Windows 10: Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v

Discus and support Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have Photoshop Elements running fine in a Hyper-v image, but the application crashes (reboots) Win 10 1809 in graphic intensive conditions when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by hanks, Jan 9, 2020.

1. hanks Win User

Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v

I have Photoshop Elements running fine in a Hyper-v image, but the application crashes (reboots) Win 10 1809 in graphic intensive conditions when running in the HOST system. It's most likely related to GPU since it is not enabled in hyper-v. There is much less allocated memory in hyper-v, but the app runs fine.

I have turned off the graphics processor in both Nvidia and within the application, but the crashes in the HOST persists. The event viewer logs the system restart, but nothing is logged prior to the crash. It's not a video driver issue since in hyper-v the app works perfectly. One difference with the host: the hyper-v system has no internet switches installed.

What could be causing this very weird behavior?

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add: The hyper-v system is identical to the host system -- it was created using Macrium.

:)

hanks, Jan 9, 2020

2. Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jan 9, 2020
  3. PhilB_VA Win User
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 and Transfers

I upgraded my Windows 10 Home recently to Windows 10 Pro to use Hyper-V for legacy software. I set up Hyper-V without too much difficulty, installed Windows XP as the operating system, and everything operated fine. Then I discovered Hyper-V seems to be
    user-hostile when it comes to transferring files from the host PC to the VM. Most of the help I found on the internet was highly technical and/or written several years ago when Hyper-V rolled out on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Microsoft's VPC 2007 was a wonderful, intuitive piece of software. I miss it. Do you have step-by-step instructions in simple English for configuring Hyper-V to share documents with the host PC, and vice versa? Do you have any insight whether a simplified
    fix is coming in the near future?

PhilB_VA, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v

Resetting a Windows 10 that hosts a VM using Hyper-V

My Windows 10 Pro that I use to host a virtual machine using Hyper-V had a windows update failure and is unable to boot. I have tried to system restore with no success and also startup repair with no success. My next step was to try to reset the PC and
    I would like to know if resetting the PC will delete my Hyper-V virtual machine?

ScottTech1, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v

1. Strange Problem: PhotoApp crashes host system but runs fine in hyper-v - Similar Threads - Strange Problem PhotoApp

2. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which has been operating okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as...
  3. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which has been operating okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as...
  4. Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Attempting to run MSERT or MSRT on a VM Hyper-V Manager crashes the host system both host...: I have a VM running Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737 which operates okay with no problems at all for more than two years now.The host system where the Hyper-V Manager runs is also Windows 10 x64 1809 OS build 17763.4737, and this operates okay as well.Moreover, in both...
  5. Hyper-V crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V crash: I been going to school for IT and want to activate hyper-v in my computer. As soon as it had to restart up I can log in with my password then the computer crashes every 30 seconds. I had to do a complete reboot and it never crash after. But when Ingot tonthis comper tech...
  6. Hyper-V host performance hit?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V host performance hit?: Hi, I'm wondering how much overhead/performance loss I'll have if I enable Hyper-V on my Surface Go. I have seen around on the internet that a lot of users especially in gaming have been seeing performance hits up to 30% performance loss. or up to 20-40 fps loss in gaming....
  7. Can't run games on host machine while Hyper-V is running

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can't run games on host machine while Hyper-V is running: Hi So, I just made a W10 VM with Hyper-V and it's running fine (I only assigned it 1 core and 1.5GB of memory). The VM is running a background process that consumes nothing, it's basically idling. Now I go back to the host machine and I can't start any game. None. They all...
  8. Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature

Hyper-V Hypervisor not running - can't remove Hyper-V feature: I am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 11082 (upgraded from Windows 1151 fully updated. I had installed the Hyper-V feature in the latest Windows 1151 but had not used it before I received and installer the Insider Preview edition. The Hyper-V Manager was configured OK...
  9. HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST

HYPER-V won't install properly on W10 HOST: Hi there I can't install HYPER-V properly on a W10 HOST -- gets message about something in BIOS not enabled. Installs fine on W8.1 . On W10 the boxes are greyed out. Cheers jimbo 2284
  10. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...