Windows 10: Strange reboot during normal operation

Discus and support Strange reboot during normal operation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On December 16th 2018, my wifes computer was running normally, we finished up playing a few hours of world of warcraft and went to bed. A few hours... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DrehanStarshyne, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Strange reboot during normal operation

On December 16th 2018, my wifes computer was running normally, we finished up playing a few hours of world of warcraft and went to bed. A few hours later when she got up in the middle of the night around 1 am her computer had restarted, but instead of showing her the normal windows 10 log in screen it had rolled all the way back to a windows XP install. Her windows XP was upgraded to windows 10 during the release of windows of 10 event where you were able to upgrade for free. She has run windows 10 without an issue since that day, I cannot perform a system restore while in windows 10 and any attempt to restart in safe mode or to browse the drive yields files that only predate the launch of windows 10.

There are several years of lost data including passwords and personal information including photos and the like. Does anyone know what could have caused this or a way to fix it?

:)

DrehanStarshyne, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Bon3fish Win User

BSOD on startup, operates fine after reboot

I am having issues with a home built pc that I have not been able to resolve on my own. BSOD happens on startup almost every time. PC bsod then reboots and operates normally. Any information you can provide regarding what is causing this and steps to resolve is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bon3fish, Dec 17, 2018
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Dec 17, 2018
  4. hpholm Win User

Strange reboot during normal operation

Lumia 735 rebooting

The first troubleshooting step for strange restarts is a new SIM. Your carrier/operator should provide one for free when the trouble is explained to them. A new SIM was suggested earlier, so - have you tried this already?

--

Hans

hpholm, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Strange reboot during normal operation

1. Strange reboot during normal operation - Similar Threads - Strange reboot during

2. Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.: As per the title, sometimes while using the computer it will just randomly computer power off as if the plug was pulled, then after a few seconds delay it will power on automatically and boot up as if nothing happened. It seems to happen quite irregularly maybe 1-2 per month,...
  3. Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.: As per the title, sometimes while using the computer it will just randomly computer power off as if the plug was pulled, then after a few seconds delay it will power on automatically and boot up as if nothing happened. It seems to happen quite irregularly maybe 1-2 per month,...
  4. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations: Laptop was running great HP Pro Book 450 G3. While on a web-site and hooking up HDMI for auxiliary display , the system crashed very odd. Now upon startup attempt, message reads 'inaccessible boot device'. Using any feature of the 'Automatic Repair' restart or advanced...
  5. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations: Laptop was running great HP Pro Book 450 G3. While on a web-site and hooking up HDMI for auxiliary display , the system crashed very odd. Now upon startup attempt, message reads 'inaccessible boot device'. Using any feature of the 'Automatic Repair' restart or advanced...
  6. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation: Hi I've a Sony Viao laptop i5-3230M, 8GB RAM which originally came with Win7 pre-installed. I took the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10 Home (currently version 1903 (OS Build 10.0.18362.900) whilst it was available. Since then, 'cold' boot times of > 10 mins are not unusual...
  8. Strange sound during rebooting

Strange sound during rebooting: I updated my PC from 1803 to 1809 version. Currently I hear a strange tweak sound each time I restart the system. I haven’t heard this sound before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-sound-during-rebooting/ee875fee-f824-4756-938a-83225ed3a0b1
  9. Occasional BSOD's during normal operation, various errors

Occasional BSOD's during normal operation, various errors: Hello,I recently build a custom Windows 10 desktop PC and have been getting BSOD's with various error messages during normal operation (web browsing, MS Office use, gaming, etc). I've run Memtest86 with multiple (8+) passes without any errors to test the RAM. I've also run...
  10. Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot: Hi everyone, So I asked this question a while back but did not have much luck. I have tried a lot of things since then. The problem: my newly built PC is freezing during normal mode. It freezes when I do most things, but mainly while using the internet (videos, music,...