Windows 10: Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I...

Discus and support Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Im trying to install windows 11 on my computer. I have enabled TPM, but i am struggling to enable secure boot. Ive noticed that in order to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jake Stikkelorum1, May 25, 2023.

1. Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I...

Hello, Im trying to install windows 11 on my computer. I have enabled TPM, but i am struggling to enable secure boot. Ive noticed that in order to enable secure boot your bios needs to be in the EUFI mode, however mine is in the legacy mode. I have tried to switch this to EUFI mode, and then Save changes and restart, however, my computer does not boot, and instead just returns to the BIOS. I was wondering if any smart people out there would know if there was any way of fixing this, or is it an issue with my hardware not being compatible with the EUFI BIOS mode? My BIOS Version/date is stated a

:)

Jake Stikkelorum1, May 25, 2023

2. Windows 11 on Legacy BIOS

Hi, I’m Nicole, I’ll be happy to help you out today.

Legacy BIOS, also known as Basic Input/Output System, is a type of firmware used to initialize and manage the hardware components of a computer before the operating system is loaded. Windows 11, like previous versions of Windows, can be installed on computers using legacy BIOS. However, Windows 11 also supports the newer UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) firmware, which offers more advanced features and better security than legacy BIOS.

If Windows 11 is installed or preinstalled in UEFI mode, then changing the BIOS to legacy will make Windows 11 unbootable.

You may need to install again Windows 11 via Legacy mode so you can continue on dual booting Windows 8.1 with 11.

Thank you.

Nicole Aljecera, May 25, 2023
  3. Legacy v UEFI - Dell E6420 BIOS

Do you already have an Operating system installed in Legacy mode? If so switching to EUFI mode will stop the OS from booting. You will have to have a EUFI bootable drive to install an OS like Windows 10. Yes the benefits are that 2TB and bigger partitions
    are supported as well as supporting fast boot. EUFI is faster and more efficient than Legacy. Hope that helps!

MikeSnyder61704, May 25, 2023
  4. Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I...

Windows 11 on Legacy BIOS

To install Windows 11 in a supported fashion it requires BIOS UEFI.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Unsupported Windows 11 installations may not benefit from the improvements in performance, reliability, and security.

It may be possible to dual boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

See if the BIOS has options for Legacy and UEFI with and without CSM.

If there are UEFI options then switching from BIOS Legacy to BIOS UEFI may be an option.

questions_, May 25, 2023
Thema:

Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I...

1. Struggling to install windows 11, when trying to switch from LEGACY -> EUFI BIOS mode, I... - Similar Threads - Struggling install trying

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI: As the title states, I've just noticed this problem after attempting to enable Ultra Fast Boot on my Asrock B550m Steel Legend. I attempted to use the windows boot to UEFI feature and noticed it wasn't listed. Any ideas on why windows would install with legacy boot mode? What...
  6. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...
  7. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. BIOS or EUFI for clean install?

BIOS or EUFI for clean install?: I did an upgrade in place from Win7 to Win10 on a PC. The PC is is showing some odd behavior so I'm considering doing a clean reinstall of Win10. The PC currently uses BIOS but the MB supports EUFI. If I do the clean reinstall should I switch from BIOS to EUFI? If I...
  10. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...