Windows 10: Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux

Discus and support Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just removed Ubuntu from my laptop and installed Linux and seem to be having an issue with my WiFi. On my iPhone and previously on Linux I would get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AggravatingAbroad, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux

I just removed Ubuntu from my laptop and installed Linux and seem to be having an issue with my WiFi. On my iPhone and previously on Linux I would get speeds of around 95Mbps but on Windows I am getting speeds of around 60Mbps.

I have tried setting TCP settings to optimal through the TG TCP Optimizer app and have tried updating the driver. I connected to the 2GHz band and speeds plummeted to 20Mbps.

Laptop: Acer Spin 5 i7 (2017)

Windows: November 2019 version

WiFi driver: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377

Speedtests on all devices were done during and outside peak, on 5Ghz band, in the same place about 15m from router.

submitted by /u/AggravatingAbroad
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AggravatingAbroad, Dec 28, 2019
  2. mjouse Win User

Windows computer slower download speeds

I have an HP Envy from 2016, with a gigabit ethernet port and wireless ac. This computer is consistently getting slower speeds than my Android devices, and my older linux computer. Wired(same wire and ports as when I plug the linux computer in), I can't
    get over 100Mbps. It usually caps around 95. Wireless, I can sometimes get around 150Mbps(which is my Comcast download speed), but not all the time.

My phone is consistently getting 140-170Mbps over AC, and my linux computer is consistently getting the same 140-170Mbps wired.

It seems like something in Windows 10 is causing this issue.

mjouse, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Download speed is much slower than the Upload Speed, using Windows 10 Home

Hi Einstein

I am an independent advisor here to help

I would work through the following steps offered by AngelCarreno in the thread linked below

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your PC to Fix Slow Internet after Windows 10 Update

Shut down the peer to peer update process on your PC. That is to say, you need to close the channel which you can download applications and system updates from other PC’s connected to the server since it limits your internet bandwidth seeding to other users.

Step 1. Click Start menu and then type Settings to open it.

Step 2. Select “Update and Security“.

Step 3. Click the “Advanced Options” tab.

Step 4. Click the option “Choose How Updates are Delivered".

Step 5. Turn off the On button.

2. Adjust the Internet Bandwidth Settings

Since windows 10, by default, reserves 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and its operating system, you can’t browse or surf on the internet with 100% internet connection. This solution speeds up the dropping internet speed by trimming
    down the bandwidth which is reserved for Windows 10 and system applications. Follow the step-by-step guide to tackle slow internet after Windows 10 Update.

Step 1. Press Windows shortcut keys Win + R to open Run dialog box.

Step 2. Type gpedit.msc and then hit OK.

Step 3. Give permissions. A pop-up window will open with title of Group Policy.

Step 4. Click on Computer Configuration on the right side of the window.

Step 5. Navigate to: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth.

Step 6. Click on Enable.

Step 7. Change the Value from 20 to 0.

Step 8. Apply and then click OK.

3. Disable Window Auto-Tuning

Window Auto-Tuning which is enabled by default improves performance for programs by receiving TCP data over a network. Slower internet speed after Windows 10 Update could hit your computer when Window Auto-Tuning feature is “ON”. While luckily, you can disable
    Windows Auto-Tuning level to improve the internet speed for the Windows 10 update. Use administrator privileges to process the following steps.

Step 1. Press Win + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).

Step 2. Type the command netsh interface tcp show global in the window.

Step 3. Check for Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level and if it is normal, you will need to disable it.

Step 4. Type the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled to disable it.

You can perform an internet speed test to see whether those adjustments improve your internet speed or not. If not, you can re-enable the Window Auto-Tuning level by typing the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal in the Command Prompt (Admin).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

TechGuy_82, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux

Slow Internet speeds since returning home

I did. They ran through all the necessary steps with me to check and said they cannot see a problem on their end.

AvidTechUser, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux

1. Strange problem where my internet speeds are slower on Windows 10 than on iPhone and Linux - Similar Threads - Strange problem where

2. Wifi speed slower on pc than on Iphone.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi speed slower on pc than on Iphone.: I build my own pc a few months ago and everything worked fine, but about a month ago it started to slow down. I have 250 Mbits/s on my phone and on almost every other device in my house, but i reach only between 10-60 Mbits/s on my pc. I did speed tests at the same distance...
  3. Slower internet speeds on HP Laptop Than Normal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slower internet speeds on HP Laptop Than Normal: So I have this problem where my internet speed is not reciprocated on my HP laptop. I normally fix this by using HP Assistant where it would reset my network adapters and I would gain my normal mbps 120 but recently HP assistant is not fixing my issues and I’m stuck with an...
  4. Slower internet speeds on HP Laptop Than Normal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slower internet speeds on HP Laptop Than Normal: So I have this problem where my internet speed is not reciprocated on my HP laptop. I normally fix this by using HP Assistant where it would reset my network adapters and I would gain my normal mbps 120 but recently HP assistant is not fixing my issues and I’m stuck with an...
  5. Slower internet speeds on HP Laptop Than Normal

6. Slower Internet on Windows vs Linux?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slower Internet on Windows vs Linux?: Hello, Not quite sure where else to ask this question... Recently I started having issues with my broadband 1GBPS connection. I was daily driving Arch for a while, but since I've been playing more games in quarantine I've begrudgingly switched to Windows. Initially Windows...
  7. Download speed slower than upload speed

Download speed slower than upload speed: My Windows 10 desktop has slower download speeds 10Mbps compared to upload speeds 30Mbps. On other devices connecting to the same router, I can get download speeds of 90+MBps on our 100/40 plan. This is true whether I connect with ethernet or wifi. I have changed the...
  8. Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi: I will try to fix my wired internet speed that is 6 times slower than my wifi speed! My internet speed is only 80 Mbps whereas * laptop windows 10 * a realtek card PCIe GbE Family Controller #8168E, Maximum speed download/upload 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps, latest driver (10.36 -...
  9. Problem with internet speed connection. Slower internet on win 10.

Problem with internet speed connection. Slower internet on win 10.: Hi all. I have a weird problem with my internet connection. After i had instaled win 10, my interned slowed down. Before i had speed around 50 mbps (old result under) [img] Now my speed is 10-15 mbps - no more. [img] I do not know what to do. I did nothing...
  10. Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload

Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload: Three weeks ago, I had Gigabit FIOS installed, but I have never been able to get gigabit speeds going both ways. I always get 900+ Mbps UPLOAD but never more than 300 Mbps DOWNLOAD. But, I get 900/900+ Mbps between the Router and the Server every time, *AND*, here's the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet speed much slower on windows 10 than linux