Windows 10: Strange update reset my computer for one boot

Discus and support Strange update reset my computer for one boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer just carried out a very strange update. As far as I recall, the computer had updated to 1909 some time ago. So today, that orange icon in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WarrenC75, Mar 14, 2020.

1. WarrenC75 Win User

Strange update reset my computer for one boot

My computer just carried out a very strange update. As far as I recall, the computer had updated to 1909 some time ago. So today, that orange icon in the taskbar appeared that an update was required. I postponed the update until Monday because I was working. My computer then froze whilst I was working and I was forced to hard reboot it at the power button. Whatever that update was then commenced when the computer restarted. I noticed strange issues straight away. For example, on the welcome screen, it wasn't showing my name. And then when the desktop loaded, the entire desktop environment looked like it did way back when the 1909 update happened with the lighter blue Windows background and color scheme and Edge opening up saying 'Welcome to Your New Windows' or something like that. Also, all my taskbar icons were gone, stuff on the desktop was gone, other icons were placed in the taskbar and on the desktop, files I downloaded to the desktop were gone, all my customizations to the Start Menu were removed, time and date format was changed/reset, startup entries that I'd removed were starting up, my default program associations had reset, etc., etc. And even app-related stuff was going on like I was signed out of Chrome, all my Chrome apps were gone, Avast was acting like I'd just downloaded it for the first time and was prompting me to sign in, etc., etc.

I restarted the computer to find everything had returned back to the way it was before this weird update.

I find this whole thing very strange and I'm wondering now what actually happened there and if there are now deeper issues with my computer.

Strange update reset my computer for one boot eb003b5c-b3de-4be0-bf7c-f86204da11f3?upload=true.png

:)

WarrenC75, Mar 14, 2020

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 14, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Strange update reset my computer for one boot

Computer keeps re-booting

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then check.

Method 2

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Strange update reset my computer for one boot

1. Strange update reset my computer for one boot - Similar Threads - Strange update reset

2. Updated my computer and now it’s being strange - why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated my computer and now it’s being strange - why?: I recently updated my pc and have had a few issues since. The first was not being able to type the wi-fi code into the designated box - keyboard working fine. I got around this by copying and pasting into that box instead. Then my Microsoft applications word processor mainly...
  3. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.: I set FE to display ext and hidden items. Randomly, both get unchecked. I recently added KSC Kaspersky AV. It is now randomly telling me the ext are not shown. When I look, both are still checked. I raised an issue with KSC and they said it is an unsolved known issue. That...
  4. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.: I set FE to display ext and hidden items. Randomly, both get unchecked. I recently added KSC Kaspersky AV. It is now randomly telling me the ext are not shown. When I look, both are still checked. I raised an issue with KSC and they said it is an unsolved known issue. That...
  5. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Reset one side of a dual boot computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset one side of a dual boot computer: I dual boot my laptop with 2 Windows 10 Operating Systems. One is my personal and the other work. I need to reset the personal side but dont wan to affect the work side. Is this possible and if so how do i do it?...
  7. My computer is acting strange after an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is acting strange after an update: My computer won’t let me go into the windows menu thing and my wallpaper is gone, and the only thing I can see that I had before my update is my icons submitted by /u/Lego-Brick [link] [comments]...
  8. Strange File on my Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange File on my Computer: Hello All, I found this odd file in my C:/Users/[User Account Name] domain. The file type just says "File" and its 1 KB in size. It was created a few days ago (somehow...) and when I open it with a program like WordPad, I get strange symbols. Below are photoes of what...
  9. My computer's Strange behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer's Strange behavior: Hello,Because of the updates problem, I disabled the windows update optiom in the "Task manager" services.However, when I turn on the computer I notice there is a great amount of network 'action', I take a look into the system tree and find "Windows 10 upgrade" folder has...
  10. Strange problem after booting computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange problem after booting computer: Ok so i have been running Windows 10 for a while now and after a few teething problems that were soon sorted out, i have found it to ok and i quite like it Last night when i turned the computer off it was running fine, but this morning on booting quite a few problems...