Windows 10: Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

Discus and support Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) Hi all, when i push the win button and type to search for an app or anything i get this result. i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by j39dofFkjsd, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

j39dofFkjsd, Oct 13, 2018

2. Sysprep Windows 10 Start Menu search is blank

Hello everyone,

I was following the Tenforums.com Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep guide, which I found to be an amazing guide.

My goal is to have a Windows 10 Pro x64 sysprep image from the Hyper-V VM, exactly as in the guide.

Anyways I had everything going smooth - I was about to Generalize the image and realized the Start Menu stopped returning results, instead just showing a blank search.

After some frustration and reluctance I went back to the checkpoint at the very beginning (as indicated in the guide). The Start Menu still showed up blank.

Reinstalled the VM in Hyper-V using different names and different VHD files but all resulted in the same error.

Created the VM in VMware Workstation 12 and and started the Sysprep process with Windows 10 in VMware. The Start Menu is still blank.

Uninstalled Hyper-V and reinstalled Hyper-V but that didn't help.

I've done the basic troubleshooting steps too:

• Reboot system (Host and Guest systems multiple times)
    • Verified service Windows Search is running (I restarted the service as well)
    • Rebuilt Index
    • Restarted Cortana and Windows Explorer
    • Re-registered Cortana

I've tried Googling my heart out to no avail. Couldn't even find an image with a similar problem. I've attached a snippet of the issue below.

Note: This is only in Audit Mode. When I let the Windows install complete, the Start Menu works again. I'll try completing the imaging process and load the Sysprep image and see if the Start Menu functionality comes back unless someone has a better idea or similar experience?

Strange white Blank Search result  (start menu) [​IMG]

SeattleITguy, Oct 14, 2018
  3. YD Cui Win User
    Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

After I installed the Creator's Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063.296), I found some results in start menu search being not clickable (i.e., no repsonse when clicking on them) while other results being fine.

I tried everything I could find by google:

• Restart Cortana through task manager
    • Restart WSearch service through services.msc
    • Rebuild windows search index
    • Reinstall/Re-register windows apps through Dism.exe
    • Modify windows registry

Nothing workable.

However, when logged in with another account, I found the start menu search working fine.

Then I read this article (http://www.urtech.ca/2016/08/solved-video-how-to-hard-reset-or-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/) and follow his steps 1-3:

• Create a new administrator on your Window 10 and sign in as that user
    • Delete (or rename) C:\Users\<PROBLEM USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
    • Sign back in as the PROBLEM USER
    • Open PowerShell as an admin and type (or paste)

Add-AppxPackage -Path “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    I didn't walk through all 4 steps, cause when I logged in with the "PROBLEM USER" I found everthing was okay.

I guess the start menu search (or cortana search) works as following procedures:

• Build a private database, including start menu programs, control panel items, etc.
    • When users try to search something, it starts from the private database
    • Then it shows the results queried from WSearch databases
    Hence, if something wrong with the items in its private database, the result is not clickable. Clear its private database will fix the problems.

YD Cui, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

1. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) - Similar Threads - Strange white Blank

2. search results showing blank program and white papaw icon

in Cortana
    search results showing blank program and white papaw icon: Hi, Why is my search showing white icons for some programs? Some programs it works fine and show their icon as they should, then others show a blank program icon and some show a white paper icon with the corner folded? Anyone know the issue? I have tried changing the indexing...
  3. search results showing blank program and white papaw icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search results showing blank program and white papaw icon: Hi, Why is my search showing white icons for some programs? Some programs it works fine and show their icon as they should, then others show a blank program icon and some show a white paper icon with the corner folded? Anyone know the issue? I have tried changing the indexing...
  4. search results showing blank program and white papaw icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  6. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  7. Strange Local Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Local Search Results: I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen, the search results show files (photos, videos, documents) from well before I bought this laptop. For...
  8. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  9. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  10. Windows 10 Start Search not displaying results; shows blank white

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Search not displaying results; shows blank white: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]After installing the latest Cumulative Update on my Windows 10 PC today, I found that my Windows 10 Start Search was not displaying any results – It just showed a blank white screen. If you face this issue, here are [...] This post Windows 10 Start Search...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Strange white Blank

2. start menu search white

3. google search results are blank