Windows 10: Strange Popup

Discus and support Strange Popup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, for the last week I get the below popup about 2 to 3 times a day. any one know what is going on? [img] 92522 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sven1458, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Sven1458 Win User

Strange Popup

Hi all,
    for the last week I get the below popup about 2 to 3 times a day.
    any one know what is going on?

Strange Popup [​IMG]

:)

Sven1458, Aug 31, 2017

2. Strange Popups

1. No

2. Both were already installed

FrankHarbin, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Strange Popups

I keep getting popups in IE that go to
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/internet-explorer

The problem is I get several, as if I have a virus/malware on my computer. I have run several anti-virus and malware programs, but none seem to help. The issue will typically come up when I open a new tab. I have my home page set to Google.com. The curser
    will be blinking in the search bar. As I go to type something in, I will then get a cascade of popup pages that go to the above site. I checked the security cert, and it says it's from Microsoft. This has been happening for 6 days now, any advise.

FrankHarbin, Aug 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Strange Popup

The default app you have set for epub isntworking so its resetting it what have you get set to open epub?

Samuria, Aug 31, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    This means that something has tried to change one of the file association settings by a method not approved by Microsoft. Often this is due to using old software that uses methods of manipulating the registry settings that were once allowed but are now deprecate by Microsoft.

It can be difficult to identify the culprit because the app association being reset often bears no obvious relationship to the program that triggers the reset. Also, the reset may nnot occur when you first open the program, it often only happens when you use a part of its features that access the file associations. The 'File.. Open...' operation can do it.

Once the 'guilty' app has been identified, the problem can often be cured by installing an updated version.

As an example, here's a thread where an older version of Irfanview was the culprit and the latest version was the cure.

Setting up Windows 10 Pro

6. Sven1458 Win User
    Thanks to both of you.
    I found the place where you can set the association, as soon as I opened it, I got about 20 of those popups. some where from the windows program Photos. most of them went by so fast I could not see the extension that was doing this, but 2 where from Photos. Now that is a windows program installed with windows. Did this happen during an upgrade? I don't know what to do next, or do I need to do anything at all?
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Aug 31, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Set the association as you wish, and just keep an eye out for it happening again. It may well not happen again, but if it does note what program you were using at the time, it may need an update. Photos and the other Microsoft-supplied apps won't be triggering it, but some (particularly older) third-party apps may.

8. Sven1458 Win User

Strange Popup

Most of the time this happens, I was in Edge, surfing, as seen in my attachment.
    I keep an eye on it.
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange Popup

1. Strange Popup - Similar Threads - Strange Popup

2. Strange Popup Showing on the windows screen.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange Popup Showing on the windows screen.: Hello Everyone, I bought this laptop roughly two weeks ago and I have been seeing random and useless popups on the bottom right corner of the windows screen. I've attached the pictures for reference. Further, after clicking on the popup, different links open which show...
  3. I have a ROG Tower and I keep getting a strange popup that vanishes when I don't click on it.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I have a ROG Tower and I keep getting a strange popup that vanishes when I don't click on it.: I've been getting a strange popup when I turn on my computer, It happens in any web browser, I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I don't click on it. and it goes away immediately if I click into any other spot on any other window. I can't seem to see where its coming...
  4. I have a ROG Tower and I keep getting a strange popup that vanishes when I don't click on it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a ROG Tower and I keep getting a strange popup that vanishes when I don't click on it.: I've been getting a strange popup when I turn on my computer, It happens in any web browser, I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I don't click on it. and it goes away immediately if I click into any other spot on any other window. I can't seem to see where its coming...
  5. I have a ROG Tower and I keep getting a strange popup that vanishes when I don't click on it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Strange MainWindow popup in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange MainWindow popup in the taskbar: Hello there.Somehow while I've been using my Nitro 5 laptop, there's suddenly a "MainWindow" pop-up in the taskbar almost every time I start my laptop.This is how it looks like, however, it took me a few attempts to take a screenshot due to once it has shown, it just...
  7. Strange MainWindow popup in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange MainWindow popup in the taskbar: Hello there.Somehow while I've been using my Nitro 5 laptop, there's suddenly a "MainWindow" pop-up in the taskbar almost every time I start my laptop.This is how it looks like, however, it took me a few attempts to take a screenshot due to once it has shown, it just...
  8. Strange MainWindow popup in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Strange Popup - Windows 10 User

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange Popup - Windows 10 User: I have a home user on Windows 10. He frequently receives the following popup: [ATTACH] The occurrence of the popup is not consistent. He may see it after logging into the pc or just while accessing Outlook, Word, Firefox, etc. When it appears, his mouse cursor is...
  10. strange "New message on your phone" Windows 10 popup.

in Windows 10 Support
    strange "New message on your phone" Windows 10 popup.: Does anybody know what might cause this? I don't use a windows phone, and don't have any microsoft accounts signed in to it either. It was only briefly displayed in the corner and had a few options regarding it of which I can't remember the name of. Could it be a bug? Any...