Windows 10: Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem!

Discus and support Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2TB Western Digital USB External Hard Disk ( My Passport Ultra Model) It's suddenly no longer recognized by windows when plugged in and if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rezpower, May 28, 2019.

1. rezpower Win User

Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem!

I have a 2TB Western Digital USB External Hard Disk ( My Passport Ultra Model)
    It's suddenly no longer recognized by windows when plugged in and if I open winodws
    device manager I see that device manager is getting refreshed many times but fails to
    install the drive. The strange thing is that if I plug it in to a USB 2 port (I have 2X USB 2
    and 2X USB 3 ports) then it will work normally with no problem and I am able to browse
    and play all files (All Movie files on the drive).

To troubleshoot this problem I changed the cable, used the cable on another USB 3 drive
    and it worked fine, So the Port and cable are both working fine with other drives!

I wonder what the problem can be! How can a HDD downgrade itself to USB 2?
    Can I still count on this HDD for my data or is it damaged and about to die?

:)

rezpower, May 28, 2019
  2. michael Win User

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, May 28, 2019
  3. EXTERNAL HARD DISK WD HAVE TO UNPLUG FROM WD HARD DISK TO START COMPUTER

Hi

Have a problem with a WD hard disk - I have to uplug the hard disk plug from the electric sockets to start up the computer

Have tried Data Life WD Diagnostic and all would appear to be in order the pc shows the disk and it works - WD have sent me a new set of plugs - same problem - they are now willing to change the disk - OK - but how can I be sure its their disk that is a
    failure or somethng going wrong on my PC. I have already 3 other WD disks and they all work OK - one of the them is in the same set of sockets as the one seemingly faulty

Any ideas about ths would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide

sandydoggie, May 28, 2019
  4. Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem!

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem! :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, May 28, 2019
Thema:

Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem!

1. Strange WD Extermal USB Hard Disk Problem! - Similar Threads - Strange Extermal USB

2. hard disk problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk problem: i was using my pc with 2 hdd disks after i instilled windows 10 pro againbecz some problems after installing it shows only 1 of them i can't see the other hard even in disk manager but i can see it in bios plz help + the hard works fine in another pc...
  3. hard disk problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk problem: i was using my pc with 2 hdd disks after i instilled windows 10 pro againbecz some problems after installing it shows only 1 of them i can't see the other hard even in disk manager but i can see it in bios plz help + the hard works fine in another pc...
  4. hard disk problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem with Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Hard Disk: My PC has 2 drives, an SDD which holds all Windows files and an HDD with all other files. Games, photos, documents, etc. I recently formatted my HDD to clear space and start from a clean drive, and wanted to reinstall some of the games I used to have there. But after I've...
  6. Problem with Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Hard Disk: My PC has 2 drives, an SDD which holds all Windows files and an HDD with all other files. Games, photos, documents, etc. I recently formatted my HDD to clear space and start from a clean drive, and wanted to reinstall some of the games I used to have there. But after I've...
  7. Strange USB Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB Problem: This is posted solely out of curiosity: I had plugged in a new computer camera which, when turned on, presented a poor image. By fiddling with the USB plug, I could get it to work, but the problem was there each time I turned it on. After a short while, I contacted Amazon,...
  8. Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...: The clone failed. Is there a maximum drive size that M-R Clone drive will clone? After 8+ years of no failures whatsoever with M-R I was surprised. TIA Dennis...
  9. hard disk problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disk problem: I have inherited a laptop with windows 10 home 64-bit 2.00GB RAM. HD SansDisk 1TB. When I tried Windows Update an error message told me needed more space to be able to install updates. Opened Disk Management and I can see three volumes on it for the HD with plenty of space...
  10. Too much disk thrashing with WD + Strange games issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Too much disk thrashing with WD + Strange games issue: Hello. Even if I am running my games from SSD I have noticed a lot of hard disk activity when launching them and a lot of almost non stop disk activity coming from WD (Hell, it seems it's performing a quick scan almost twice a day). I am not saying WD isn't good but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows system image wont recognize extermal hard drive