Windows 10: Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10

Discus and support Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. Looking to diagnose and troubleshoot (and hopefully fix) an issue with my Toshiba Satellite (A665-S6086) laptop running W10. As a preface... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DerekW10, Jul 30, 2020.

1. DerekW10 Win User

Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10

Hello all.

Looking to diagnose and troubleshoot (and hopefully fix) an issue with my Toshiba Satellite (A665-S6086) laptop running W10.

As a preface to my short ramble: I have my important files, for the most part, backed up in triplicate on external hard drives. There are some Nintendo GameCube and Wii game backup copies and recently added music files Id like to save if possible. Not a huge deal, however. 95% of my music library is backed up and 100% of my photos are backed up.

I recently spent some time cleaning my laptop up, i.e. scrubbing some files, uninstalling old apps, cleaning out duplicates and orphans, etc. I believe today I may have inadvertently corrupted/deleted/moved a system file that is now causing my windows explorer to act up.

I removed some orphaned files from old programs, ran disk cleanup and disk optimizer then restarted my computer. I did not knowingly delete anything I was unsure of. Upon restart, I am now in a position where:

Start Menu is not accessible
    Taskbar Items are gone
    Search bar is unresponsive
    Task Manager will not open

The only desktop shortcut I usually is the Recycle Bin. It was there at first and I thought I could back door into my files and other programs through there, but my C:\ Drive was not accessible through there either. After restarting once more, even Recycle Bin disappeared from the desktop.

I now have no way to access any programs, utilities, files, etc.

Just hoping someone can maybe walk me through so ideas/fixes.

:)

DerekW10, Jul 30, 2020

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10 :(

Zakin, Jul 30, 2020
  4. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10 wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

Thema:

1. Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10 - Similar Threads - Strange Explorer Issues

2. Strange issue with notepad.exe under clean w10 install 20H2.610

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange issue with notepad.exe under clean w10 install 20H2.610: Hello. I have just formatted this pc twice now. It's having an issue where notepad.exe stops loading. You just double click on it and it seems to load but nothing happens. I remember to see it working properly as soon as w10 was installed, but it stops working after a...
  3. Strange issue with windows explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange issue with windows explorer: I have a strange issue with Windows explorer auto-refresh, like if create new file/folders, delete files /folders, etc not working until I refresh my screen using mouse right-click and choosing refresh, I notice this issue only when one drive for the business is running, if...
  4. Strange windows explorer, taskbar and game issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange windows explorer, taskbar and game issues: Hello, I have some very weird issues with windows 10 pro. Since 3 days I experience: - window freezing. Suddenly I cant click or move any window. But I can move my mouse pointer just fine. Opening the task manager fixes this issue and sometimes it fixes by itself. -...
  5. Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue: I've been having issues with Windows Explorer that seems to happen every other day, but have not been able to diagnose what the problem is - nor can I tell what my computer is telling me what the problem is. For no apparent reason, Windows Explorer stops working (but the...
  6. Windows Explorer acting strangely..

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer acting strangely..: Explorer annoyed me with it's quick access thing making me wait and grouping things the way it wants and effectively putting things out of sight... so I disabled it via the view/options thing. and that worked for maybe ten minutes. Until I next shut down windows explorer...
  7. Strange W10 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Strange W10 update: Hello!, today when checking for updates, windows update shows me the following update: [img] (18946.1000.rs_xbox_dev.190723-1700 (UUP-CTv2)) I'm not in the insider program. It's an error from Microsoft? Does anyone else have this problem? My system is Windows 10 PRO 64...
  8. Various W10 explorer menu issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Various W10 explorer menu issues: Hello, Since my recent switch from W7 to W10 several issues spoil the progress. The first installation was a total mess, the second is lots better but still has some issues, which all seem related to the Windows Explorer Main menu. I put them all here, in one post. If it is...
  9. strange issues with windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    strange issues with windows: Hello, I just re-installed windows 10 64 bit. I cannot install Chrome (says chrome needs a windows update but there is none) I cannot install adobe acrobat (installation failed) I cannot run any troubleshooting / wizards (such as - right click on a network card and...
  10. Scared by W10 strange behavior

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scared by W10 strange behavior: Hi! Decided to ask. After some struggle with w10 10122 - I decided to “clean” install w10 10130. On my MSI CR61 3M it turned out impossible to do so from USB ISO. Had experiments with w7 - too no success. To revive that laptop I installed W10 10130 on MSI’ s disk using...