Windows 10: Strange Printers & Scanners Issue

Discus and support Strange Printers & Scanners Issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just installed Windows 10 onto a new SSD installed into a laptop. All available Microsoft, Dell, and application updates have been applied. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wade Knox, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Wade Knox Win User

Strange Printers & Scanners Issue

Just installed Windows 10 onto a new SSD installed into a laptop. All available Microsoft, Dell, and application updates have been applied.

The user contacted me wanting to change their default printer, which he knew how to do, but could not get it to work. Upon investigation, the Printers & Scanners windows does not operate as it should. When you click on a printer in the list, it should expand (or add a row) below it for the buttons to appear in. However, on this computer, it does not push the printer below it down, but instead adds the "Open queue" and "Manage" buttons to the same row as the printer that should be pushed down (see image below).

Strange Printers & Scanners Issue dbeb0bfe-9e8b-4138-a835-2b79b849c2d4?upload=true.jpg

And when you move the mouse down to the buttons and click on one of them, instead of activating the button, it clicks on the printer. In the image above, when we try to click on either of the buttons, it selects the Nuance PDF printer. This applies to all of the printers in the list except the OneNote printer, which operates correctly.

We did manage to get the default printer changed by pressing <TAB> twice to get to the Manage button, but I would like to truly resolve the issue rather than just provide a work-around.

To confirm, "Let Windows manage my default printer" is deselected, so is not a factor.

Can anyone offer an idea why this might be happening to this system or what I can try to do to resolve the issue?

:)

Wade Knox, Jul 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 recognizes my printer+scanner only as a printer.

Hello,

Another method you may try is to uninstall and reinstall the printer. The following are the steps:

Remove your printer

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners.
    • Under Printers & scanners, find the printer, select it, and then select Remove device.

Install or add a local printer

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners.
    • Under Printers & Scanners, see if your printer is installed.
    • If you don’t see your device, select Add a printer or scanner. Wait for it to find available printers, choose the one you want, and then select Add device.

On the other hand, we suggest also that you reach out the manufacturer of your printer/scanner for the driver availability or work around.

Regards.

JohnMel And, Jul 16, 2019
  3. Remove Old Printers from "Add a printer or scanner"

Hi,

My apologies for the delayed response.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to remove unwanted Printers and check if it resolves the issue. Here's how:

1. Right click on Start and select Control Panel
    > Devices and Printers.

2. Under Printers, select the unwanted Printer and click on
    Remove device.

3. Now go to Start menu and navigate to Settings >
    Devices > Printers & scanners and check whether the printers

are listed under Add printers & scanners.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Strange Printers & Scanners Issue

Scanner

Hi JSmith,

Your scanner should be installed first in order for your computer to recognize it. Since you're using a printer/scanner in one, you need to add or install the device as a printer and as a scanner. Make sure that the printer is properly connected to your
    computer and is turned on when you try to install it. Follow these steps:

• Click Start > Settings > Devices.
    • Under Add printers & scanners, click the + sign and select
      Add device.

Once added, try checking if you're able to scan. If your computer still doesn't detect the scanner, then we suggest that you get in touch with HP Support for further assistance.

Feel free to let us know if you need more information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Strange Printers & Scanners Issue

1. Strange Printers & Scanners Issue - Similar Threads - Strange Printers Scanners

2. HP Printer/scanner issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Printer/scanner issues: I have a basic HP 2700 All In One Printer/Scanner. Problem. getting it to print. It likes to give me the run around now and then....again it won't print. I've run the course with trouble shooting. uninstalled/reinstalled. It's stating its on metered/offline...thats new. It...
  3. HP Printer/scanner issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Printer/scanner issues: I have a basic HP 2700 All In One Printer/Scanner. Problem. getting it to print. It likes to give me the run around now and then....again it won't print. I've run the course with trouble shooting. uninstalled/reinstalled. It's stating its on metered/offline...thats new. It...
  4. HP Printer/scanner issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Epson Scanner/Printer Sync Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Epson Scanner/Printer Sync Issue: I am getting an error that says that OneDrive is telling me that I have a sync issue as I do not have access permission to my EpsonScanSmart.Ink. I have restarted my computer but the error still occurs. I need help to resolve this but I am not a techie so complex instructions...
  6. Epson Scanner/Printer Sync Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Epson Scanner/Printer Sync Issue: I am getting an error that says that OneDrive is telling me that I have a sync issue as I do not have access permission to my EpsonScanSmart.Ink. I have restarted my computer but the error still occurs. I need help to resolve this but I am not a techie so complex instructions...
  7. Printer Scanner Issue

Printer Scanner Issue: I had to purchase a new laptop. The new laptop doesn't have a CD drive so I could not install my printer with the CD that it came with. I was able to install the printer on my new laptop but the scan feature of the printer doesn't recognize my laptop. How can I resolve...
  8. Scanner to Printer

Scanner to Printer: Hello, I have scanned an instruction sheep which is 6" X 4", and I would like to print it as an A4 size, making the instruction lettering larger, I have poor eyesight and cannot read the instructions properly, Is there a way to do this please, I woud appreciate any help yo...
  9. printer and scanner

printer and scanner: my scanner not show on destop so I can not scan any documents. Kindly help me. thanks Hariom https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printer-and-scanner/40e6688e-ebb6-40e7-96e0-b371dbcb9733
  10. scanner and printer

scanner and printer: build 10049; i'm able to print but when i scan i get this error message ; i change location but i get the same error; can some one help, sure appreciated [img] 5355