Windows 10: Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection

Discus and support Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Around the first of the year I was attacked by Ransomware. I was able to prevent it and I believed cleaned most of it. In March after a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mddi, Jun 9, 2019.

1. mddi Win User

Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection

Hello,
    Around the first of the year I was attacked by Ransomware. I was able to prevent it and I believed cleaned most of it.
    In March after a Windows Feature Update I lost some program functions.

I did a Windows reset and the functions returned. However, I noticed that C drive storage space decreased and a new volume showed up in Disk Protection that does not show in Disk Manage.

First Question: There is nothing on this machine. No Office, no pictures, documents, videos. There are limited programs; Bitdefender Free AV, VLC Media Player, CD Burner XP. Why does the C drive have 50GB usage?

Second Question: What is the strange volume in Disk Protection?

Screenshot's attached:

:)

mddi, Jun 9, 2019

2. Changing the drive that my Local Disk (CStrange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection :) is on. Or uninstalling windows to reinstall to the correct drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

As I can see from the above screenshot you have 1.8 GB of space Unallocated. I suggest you to extend the shrink volume back to C: drive by following the below steps.

• Go to disk management, press Windows key + R and type
      diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • From this page right click on C: drive
      and click on Extend Volume.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions by selecting unallocated space.

Now you will get total amount of space in C: drive.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection

Windows Disk Management unable to shrink C: drive volume.

Hello Faraz,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community.

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you with few useful information from here.

Now, before we proceed, there are a few things we need to look into which can help us to resolve the issue.

Firstly, there may be an unmovable file in the middle of the partition (probably an important Windows file that's in use), which is not allowing the resizing of the volume. So, try to perform a defragmentation of the drive and check if it
    allows.

Follow the below steps.

• Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.
    • Click the Start button.
    • From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.
    • On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the
      This PC tree.
    • From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.
    • From the context menu, click Properties.
    • On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.
    • From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the
      Optimize button.
    • On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.
    • Click the Analyze button from below the list.
    • Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

Secondly, if the number of bad clusters detected by dynamic bad-cluster remapping is too high, you cannot shrink the partition. So, try to perform a disk check and see if it helps.

To begin the scan, right-click on the Drive which you wish to check and select
    Properties. Next, click on Tools tab and under
    Error checking, click on the Check button. This option will check the drive for file system errors. If the system detects that there are errors, you will be asked to check the disk.

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection

1. Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection - Similar Threads - Strange Volume drive

2. Strange folder on Disk C

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange folder on Disk C: [ATTACH] Yesterday I found a weir folder (1kb) with one document (something encrypted). I scanned and seems fine, so I delete it. Today appear another one. Should I get worried? What is it? submitted by /u/Most_Instance_9041 [link] [comments]...
  3. How to increase c drive, to extend disk volume?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to increase c drive, to extend disk volume?: How to move unallocated space close to C drive. to extend disk volume?Can I free up HealthRecovery partition to add it to C drive disk volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-c-drive-to-extend-disk-volume/ed78f10f-093f-440e-a283-13351bb34e0c
  4. How to increase c drive, to extend disk volume?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to increase c drive, to extend disk volume?: How to move unallocated space close to C drive. to extend disk volume?Can I free up HealthRecovery partition to add it to C drive disk volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-c-drive-to-extend-disk-volume/ed78f10f-093f-440e-a283-13351bb34e0c
  5. How to increase c drive, to extend disk volume?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. extend the volume of c disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extend the volume of c disk: Original title: sark_boy04Hi guys! I need your help. I'm gonna extend the volume of c disk. But extend button is unabled.I have read reasons for this trouble like there is no unallocated space . But i have. Please answer if you know solution...
  7. extend the volume of c disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extend the volume of c disk: Original title: sark_boy04Hi guys! I need your help. I'm gonna extend the volume of c disk. But extend button is unabled.I have read reasons for this trouble like there is no unallocated space . But i have. Please answer if you know solution...
  8. Extend Volume C Drive

Extend Volume C Drive: Hi i was able to shrink my D Drive storage volume. but, when I want to extend my C Drive, it is GREYED out. I can't select it. Anyone can help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-c-drive/58720e3a-eb98-462e-8e6c-a559bb97fdc8
  9. Shrinking volume of c drive

Shrinking volume of c drive: On shrinking volume off c drive free space:600+ gb, the available size for shrinking is 200 mb only . I have tried defragmenting but nothing happened. I want to create a new partition but the max size available for that is only 200 mb. Help!!!!...
  10. Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange Volume on C drive in Disk Protection: Hello, Around the first of the year I was attacked by Ransomware. I was able to prevent it and I believed cleaned most of it. In March after a Windows Feature Update I lost some program functions. I did a Windows reset and the functions returned. However, I noticed that C...