Windows 10: Strange user folder names Windows 11

Discus and support Strange user folder names Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SteveCastle0106, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Strange user folder names Windows 11

Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named "steve".Initially I had onedrive set up but no longer wish to use that and want to transfer the files from the system onedrive folder to my user name folder. That process is easy enough but I would like to know why I have these extra folders.Folder "steve" under the desktop path looks like it is a symbolic link to folder "steph", se

:)

SteveCastle0106, Apr 16, 2024

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 16, 2024
  3. Ryan_2013 Win User
    Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Apr 16, 2024
  4. KidmanPE Win User

Strange user folder names Windows 11

User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Apr 16, 2024
Thema:

Strange user folder names Windows 11

1. Strange user folder names Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Strange user folder

2. Strange user folder names Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange user folder names Windows 11: Hi all.I have just bought a new laptop with Win 11. I am not real familiar with Win 11.MS set my user name as the first 5 letters of my email address, so I changed the user name to Steve.I now notice there are folders under users named "steph" and two folders named...
  3. User Folder Strange Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Strange Icons: Hey guys last week I reboot my laptop after one there is two Icons starting shows up my user folder and they are empty nothing in it I'm deleting these two folder every time but when i shut down or restart the pc they will came back how can i delete ? them or anyone know...
  4. Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!: I just installed Windows 11 on a fresh install after installing various apps I noticed that my User folder name has decided to chose part of my real name which I never use!.I chose Daz as a login name but Windows thought it would name my folder darre which is obviously not my...
  5. Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!: I just installed Windows 11 on a fresh install after installing various apps I noticed that my User folder name has decided to chose part of my real name which I never use!.I chose Daz as a login name but Windows thought it would name my folder darre which is obviously not my...
  6. Strange name in folder under USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange name in folder under USER: My account is under my name, but I often try to get the user name The Mage, or TheMage if I can, or many derivatives.I do not see this anywhere on anything listed on my Microsoft accounts, but if it was, it would be TheMage.Trying to change my name just gives my real name. Is...
  7. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. Strange & Unknown User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange & Unknown User Name: When I start up the computer, I get presented with this message "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again." Below that is an "OK" button. The user name displayed is "morga" -- my last name is "morgan". So when I click "OK" it clears off the message, and I get a...
  9. strange name of the user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    strange name of the user folder: hi By the install i give this as e-mail nothing stragen so fare. After install when i look in the user folder directory he have created a folder whit arthu and not arthur why ? 27541
  10. strange folders under users folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    strange folders under users folders...: i found these strange folders under the users folders and other places... dozens of them... ones like Send To, Start Menu, Templates, etc they have shortcut arrows but they are not... they are file folders and they have no size and the date is when i installed...