Windows 10: Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

Discus and support Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently changed my computer's name and now get "The username or password is incorrect" on startup. Note that if I change the name back to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alanofoz, Jan 16, 2019.

1. alanofoz Win User

Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

I recently changed my computer's name and now get "The username or password is incorrect" on startup.

Note that if I change the name back to the earlier name the problem goes away, so the name changing appears to be the cause.

More detail:-

With the new name, when I startup I see the welcome screen for a moment and then the error message appears together with an OK button. When I click OK, there are two instances of my name in the bottom left corner of the screen; it wants to sign in with a new "unwanted" one. If I select the "normal" one I can then enter my password and will be logged in with my Microsoft account credentials. But note that I haven't needed to do this until now as I have de-selected "Users must enter...." in netplwiz.

If I select the "unwanted" one I can sign in with my Microsoft account credentials which only achieves the same as the normal one with the extra requirement of needing to type my email address as well as my password.

Obviously, I want to be able to bypass this step altogether as my use of netplwiz demonstrates.

I have tried all the solutions I have found in sites like
    https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-fix...after-restart/
    and am now totally at a loss.

I'd be very grateful if anyone is able to help.

:)

alanofoz, Jan 16, 2019

2. Username or password incorrect

I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10.

Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect" [​IMG]

Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message

I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has been entered at this stage.
    Pressing OK, or waiting 2 minutes results in this screen

Entering the PIN or password from the sign-in option continues the login process.
    Apart from starting again from scratch, any ideas on how to correct this.

WightWalker, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Username or password incorrect

I agree that the lock screen is useless, pressing any key raises it to reveal your email!
    They should hide the email!
    You can, however, login in to OneDrive and edit your moniker and create an alias email, which doesn't exist and is not verified.

(I blurred it anyway even though it's a BS email)

Edwin, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

Incorrect password or username

Hi, everytime I try to install a programme of some sort I get a pop up that requires my password and username, when I enter my credentials it tells me they are incorrect. Please help on how to sort this issue out. I literally do not require a password
    for my login so I don't know what the problem is. I would appreciate some help

robinhelsa347, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

1. Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect" - Similar Threads - Strange variation username

2. username and password incorrect Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    username and password incorrect Windows 10 PC: I have a login issue on the domain account Windows 10 workstations. The user login without any issue at first and after a couple of logins they got a username and password incorrect error. my administrator account also not working but I know it is the correct username and...
  3. username and password incorrect Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    username and password incorrect Windows 10 PC: I have a login issue on the domain account Windows 10 workstations. The user login without any issue at first and after a couple of logins they got a username and password incorrect error. my administrator account also not working but I know it is the correct username and...
  4. username and password incorrect Windows 10 PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The Username or Password is Incorrect. Try again.: Error message on startup at login: the username or password is incorrect. try again. This happens on two machines, one being the replacement for the other which will be restored and moved to a different location. The default user shown on startup is not and has never been...
  6. Microsoft password correct but "your username or password is incorrect"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft password correct but "your username or password is incorrect": This day morning i tried to login a microsoft account into my laptop but its the same with the one i`m using same account but one login using email and one login using phone number to change my account type . When i finished the job i want to do , i want to change back my...
  7. Windows 10 "Incorrect username or password"

Windows 10 "Incorrect username or password": Hi hi, I recently had my computer (An Acer Aspire E5-576) blue screen (Critical Process Died error) and ever since then I haven't been able to log in to my computer when it starts. I had used a pin number before but after the crash it will only let me enter a password,...
  8. Incorrect UserName

Incorrect UserName: Hello, I installed Windows 10 last May and it choose the first 5 letters of my Hotmail username. I tried to modify that from User Account but then it kind of created a second layer of user name: i.e. I have C:\Users\cdnhe and I also have a folder with the other name in my...
  9. The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The Username or password in incorrect. Try Again: The installation of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on my PC is only a couple of months old and was going fine until I decided I didn't need a Login password and unticked the relevant box in User Accounts. Now when I start the computer I get the following message on the startup...
  10. Username or password incorrect

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Username or password incorrect: I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10. [img] Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message [img] I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has...