Windows 10: Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10

Discus and support Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Win 10/Pro x64 Ver. 20H2 19042.804 The 'second' profile applies to this post. I'm configuring a 'new' machine and experiencing unexpected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by baumgrenze, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10

I am running Win 10/Pro x64 Ver. 20H2 19042.804 The 'second' profile applies to this post.

I'm configuring a 'new' machine and experiencing unexpected behavior when I enter Alt-F10. A small transient icon, a small black box with a blue thermometer and a number (I've seen 98 and 100) appears for 2-3 seconds in the upper left corner of the display. I captured it as a Screen Dump.

I first noticed it when I tried to enter Alt-F10, the command used to configure the file manager program, ZTreeWin. See attached image.

I subsequently determined that the same behavior applies when I enter Alt-F10 and the desktop is the only display. If I select F-10 alone the thermometer has an X below.

I am using a Logitech Ergo 860 wireless keyboard with a USB dongle installed in a blue USB 3.0 port.

The Ctrl-Alt-Del does open "Lock, Switch user, Sign out, Change a password, and Task Manager," so the Alt key is working

The F-10 key alone also opens almost the same transient Icon, a black box with a 'blue thermometer' with an X at the bottom.

I tried substituting an old PS/2 keyboard but it was not recognized. Perhaps this is because it lacked drivers?

The 3 attached images to show the 'icon' I'm talking about.

Can anyone suggest a way to get an 'honest' Alt-F10 from this keyboard? My searches suggest that MS call it an 'unassigned' function key.
    Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10 [​IMG]

:)

baumgrenze, Feb 15, 2021

2. Strange Shadow type Icon/Image Windows 10

Hi VidhuGour,

In order to help you with your concern about the strange shadow, icon or image on your Windows 10 screen, you may check and access the icon using the File Explorer of your Windows 10 PC. Follow these steps:

• Click the File Manager icon from the taskbar.
    • Click This PC.
    • Click the Desktop folder.
    • It should show you that strange desktop icon and its corresponding File name.

If it doesn't show, you may try changing your wallpaper into a darker type and see if the strange figure would still be there. If it is, then it might be a dead pixel that you currently have on your screen.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Feb 15, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Strange USB-Drive Icons

Hi, I've not looked into this at all, but looking at that folder the one that appears to contain the strange icon is
    f4e323bf-0f31-42b6-9ad6-5d5382d3fa83
    - I don't have one called 797289b8-812a-4d9e-bda5-91567fd47bc6

Would I be correct in thinking that this ico file is the clue as to which to delete?

Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10 [​IMG]

And thanks- having deleted the folder it did indeed prove necessary to use Driver Booster as described. Problem solved- for now...

dalchina, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10

1. Strange Transient Icon Results From Entering Alt-F10 - Similar Threads - Strange Transient Icon

2. Ctrl Alt Enter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ctrl Alt Enter: This shortcut brings up some kind of Rest Mode which I read as "reset" at first and freaked out. Can't find any info about it online, what is this function and what is it for? submitted by /u/MarkMan47 [link] [comments]...
  3. Strange Icon

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange Icon: Just this morning this icon kept popping up on my PC...seems to appear in everything..? Can anyone ID it and tell me how to remove it..? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icon/15f3535c-8216-4e15-8084-5d6052a5bb1e
  4. Strange Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Icon: [ATTACH] Just this morning, this strange icon has been showing up on my PC....seems to pop up in everything..? Can anyone help ID it and also how I can remove it..? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icon/755fa8e2-9a96-4f7b-b59a-ec9a30d5504b
  5. Can't get to restore point (Alt + F10)

Can't get to restore point (Alt + F10): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/UNICORNDescending [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmnuew/cant_get_to_restore_point_alt_f10/
  6. Strange Local Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Local Search Results: I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen, the search results show files (photos, videos, documents) from well before I bought this laptop. For...
  7. Press Ctrl+Alt+F10, and a keyboard will pop up. What's this?

Press Ctrl+Alt+F10, and a keyboard will pop up. What's this?: [ATTACH] Does anybody recognize this keyboard? When I press "Ctrl + Alt + F10" in the desktop, a small on-screen keyboard pops up. It is different from the "official" OSK. This keyboard has the antique Windows 98 Logo in place of the Windows key! Also on a 4k monitor...
  8. strange results attempting to repair boot

in Windows 10 Support
    strange results attempting to repair boot: I just wanted to share a weird experience I had and wanted to see if anyone had this experience before So I installed an old hard drive into my pc then removed it. When I started up windows again, I was getting the "please install a proper boot device" I couldnt boot into my...
  9. Strange icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange icons: All the icons on my desktop suddenly have arrows on them...see attached photo.does anyone know what this is.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icons/2bb3d428-68bc-488c-a3d4-1ce9fd55ff22
  10. Creation tool and strange results

in Windows 10 Support
    Creation tool and strange results: okay so I have a PC windows 10 Pro updated to creator everything was fine. except I wanted to run things on a ssd, it has a HD, this a small form machine so it only holds 1 hd or 2 ssds, wanted to get as much speed as possible. I decided to use the Creator tool, put in...