Windows 10: Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps

Discus and support Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I am experiencing weird behavior with pinned apps on taskbar, I'll try to explain the issue in detail: So when I pin an app which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RomanKhomasuridze, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps

Hello,

I am experiencing weird behavior with pinned apps on taskbar, I'll try to explain the issue in detail:

So when I pin an app which is supposed to run in system tray to taskbar, application is pinned, but when I close them with X button, they continue to run in background and in system tray I see their icon BUT in taskbar, they are not highlighted as running apps anymore - only if I minimize them they appear to be active in taskbar.

This results in two inconveniences:

1. when notification arrives to application which was closed to system tray, i.e. Slack, Skype, Viber I don't see the icon flashing, and notification count badge on pinned taskbar icon,

1. And most importantly, when I click on pinned icon for the app, it appears as if Windows is trying to launch the application, which results in delay of 1-2 second until app appears in contrary if I click on icon in notification area app appears instantly.

This appears to be happening with all apps, so this is not individual app behavior.

So in summary - for example with Skype for desktop - I pin it to taskbar, I open skype, I close it with X button, Skype continues to run in background with system tray icon, but in Taskbar there is no indication that application is running, and I have received new notification. When I click on taskbar icon, it takes 1 or 2 seconds to bring skype up, in contrary to clicking to system tray icon of skype, which brings it up instantly.

To clarify, I haven't been using Windows for last year, but I have been using it for more than 15 years prior to that, so I wonder if this is new behavior of taskbar and apps, or there is something wrong with my system?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!

:)

RomanKhomasuridze, Apr 2, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

Pinning an app to taskbar does not remove it from Start all apps list. It list in Start under letter M as in Microsoft Edge, you should find it there even when it is pinned to taskbar.

Kari, Apr 2, 2021
  3. Strange behavior of taskbar menu

Since i've installed latest updates strange behavior of taskbar menu appears: context menu called by right mb click doesn't work. Also I can't invoke search and left mb click on start doesn't work.

HOw can i solve this issue?

ПремьерВзлет, Apr 2, 2021
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps

Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

I tried using Edge and as I liked it I right clicked the app listing and the pinned it to the taskbar.

What I want to know is how to put that Edge listing back with the other apps because if I unpin it from the taskbar how does one reattach Edge to the listings.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps

1. Strange Taskbar behavior with pinned apps - Similar Threads - Strange Taskbar behavior

2. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behavior related to Create a Pin: Windows 10Today, when booted up, one of our computers presented us with a full screen message to create a new pin. The message screen looked somewhat like the picture in the article already here, but not exactly. I wasn't present for the whole process, so I can't swear to the...
  3. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange behavior related to Create a Pin: Windows 10Today, when booted up, one of our computers presented us with a full screen message to create a new pin. The message screen looked somewhat like the picture in the article already here, but not exactly. I wasn't present for the whole process, so I can't swear to the...
  4. Strange behavior related to Create a Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  6. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  7. Strange Taskbar Behavior?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Taskbar Behavior?: TL;DR - closing app that continues to run background, makes its pinned icon in taskbar inactive. So I returned to Windows PC after using Mac for a year or two - and I am not sure but I think pinned apps on taskbar do not behave as they used to and I am wondering if there is...
  8. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...