Windows 10: Strange problem with a 2.1 speaker set and its mute function

Discus and support Strange problem with a 2.1 speaker set and its mute function in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have an HP 15 laptop. The issue I'm having occured in windows 8.1 and now in windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.420 - same laptop. Issue:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomseys, Jun 19, 2016.

1. tomseys Win User

Strange problem with a 2.1 speaker set and its mute function

Hi. I have an HP 15 laptop. The issue I'm having occured in windows 8.1 and now in windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.420 - same laptop.

Issue:

I have a new Harmon Kardon soundsticks 3 2.1 computer speaker set. This is connected into the headphone jack of laptop. The speakers work great, sound excellent.

They have a mute function where when you touch both capacitive buttons that control volume up and down at the same time on one of the speakers, the sound is muted.

However this mute function doesn't work when I have the laptop plugged into the wall outlet. When i unplug the laptop and the laptop goes into battery mode, it works perfect.

I tested the soundsticks with an ipod, a netbook and another exact same model laptop plugged in (same plug as problem laptop). The muting works flawlessly on all of them.

I can't figure out why this is happening. I've duped the settings as much as possible with the other same exact laptop and it still does not work.

I've tried uninstalling the realtek driver and reinstalling, doesn't help.
    I've copied the power settings from the well working laptop, doesn't help.
    Everything is updated. The soundsticks seem fine as they work correctly on everything (including a same model laptop with very sim config) but my laptop.

It does seem to be related to power somehow since the laptop unplugged has the soundsticks working right.

Is there a driver that deals with power I could uninstall and reinstall?

Laptop works perfectly otherwise.

Thanks.

:)

tomseys, Jun 19, 2016

2. LUMIA 535 SPEAKER PROBLEM

My Lumia 535 speaker has lost its volume (mute) then later on it came back then lost again. Is there any speaker setting here in this phone ? I need your help.

JovenTorres, Jun 19, 2016
  3. audio driver issue

After installing the new drivers, you may have to check the computer Sound settings to ensure your card is set as the default sound device. Then check the configuration for your speakers. The default install setting seems to be 7.1, which can make 2.0/
    2.1 speakers sound distorted. Just change the speaker config setting to 2.0/ 2.1 if that's the case.

Richard Law Bijster, Jun 19, 2016
  4. fireberd Win User

I would suspect a grounding problem. If both the laptop AC power adapter and the speakers are in the same AC power outlet, try a different outlet for one of the units. Is the laptop power adapter AC power plug the 3 prong grounding type or just two prongs? Same with the AC power adapter for the speakers? If they are both 3 prong you could try isolating the ground on the speaker AC power plug with a 3 prong to 2 prong (no ground) adapter and see if that works.

We encounter the ground problem many times with musical amps and effects and have to "isolate" the ground on one device for "ground loop hum" problems.

fireberd, Jun 19, 2016
  5. tomseys Win User
    Hi. Thanks. The laptop has a three prong and the speakers are two prong. I have a power strip and I removed the speakers from it leaving the laptop and moved the speaker to an extension cord plugged into an adjacent wall outlet. Still no change.

I did take my roommates laptop which is the same model and brought it to my desk and plugged it the same power cord as my laptop and plugged the speaker jack into it and it worked fine. So I think it should have affected his laptop the same since it was exact same setup if it was grounding (though his laptop was not in exact same position as mine). Maybe I'll try that adapter thing or try some other plugging arrangement. I'm so frustrated with this I feel like buying a new laptop.

tomseys, Jun 19, 2016
  6. tomseys Win User
    Would it make sense to get that adapter for the computer or should it have that ground?

tomseys, Jun 19, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    I would suspect your laptop might be faulty and it is leaking a signal via the ground or screen on the audio lead that is interfering with the speaker controls.

philc43, Jun 19, 2016
  8. tomseys Win User

Thanks philc43. I think you might be right. I bought a new power strip and took everything out with just trying the speakers and laptop and it doesn't work. Added: also swapped ac adpaters and that didn't help. Unplug it and it is great. I had a 2.1 set before this, a logitech z313 that gave me a lot of problems with the right speakers going out after using the headphone jack built into it. It's an issue that model is infamous for. I wonder if dealing with that may have contributed to somehow damaging something. Anyway, I guess I'll pick something up at best buy and just keep this as an extra laptop. Thanks.

tomseys, Jun 19, 2016
  9. tomseys Win User
    Okay so I sold the sound sticks to my roommate and he put them on his laptop (the soundsticks muting worked on it when we connected it by my desk/laptop) and the mute doesn't work just like on my laptop. So I'm thinking its not my laptop or the laptops (since his did work but in a slightly different position) but something to do with the desks (we have the same wood desks) or the position of the laptops on it. In any case, he doesn't care about the mute buttons not working since he can mute on windows so but still weird.

tomseys, Jun 21, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    Very weird! Do you have static problems in your area caused by low humidity and maybe the carpets and footwear that could be causing problems when you touch the mute buttons? Probably not worth spending more time on it as he seems ok with the speakers. At least you can rest assured that the laptop is not the problem.

philc43, Jun 21, 2016
  11. tomseys Win User
    No there is no carpet only a wood floor. We do both wear flip flops. I really tried a lot of things. I even updated my main laptop to windows 10 from windows 8.1 (not really liking windows 10 much from previous experience on this laptop) since he has 10 on his and then did a clean Win 10 install and reinstalled everything (hours and hours and eye pain) as part of trying to isolate it. But, in the end, he's happy with them (I think they sound a little too bright for my taste) and they work great save for just one tiny thing.

Using the capacitive buttons in any case is a pain in the ass since you have to stretch for them and its hard to finely control them. Easier to just use the laptop volume control. On the plus side Win 10 seems a little better than my last adventure with it so that's good and I think I'll stick with it. Also glad that the laptop seems okay as I did not want to buy another one since I am very happy with the one I have. No more capacitive buttoned 2.1 computer speaker sets for me though.

tomseys, Jun 21, 2016
  12. tomseys Win User
    I just tried the mute function on the soundsticks while showing my friend something on them and the speakers mute function is now working perfectly. I guess they must be sensitive to something that changed. Anyway, he's happy with it because it is a very fast way to put the sound off if necessary, even if it does involve a little reaching.

tomseys, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange problem with a 2.1 speaker set and its mute function - Similar Threads - Strange problem speaker

2. Integrated Windows mute microphone function, similar to mute speakers function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Integrated Windows mute microphone function, similar to mute speakers function: As per the title: It's now 2021, videoconferencing is a reality of day to day life for many people, others do podcasting and videocasting. We've had an integrated mute speakers function in Windows for some time, and you can utilize this via multimedia keyboards or assign...
  3. Speaker icon on mute

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speaker icon on mute: My speaker icon has a red X and speaker setup UNKNOWN and is OFF can't figure out how to turn on! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-on-mute/e9fe8207-57f9-41c4-badd-0dcd907e8134
  4. Speaker automatically mutes sound?

Speaker automatically mutes sound?: Hello Hello, i listen to music via bluetooth with my devil speaker over youtube (chrome) and everything works fine. But when I am on another page in Firefox and e.g. a video is playing which I pause or switch off, the sound of Chrome is automatically switched off. Not...
  5. speakers muting

speakers muting: my speakers quit working on my laptop, which is an HP using realtek audio. I have lost my sound, it is very low and if you put the speakers near your ear you can hardly hear anything. When I try to do things with the speaker settings and try to play something, it may work for...
  6. Speaker is muted in Skype

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speaker is muted in Skype: I cannot hear the other person. The speakers work in all other applications. In trying to troubleshoot this I stumbled on a screen that shows whether the speakers are working in various application. All showed they were except Skype which is grayed out. Solution? 63.778...
  7. "Sounds" function missing from speaker settings

"Sounds" function missing from speaker settings: I recently bought a new microphone and tried to set up on my desktop, it auto installed with no trouble but it still wouldn't work. The manual said to go into "sounds" on my speaker settings on my task bar. But "sounds" on my pop up tab isn't there, and when I tried it on my...
  8. 2 sets of stereo speakers joined

2 sets of stereo speakers joined: Hello, I am using a Surface Go with Windows 10 Home x64 and I have a question, is there any way to make one set of quadraphonic speakers by joining 2 sets of stereo speakers? I just want to enhance my experience with Windows 10 1st speaker: Surface Go 2nd speaker: Sony TV,...
  9. Speaker icon muted

Speaker icon muted: Speaker icon muted at top left corner on microsoft edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-muted/d4faa040-1f2f-4dd6-ab39-e1289624f6d0
  10. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker: I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer....