Windows 10: Strange & Unknown User Name

Discus and support Strange & Unknown User Name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I start up the computer, I get presented with this message "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again." Below that is an "OK" button. The... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by websquad, Jul 30, 2016.

1. websquad Win User

Strange & Unknown User Name

When I start up the computer, I get presented with this message "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again." Below that is an "OK" button. The user name displayed is "morga" -- my last name is "morgan". So when I click "OK" it clears off the message, and I get a prompt in lower left screen. First, my full (and correct) email address, and just below, my full (and correct) name. I get an empty password field, and when I enter the correct password, I'm logged on with no problem.

Looking at "This PC > Local Disk (C*Smile > Users" I see a user name "morga" with 5.98 GB of data in 25,059 files.

Desired result: I want to logon with my name or my Microsoft registered Email account (I really don't care which), and have the logon to be automatic (i.e., no pause, just bypass displaying all that stuff and go straight to my normal screens at start-up. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

:)

websquad, Jul 30, 2016

2. user names: account unknown & crossed administrator?

Windows 10

My PC, name ASUS, has two microsoft accounts, 1 administrator & 1 standard. I have created & deleted 2 other accounts.

In a few files or folders I have strange users, like account unknown with a reference which seems related to the classes of the windows packages, and an dministrator with a red cross.

should I do something to solve this?

Strange & Unknown User Name [​IMG]

arturoruiznerv, Jul 30, 2016
  3. unknown user name

My signon name to my Windows 10 desktop is _____. A user name, _____-2 has shownup in the users folder and seems to be prominently used by Windows -- in paths in particular. However, this user name does not show up in in the list of users in Control Panel.
    I am not allowed to delete if from the users folder - "only _____-2 can delete this folder" is the approximate error message I get when trying to delete the _____-2 folder in the users folder.

It seems to be really messing up my network (permissions in particular). Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Franklin Propst, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello websquad, *Smile

If you have Windows set to automatically sign in to your account at startup and made any changes to your credentials or computer name, then that could cause this. If you did, then setting up netplwiz again to update your credentials will sort the sign in part of the issue.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

The user profile folder "morga" is most likely for your Microsoft account. You can test this by typing %UserProfile% in the address bar of File Explorer and pressing Enter while you are signed in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account to see if it opens this folder. If it does, then it's for your account.

Brink, Jul 30, 2016
  5. websquad Win User
    Brink, at times I think I started at Step "A", went to "B", got sidetracked to "L", and somehow ended up at "Z" -- job completed. The splash page shows (with the seascape and date/time), but after a few seconds it goes away and I get three blank screens, and the windows start to build. I have tested it several times, using Restart and a cold Start -- and it seems to work. thank you so much for your help. I will mark this "Solved" -- unless, of course it isn't (Yikes!)

websquad, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. It sounds like you may have had an update finishing up there at first.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange & Unknown User Name - Similar Threads - Strange Unknown User

2. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  3. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  4. unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users": I was monitoring my startup apps when i see this:opening its file location shows the c:/users directoryfile opened in Notepad++is this a virus?...
  5. Strange name in folder under USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  6. Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab: I happened to look at the Security tab of file properties and noticed a strange "Unknown" user account. The SID isn't listed in the registry under HKEY_Users and doesn't appear in Control Panel User Accounts. Should I delete this account? How can I figure out what it is?...
  7. Unknown Other User account named guardian

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown Other User account named guardian: Every so often I'll go into my windows 10 settings and go to Accounts and I'll find an account named guardian under Other Users. I haven't set this account up and I don't know what it is. The weird thing is I delete the account and remove the data, but the account shows up...
  8. Strange group or user name in my User account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange group or user name in my User account: If I right click a file or folder in `C:\Users\[my user]` and select Security tab, then under Group or user names I find: SYSTEM S-1-5-21-2111192990-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx Administrators [machine]\Administrators What is that alpha-numeric entry I'm only showing some...
  9. [RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    [RESOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly creates strange -unknown- user names?: As stated in the title, all of a sudden my SSD-WIN10PRO - booted in VMware - is creating unknown usernames e.g.: [img] [img] [img] [img] I've disabled above user for now. [img] Even though working with a booted SSD in VMware for many years, I've never...
  10. strange name of the user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    strange name of the user folder: hi By the install i give this as e-mail nothing stragen so fare. After install when i look in the user folder directory he have created a folder whit arthu and not arthur why ? 27541