Windows 10: Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.

Discus and support Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I've just bought an HP Zbook Studio G7, and I'm having issues when I try to put the system to sleep using the 'sleep' key on a Logitech MX Keys... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zbook_Ian, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Zbook_Ian Win User

Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour.

Hi,

I've just bought an HP Zbook Studio G7, and I'm having issues when I try to put the system to sleep using the 'sleep' key on a Logitech MX Keys Bluetooth keyboard. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. All drivers are up to date.

When I press the sleep key on the keyboard, the system hibernates, instead of going to sleep. If I choose sleep from the start menu it sleeps as expected. I've tried disabling hibernate completely using 'powercfg.exe /hibernate off'. If I then press the sleep key, nothing happens. No sleep or hibernate. Turn hibernate back on, and it's back to how it was before.

I also tried creating a desktop sleep shortcut with the following command'C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0.1.0'. This behaves in the same way as the sleep key and triggers hibernate. With hibernate disabled, this shortcut does nothing.

I've tried the keyboard on another laptop Lenovo P50, and it goes to sleep as expected. This laptop is also running Win 10 Pro version 2004. I assume this proves the keyboard is working correctly.

I've checked all the power plan settings, and everything is configured to sleep power button, closing lid, after timeout etc. All sleep settings are identical to the Lenovo laptop. I don't know if it's relevant, but the Zbook doesn't have any settings for Hybrid sleep like the Lenovo, although it's set to off on the Lenovo. I also have considerably more things available to configure on the Lenovo. I assume HP have limited the power options here.

I don't know if this is an HP problem or Windows problem, and would appreciate any suggestions of how to diagnose further.

Thanks,

Ian.

:)

Zbook_Ian, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Phillmont Win User

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Oct 15, 2020
  3. Neophile Win User
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

Any of the following situations can happen when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode.

• The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it;
    • The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few seconds to a few minutes, more frequently for a shorter time. Then, it awakes by itself;
    • The computer follows its way to sleep or hibernate (I can check by the way its lights flicker), but as soon as it gets to the end of de process, it awakes immediately (at this point, on hibernation, it also flickers the DVD light). This is the most frequent;
    • I also find very strange that after shutting the computer down correctly by clicking on the power button, if I push any key on the keyboard it boots immediately.

I scanned the file system – sfc /scannow. On the first time it repaired some files, but not all. On the second pass the result was only Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. The log is here attached.

Then, I looked for sleeping anomalies using powercfg /SystemSleepDiagnostics. The log is also attached here.

All power related settings for sleep or hibernation respect the separation of at least one minute.

I am unable to repair whatever is wrong and should be very grateful for any help. This is a less than 3-week installation and I am not very used to tie OS. I Installed Win 10 a few years ago, but didn’t like it and run back to Win 7. Now I am here again, and these issues started before 2 weeks after the installation.

There is also something strange with the mouse, but it is probably on itself: It is set for not awaking the computer, nut it does. So, before I put the computer to sleep I have to turn it off.

Windows Pro version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1110).

Neophile, Oct 15, 2020
  4. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour. 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Strange sleep/hibernate behaviour. - Similar Threads - Strange sleep hibernate

2. Strange behaviour after waking the PC from sleep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behaviour after waking the PC from sleep...: Hi If I allow the PC to go to sleep then I wake it up, it simply carries on where it left off i.e. it reopens the programs/windows etc. BUT for some reason where I have the icons pinned to the taskbar and I've opened/run some of them before sleep they don't all reappear. I'm...
  3. Strange behaviour after waking the PC from sleep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange behaviour after waking the PC from sleep...: Hi If I allow the PC to go to sleep then I wake it up, it simply carries on where it left off i.e. it reopens the programs/windows etc. BUT for some reason where I have the icons pinned to the taskbar and I've opened/run some of them before sleep they don't all reappear. I'm...
  4. Strange ethernet card behaviour after resuming from hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange ethernet card behaviour after resuming from hibernate: I have observed this strange behaviour after the laptop resumes from hibernate. The ethernet adaptor is given the unassigned to the automatic private IP address range 169.254.x.x which means DHCP failed. This is confirmed when I tried to renew the DHCP via command line and...
  5. Strange ethernet card behaviour after resuming from hibernate

Strange ethernet card behaviour after resuming from hibernate: I have observed this strange behaviour after the laptop resumes from hibernate. The ethernet adaptor is given the unassigned to the automatic private IP address range 169.254.x.x which means DHCP failed. This is confirmed when I tried to renew the DHCP via command line and...
  6. Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very strange behaviour with sleep and hibernate: Hello everyone! I rarely use sleep or hibernate so I do not know when this problem was introduced but I first noted it earlier this week. If I put my computer to sleep it immediately wakes every time. Pretty odd, but even odder is the fact that according to powercfg /lastwake...
  7. Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour: All or any of the following situations can happened when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode. The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it; The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few...
  8. Strange behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange behaviour: I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a very strange thing happening with my computer. My monitor will just all of a sudden go black, then a message saying "no signal". My computer does no power down or restart, but at the same time I can do nothing with...
  9. Skype's strange behaviour

Skype's strange behaviour: Win 10 Pro now ver 1909 build 18363.720 I have used Skype over different OS and got the latest version when I installed 10 over a year ago. It didn't work well as an App, so I adopted the Desktop version when prompted a few months later. Since then it has been working OK but...
  10. Strange signin behaviour

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange signin behaviour: I changed my Windows signin to a 4 digit login, which works fine.... today i I noticed there were two signin options for my user account , exactly the same name, plus one other I have for a family member. i chose one of ' my' accounts and it asked for a password, I tried...