Windows 10: Strange things happening with Windows 10 backup and external drive

Discus and support Strange things happening with Windows 10 backup and external drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I set up Windows 10 backup to backup to an external USB drive and it seemed to be working good. Then I moved some folders around in my Documents and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ShadowLad, Nov 15, 2020.

1. ShadowLad Win User

Strange things happening with Windows 10 backup and external drive

I set up Windows 10 backup to backup to an external USB drive and it seemed to be working good. Then I moved some folders around in my Documents and clicked "backup now" in Windows backup settings. The process finished immediately and when I looked on the external drive my changes were not reflected. I ran chkdsk on the drive and it came back ok. Then I decided to copy some files manually to the drive and the files took up six times as much space on the drive as they were taking on the SSD. On the drive it said for a folder for example, size something like size 5Mb for a folder and size on disk 30Mb. The drive is formatted to exFAT. I'm not sure what to do next.

:)

ShadowLad, Nov 15, 2020
  2. Smittychat., Nov 15, 2020
  3. John Zab Win User
    Win 10 build 1607 Backup files to external hd

Hi,

To isolate the issue further regarding with external hard drive, kindly tell us more information on the following:

• Are you able to connect the external drive into another Windows 10 PC?
    • Are you experiencing the same thing happen when you connect and backup file into other external drive?
    We appreciate any response you will provide.

John Zab, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Ari94 Win User

Is it possible to use windows backup utility for External Hard drive backup to External Hard drive

Hi Smittychat, thank you very much for the reply.

There is OneDrive link (Explorer) on computer but I did not use it and do not know how it work. It was there when I had purchased computer last year.

I am not trying to backup computer rather two external hard drives.

Ari94, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Strange things happening with Windows 10 backup and external drive - Similar Threads - Strange things happening

2. Strange things happening on my PC.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange things happening on my PC.: how can I see who is logged in with my account on my company PC or another PC using my account? We are on a network, so I guess anybody could login with other accounts.Today, all of a sudden Photoshop was deleted from my computer. I literally used it 1 hour before. Strange...
  3. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  4. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  5. Some strange thing happening with scrolling

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Some strange thing happening with scrolling: Hi, I'm not sure if my Win10 installation has always worked like this, but I think not, but it's been like this for over a year. It relates to scrolling. I have a lot of subfolders. When I scroll down my list, and then stop to choose a folder which has come into view, the...
  6. backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup to external drive: I want to backup my computer to an external drive. I have windows 10 in a partition on my MacBook Pro. when I go to backup it says "no usable drive found" even though I have my i-Portable plugged in...What do I need to do to make this work?...
  7. Backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup to external drive: In the Backup section of settings, I click "backup now" and it doesn't back up. I have requested daily backups but my last one was 1 month ago. I am attempting to back up to an external drive. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. Strange things happening at bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange things happening at bootup: When I start my HP laptop with WIN10, after the bootup screen appears, if I am not prompt to hit one key to advance me to my login PIN, strange things happen. Like: old pages showing up, some containing sensitive material. Others are just various pages that I have visited in...
  9. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hi, recently I bought a new computer dell Inspiron small desktop, I also own a "Toshiba external hard drive USB 3.0 USB devise", which I used to backup my previous desktop computer for years where I saved valuable files and documents. Now when I tried to open this devise in...
  10. Strange things happening since last upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange things happening since last upgrade: My last upgrade was to Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Since then when my computer goes to sleep, on awakening the open windows are resized and moved about 60 to 70% of the time. This never happened before the upgrade. Personally I think it might be a hardware issue. I use...