Windows 10: Strange performance problem with dllhost related to EDP?

Discus and support Strange performance problem with dllhost related to EDP? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've had a problem on one of my Windows 10 PCs for a while where the CPU usage spikes when you open the start menu, causing a considerable slowdown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xtcrefugee, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Strange performance problem with dllhost related to EDP?

I've had a problem on one of my Windows 10 PCs for a while where the CPU usage spikes when you open the start menu, causing a considerable slowdown which continues for quite a long time afterwards. I'd assumed it was a problem with SearchUI.exe as that seemed to be using a large proportion of the CPU time, but after further investigation today I think the problem is now with dllhost.exe, if I kill that process when it spikes the system returns to normal. Using the sysinternals process monitor shows what dllhost.exe is trying to do at the time, and strangely all it's doing is repeatedly trying to access a non-existent registry key, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EnterpriseDataProtection\Policies

I've looked this up and it seems "Enterprise Data Protection" is something MS added to Windows 10 Pro in the November update, which is when my performance problems first started. Process monitor showed it was failing with "NAME NOT FOUND", so I tried adding the key and also the EDPEnforcementLevel value to tell Windows not to use EDP. Unfortunately this hasn't fixed the problem, dllhost.exe still accesses HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EnterpriseDataProtection\Policies continuously, only this time with a "SUCCESS" message.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

:)

xtcrefugee, Feb 12, 2016

2. Cannot share connection

Oh, and I also tried a clean boot and a method presented here on the community where you add dllhost, but 32-bit way didn't work for me so I used
    C:\Windows\syswow64\dllhost path instead of
    C:\Windows\System32\dllhost to resolve COM Surrogate issue. Nothing fixes the problem.

skristian2, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

Strange performance problem with dllhost related to EDP?

1. Strange performance problem with dllhost related to EDP? - Similar Threads - Strange performance problem

2. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  3. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  4. Strange performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange performance issues: For several months i've been having very strange performance issues on my PC. Occasionally, things like video playback and window functionality will freeze, alt-tabbing will no longer work for a period of time [and inputs queue up and fire off once the system returns to...
  5. Related To Some Performance Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Related To Some Performance Issues: I have Windows 10 version 1903 installed on my laptop with specifications as follows :- Intel i3 2348M @ 2.30 GHz 6GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB Hard Disk I have these all installed into my laptop but my laptop is lagging . I tried using the tips on this link...
  6. Related To Some Performance Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Related To Some Performance Issues: I have Windows 10 version 1903 installed on my laptop with specifications as follows :- Intel i3 2348M @ 2.30 GHz 6GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB Hard Disk I have these all installed into my laptop but my laptop is lagging . I tried using the tips on this link...
  7. Related to performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Related to performance issues: Hi all, I was very excited that my laptop has now got 6 GB RAM. So I installed Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on it. I found that it was lagging too much. But this game worked perfectly in windows 7 in 2 GB RAM. What can I do now to run it without lags ??...
  8. Strange Bug related to Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Bug related to Windows Updates: I've noticed a pattern in the past 3 Updates I've gotten Pushed into my computer. After about 3 Weeks of delaying the update ( I give ample time for Windows to fix the Computer-bricking bugs in them) I start getting a weird symptom. Every 12 hours, Exactly like clockwork,...
  9. Strange internet connection... Printer related?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange internet connection... Printer related?: I did a windows 10 update last night and after all was said and done I had a strange internet connection that I did not add or recognize. When I right click on it the only option that is available is the connect. How do I get rid of this. I cannot find it anywhere else....
  10. Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange MIDI-port problem (10-port-limitation-related): I have a VOX AMP that has a USB connection uses a KORG USB midi driver. The connection has to be made within the old 10-MIDI-port-limitation, otherwise the AMP is not seen by the KORG Tone Room software. Now strange things (?) happen on my Windows 10 system. The driver...