Windows 10: Strange USB-Drive Icons

Discus and support Strange USB-Drive Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfenx666, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Strange USB-Drive Icons

Hello,

I really need some help.

Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot

Strange USB-Drive Icons [​IMG]

But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal

I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every USB-Drive an unspecified device appears under devices and Printers

I have already tried to use an autorun.inf with a custom Icon and change the Icon in the registry with no luck.

Any Kind of help would be great, seem like a strange kind of network issue.

:)

wolfenx666, Nov 10, 2019

2. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 10, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

Strange USB-Drive Icons

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Strange USB-Drive Icons

1. Strange USB-Drive Icons - Similar Threads - Strange USB Drive

2. Strange changes to the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange changes to the icons: Hello, I have strange changes to the icons on my desktop. The little arrow icon the shortcut arrow on the bottom left corner sometimes changes to another random icon or even disappears. I don't know what is causing the problem, it happens completely randomly. Sometimes a few...
  3. Strange Icon Appearing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange Icon Appearing: Hello, Recently I am seeing the icon appearing on my desktop when logging on after a restart/shutdown or period of inactivity, and I have never seen this before, does the community here know what it means, and more importantly how I can make it stop appearing. The icon...
  4. Strange Icon

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange Icon: Just this morning this icon kept popping up on my PC...seems to appear in everything..? Can anyone ID it and tell me how to remove it..? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icon/15f3535c-8216-4e15-8084-5d6052a5bb1e
  5. Strange Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Icon: [ATTACH] Just this morning, this strange icon has been showing up on my PC....seems to pop up in everything..? Can anyone help ID it and also how I can remove it..? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icon/755fa8e2-9a96-4f7b-b59a-ec9a30d5504b
  6. USB - Autorun.ico, and Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    USB - Autorun.ico, and Drive Icons: Hi. My first post. Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS build 18362.592) Big problems with USB icons. Previously I have been able to set USB Drive Icons in the Registry. Now they do not work. Hard Drive and DVDs are fine, but not USBs or SDs. Similarly autorun.inf wuth autorun.ico, do...
  7. Strange USB-Drive Icons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB-Drive Icons: Hello, I really need some help. Since Yesterday all my USB-Drive Icons look like on this Screenshot [img] But only when i connect to the Internet otherwise they look normal [img] I have this problem on all of my PC's. When I am connected to the Internet for every...
  8. USB Drive icon missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive icon missing: Hi all, I'm just wondering if someone knows how to restore the icon for a USB drive? Whenever I plug in any USB drive, it's icon shows up as blank icon in Windows explorer: [img] I don't know how this happened, it doesn't affect anything except looking horrible. Someone...
  9. Strange icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange icons: All the icons on my desktop suddenly have arrows on them...see attached photo.does anyone know what this is.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icons/2bb3d428-68bc-488c-a3d4-1ce9fd55ff22
  10. what is this strange icon ??

in Windows 10 Support
    what is this strange icon ??: just found today. What is this strange blue arrows?? Some folders do have, some dont't [img] [img] [img] 122770