Windows 10: Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue

Discus and support Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been having issues with Windows Explorer that seems to happen every other day, but have not been able to diagnose what the problem is - nor can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gaz1701, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Gaz1701 Win User

Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue

I've been having issues with Windows Explorer that seems to happen every other day, but have not been able to diagnose what the problem is - nor can I tell what my computer is telling me what the problem is.

For no apparent reason, Windows Explorer stops working (but the screen [nor any programs running] doesn't 'grey out'), and that also affects the internet - which is usually the sign that Explorer has stopped working.

The last 2 times was when I was watching a video. The first of these instances was a YouTube video, and the second one I was watching something on my Roku box on my HDTV (I also had my PC turned on and logged in at the time); the internet cut out on it, which was when I realised it had happened again.

I've run anti-virus scans and used the usual error checking methods (chkdsk, SFC Scan, DISM) - which haven't told me about any errors.

I've been keeping the Event Viewer open when I log on to see if anything comes up (which nothing does that I can tell), except when I refresh it after the "freeze" happens, the EV stops working as well (but doesn't get greyed out). I can still move the 'windows' around [and minimize/maximize them], but anything else Windows Explorer-wise doesn't work; I try to open Explorer, but nothing happens, and when right clicking on the Desktop makes Explorer hang like it does.

I am then forced to do a hard reset, and when I re-open the Event Viewer, the only thing I can tell it tells me is that I've had to force my PC off (under "critical").

What other information do you need, and how do I save it and share it with you?

:)

Gaz1701, Apr 28, 2020

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Error: "Internet Explorer is not responding" and "Website not responding" while accessing the browser on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response and information.

As Windows 10 as Microsoft Edge in-built browser, I suggest you to try that browser and check if this issue persists.

For the issues with Internet Explorer try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onInternet Explorer Performance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to turn off and on Internet Explorer and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + R, type Control Panel
      and hit Enter.
    • Click on Programs and Features.
    • Click on Turn Windows features on or off from the left pane.
    • Uncheck Internet Explorer, click on Ok.
    • Restart the computer and repeat the same as above to place a check mark on Internet Explorer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 28, 2020
  4. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue [​IMG]

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

Thema:

1. Strange Windows Explorer 'not responding' issue - Similar Threads - Strange Explorer 'not

2. Windows Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer not responding: Hello friends, Every time I Start My PC and try to open my external desktop hard disk folder, Windows Explorer does not respond and I have to restart or close it from the task manager. this problem started when I update my PC from Windows 10 to 11 and after that, I don't like...
  3. Windows Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer not responding: Hello friends, Every time I Start My PC and try to open my external desktop hard disk folder, Windows Explorer does not respond and I have to restart or close it from the task manager. this problem started when I update my PC from Windows 10 to 11 and after that, I don't like...
  4. Windows Explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. WIndows explorer not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIndows explorer not responding: When I boot up my laptop in the morning, and I open "This PC" for the first time and click on search, it doesn't show up any recent search list and, also search doesn't work. But, I can open any disk and files for that time. And, then whenever, I click on close button of...
  6. Windows Explorer no respond

Windows Explorer no respond: Hello, I have a problem with my windows explorer since round about one month. Every time I start the windows explorer I can't do anything. The windows explorer ist not responding for about 20 seconds. After that it works normal. I do also have the problem when the explorer...
  7. Strange issue with windows explorer

Strange issue with windows explorer: I have a strange issue with Windows explorer auto-refresh, like if create new file/folders, delete files /folders, etc not working until I refresh my screen using mouse right-click and choosing refresh, I notice this issue only when one drive for the business is running, if...
  8. Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Windows Explorer Issues in W10: Hello all. Looking to diagnose and troubleshoot (and hopefully fix) an issue with my Toshiba Satellite (A665-S6086) laptop running W10. As a preface to my short ramble: I have my important files, for the most part, backed up in triplicate on external hard drives. There are...
  9. Strange windows explorer, taskbar and game issues

Strange windows explorer, taskbar and game issues: Hello, I have some very weird issues with windows 10 pro. Since 3 days I experience: - window freezing. Suddenly I cant click or move any window. But I can move my mouse pointer just fine. Opening the task manager fixes this issue and sometimes it fixes by itself. -...
  10. Windows Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Not Responding: Since the latest Windows 10 update Windows Explorer opens and allows selection right click, launch etc of any file but it subsequently becomes unresponsive and the window needs to be closed to restart it. This occurs regardless of the file type. Selecting folders works fine...