Windows 10: Striped volume prevents boot after updates

Discus and support Striped volume prevents boot after updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a software striped volume in my PC made up of 4 drives for extra storage not as a boot drive. Anytime I install Windows updates, Windows doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChillN802, Jun 13, 2020.

1. ChillN802 Win User

Striped volume prevents boot after updates

I have a software striped volume in my PC made up of 4 drives for extra storage not as a boot drive. Anytime I install Windows updates, Windows doesn't boot after restart and Automatic Repair runs chkdisk to fix errors on the striped volume before it can boot again. This also happens after a power failure. How can I fix this?

I've disabled write caching on each disk and ran error checking to fix more errors, but they always come back and cause more problems after updates. I've noticed that disk 4 in my array is always deactivated after I run chkdsk manually in windows. Though I'm able to reactivate it just fine and the volume shows "Healthy". Does this indicate the errors are only occurring on that disk and that it's going bad?

:)

ChillN802, Jun 13, 2020

2. Cannot create striped volume

Hello all,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1809. I have to 2TB hard drives that I want to set up as a striped volume(4TB total) so I can use it as a file history backup drive. The problem is that once I convert them to dynamic disks and set them as a single striped volume
    I get an error that says that the format failed. I tried to use the command line tool to format them as I've seen in different support sites but none of them work. anyone have a clue as to what I'm missing??? if you need more info on this please don't hesitate
    to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Jay Cisneros, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Repeated Crashes and Boot Errors Apparently Caused by Driver Updates

Sorry for the delay; last week was crazily busy, and I also for some reason didn't see a notification about your response.

I followed the steps and got "Virtual Disk Service error: The specified drive letter is invalid." The only difference I saw from the image in post #70 is that under "list volume," Volume 1 now says Boot and Volume 2 now says System under Info.

My computer still works fine, but I have kept it offline to prevent the forced Windows update.

Borromaeus, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

How to fix error unmountable boot volume

Hi James,

It is possible that you received the error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME due to a damaged file system which failed to mount. This error also means that sub-system on machine failed to mount the boot volume. To efficiently assist you, we'd like
    to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the exact error message you received?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you you follow the steps shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on this threads below to troubleshoot your concern:

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Striped volume prevents boot after updates - Similar Threads - Striped volume prevents

2. Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.: I just bought a new laptop recently that comes with Windows 10. My previous laptop, an old refurbished laptop can run Windows 10 normally and still running well after every regular Windows Update. But my new laptop crashed and booted up into BSOD after a single driver update....
  3. Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.: I just bought a new laptop recently that comes with Windows 10. My previous laptop, an old refurbished laptop can run Windows 10 normally and still running well after every regular Windows Update. But my new laptop crashed and booted up into BSOD after a single driver update....
  4. I cannot create a striped volume on my Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot create a striped volume on my Windows 10 PC: Hello, I have two online dynamic disks, 1 and 0, and disk 1 has 931 unallocated gigabytes. Disk 0 is my C: drive. I am trying to create a striped volume and merge disk 1 and 0, however the option to create a striped volume is greyed out. All the articles on this are referring...
  5. I cannot create a striped volume on my Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cannot create a striped volume on my Windows 10 PC: Hello, I have two online dynamic disks, 1 and 0, and disk 1 has 931 unallocated gigabytes. Disk 0 is my C: drive. I am trying to create a striped volume and merge disk 1 and 0, however the option to create a striped volume is greyed out. All the articles on this are referring...
  6. Striped volume bottleneck

Striped volume bottleneck: I have a system with 4 non OS additional 1TB NVMe's PCIe 4*4gen. When I measure sequential read and write I get:IndividualPerformance 6700 GB/s read and 5000 GB/s write.2 drives MS Windows 10 striped volumeApprox. 12 GB/s read and 10GB/s write.So far so good.4 drives MS...
  7. Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirroring a striped volume with another drive: Hello everyone. I have 3 drives: two 1TB drives and one 2TB drive. I currently have a striped volume setup for the two 1TB drives. I am wondering: is there a way to mirror the striped volume with my 2TB drive? I am realizing that this is likely not possible with Windows Disk...
  8. Will reinstalling windows delete my Dynamic Striped Volume?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will reinstalling windows delete my Dynamic Striped Volume?: Hey friends, I'm new to the windows world and loving it. With mac, i was able to create software raid-0 sets that one could move from computer to computer. Is this case with the dynamic striped volume? Meaning, If I reinstall windows on my boot drive, is my raid still...
  9. Mobo dead, how to access striped volume externally from laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobo dead, how to access striped volume externally from laptop?: I have a dead PC with 2 data drives that are windows striped not hardware raid-0. If I buy a usb raid enclosure, do you think windows will recognize them as a dynamic disc? If not, is there a way to access it externally without a desktop? Thanks....
  10. Cannot create striped volume

Cannot create striped volume: Hello all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1809. I have to 2TB hard drives that I want to set up as a striped volume(4TB total) so I can use it as a file history backup drive. The problem is that once I convert them to dynamic disks and set them as a single striped volume I get...