Windows 10: String to change name in file permissions that include computer name

Discus and support String to change name in file permissions that include computer name in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am using clonezilla to restore an image to computers. Some of the imaged file systems use the machine name in their permissions. Is there a string to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bobbyh54, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Bobbyh54 Win User

String to change name in file permissions that include computer name

I am using clonezilla to restore an image to computers. Some of the imaged file systems use the machine name in their permissions. Is there a string to enter to make the system replace the cloned image machine name to the new (or any current) machine name (i.e. Users (CALLA009871\Users) to Users (CALLA001789\Users)). Hopefully maintaining the permissions of the cloned machine image, just changing the name. I'm thinking something like
    Users (%computer_name%\Users) or is this even possible.

After thinking about it, I think I might not be asking the right question. I guess what I really need is a string to use that substitutes the current machine name and use it in the cloned (master) image.

Any suggestions

:)

Bobbyh54, Mar 22, 2019

2. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    name changes??

How about TPU_Moms_Rule.

Just a suggestion *Smile String to change name in file permissions that include computer name :)

I agree with most people. Mod assisted name changes only.

Kreij, Mar 22, 2019
  4. String to change name in file permissions that include computer name

change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

String to change name in file permissions that include computer name

1. String to change name in file permissions that include computer name - Similar Threads - String change name

2. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  3. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  4. Personal Vault Folder Names automatically changed to include the Computer Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Personal Vault Folder Names automatically changed to include the Computer Name: I've been using One Drive Personal Vault for quite some time. I had folders created to help organize the files, such as 'Insurance', 'Mortgage', etc. So I was shocked to see that recently all of these folders were now EMPTY, but new sets of folders were created...
  5. Change computer name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change computer name: What happens if I change the name of my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-computer-name/c6754c42-6398-4b42-9d1a-3f7d644fe917
  6. change name of computer

change name of computer: Need to change name of computer and sign on screen. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-computer/4d3706d2-64d8-44ba-b0cb-5a8b442c451d
  7. File Names changed

File Names changed: Dear Sir, While I was doing my day to day work on my PC, the entire file names of certain folder changed into one name. This caused severe difficulties for me to continue my work further. This happened second time in a week. Kindly give me a solution to avoid this...
  8. changing file names

changing file names: When I try to change my file names in win 10, I take this notification. 0x80070057 parameter is incorrect . It seems file names does not change but I think windows keep the file with the original name and then create a new file with the new name. This cause duplications....
  9. Changing computer name

Changing computer name: Hello I recently purchased a new hp laptop computer for my business. My coworker set up the computer not knowing what i needed computer name to be and also logged into Microsoft through it. My question is do i need to return computer to factory to change the computer and...
  10. Changing the computer name?

Changing the computer name?: Hello everyone, I need help with changing my username on the computer. now the reason i want to do it because my username is on my language and because of that the computer cant locate games or installation programs. and i know there is a option to change in the settings....