Windows 10: Stuck and going backwards with MR7 Home

Discus and support Stuck and going backwards with MR7 Home in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This may be too much for here but, here is where I have been for night 2 now trying to set up MR7 Home. I had MR6 Free and decided to take the plunge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Lambert58, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Lambert58 Win User

Stuck and going backwards with MR7 Home

This may be too much for here but, here is where I have been for night 2 now trying to set up MR7 Home. I had MR6 Free and decided to take the plunge with 7 and purchase, so initiated the trial and purchased a 8TB Seagate USB3 to dedicate to backups, I do a lot of video editing. I transferred 500GB of backups to the new drive only to find out after getting to this same spot last night, poof, gone, so I got nothing but my boot disc now. Why, I have no idea, it transferred in about 40mins, I verified, the data was there, then it just was not.

I am not real tech savvy and seem to become less so the more I deal with this VSS issue. Seems to be at the heart of my issues, plural, but certainly here.

Stuck on Step 3 creating a full backup image. Even brought it to bare bones just c drive. Once initiating begins, it just spins away, grabbing nothing and I have to shut MR down through task manager. VSS seems to be at the heart of it, seems to always shut down.

Multiple of the following errors on my single home desktop:
    24 VSS seems to rear it’s ugly head whenever it can go wrong, never seem to get it configured correctly.

36 win server 08 group policy error Redirection of additional supported devices is disabled by policy. I have no server, just my desktop. VSS seems to rear it’s ugly head whenever it can go wrong, never seem to get it configured correctly.

Multiple of the following error codes.
    825 Vss shutting down through Service Control Manager
    1002 (task category 101)

7031 MR is terminated (multiple episodes)

I’d jump, but I’m in the basement.

:)

Lambert58, Mar 8, 2017

2. Windows Mobile Device Center not syncing with Outlook 2007 and HP hx4700 PDA

HELP!

WMDC on Vista Home Premium 32 is not syncing with my HP hx4700 PDA and Outlook 2007.

I know, I know, it's Microsoft ***, but sheesh aren't we supposed to be going forwards not backwards Bill?

WMDC either completes a sync but doesn't actually transfer any data or it just gets stuck.

Anyone know how to fix this apart from getting a Mac?

ASCIIraider, Mar 8, 2017
  3. 김장호 Win User
    Windows Mobile Device Center not syncing with Outlook 2007 and HP hx4700 PDA

^^*

HELP!

WMDC on Vista Home Premium 32 is not syncing with my HP hx4700 PDA and Outlook 2007.

I know, I know, it's Microsoft ***, but sheesh aren't we supposed to be going forwards not backwards Bill?

WMDC either completes a sync but doesn't actually transfer any data or it just gets stuck.

Anyone know how to fix this apart from getting a Mac?

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

김장호, Mar 8, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

@Lambert58

Try using Macrium's built in VSS fixer tool.

Under Other Tasks click Fix VSS Problems

Stuck and going backwards with MR7 Home [​IMG]

Than run the fixer and reboot.

Try your backup again.

TC

f14tomcat, Mar 8, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    Might also help:
    Other Tasks>Edit Defaults

simrick, Mar 8, 2017
  6. Lambert58 Win User
    THANX f14tomcat and Simrick

had tried the VSS tool a few times, which showed me that VSS was continually getting shut down.
    But, I implemented this again as well as Simricks recommendation in #130 it ran for 40mins and just popped up

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->InitializeForBackup()" failed
    -Returned HRESULT = 0x80042302
    -Error text: <Unknown error code>
    Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait
    Backup Aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Result Code ox80042302

Event Viewer shows 10 DistributedCOM 10029 errors (timed out waiting for service VSS to stop
    and 1 Volsnap 35 error (VolumeC: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow.) well, my C drive is jammed full, 4GB avail of 54.part of why I am not thrilled I lost my backup as I wanted to dump / move some programs, was not diligent enough initially and programs auto loaded to c instead of F the other internal drive with more space.
    during the time it was trying to engage.

In Simricks response #130 I had both Auto retry and create additional boxes checked and not the top onee prior to changing to Simrick's suggestion.

Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again! Ad still no B/U.

Sorry Guys, had to go to work, had a solid 90min of sleep, now back to this
    ran sfc /scannow elevated cmd resulting in: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    .Tried to create an image of the partitions, same results, just spun and spun, nothing created.

Oh, Mama, can this really be the end

Lambert58, Mar 9, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    @Lambert58

This is not good- C drive is jammed full, 4GB avail of 54

Which of these Brix models do you have? Brix by GIGABYTE & Other Mini Barebone PC's - Newegg

If you have not already, run Disk Cleanup. The tutorial is here:

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

Pay special attention to Option#1, Steps #5 & #7. Do them both and check off everything.

Some of the errors you are getting indicate that VSS cannot find enough room to do it's work.

Also, please go to Control Panel and get us a screenshot of what the System Protection looks like. These are just shots from my system as example.

Follow this path:

Post a screenshot of the following from your system.

Since you have a big external drive, you may want to consider using Explorer to move pictures/videos and other large files manually to a folder on that external drive. Not as a replacement for a backup, just to make some room for now.

Thanks, TC.....

f14tomcat, Mar 9, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

I agree with TC - C drive is way too full.

You could also try booting to Macrium and doing your backup that way.
    Putting Macrium in the boot menu makes it easy.

Just a thought.

simrick, Mar 9, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    That's a good thought. Thumb, too, if possible with that box. The underlying issues are concerning, though.

If this goes much further, maybe Shawn ( @Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore

f14tomcat, Mar 9, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 9, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. *Smile

f14tomcat, Mar 9, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    Lambert58, how is the MR7 situation progressing? Have you been able to move GBs of pics and video from C to external media? Have you retried MR7 & Windows VSS combo to make successful full images of your OS and Data partitions?

RolandJS, Mar 17, 2017
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

For moving /backing up large volumes of data -- DO IT with the STAND ALONE BOOTABLE version.

V.S.S is an abomination -- It's only really needed as it wants to lock the "C" partition if you are backing up while still using Windows. If you have a large amount of data on the "C" (OS) partition then V.S.S will usually always fail as it hasn't got enough spare space to create the OS snapshot data (for locking the partition).

On the stand alone version that's not a problem as V.S.S isn't used or needed.

Just create the boot media from Macrium and boot that -- works fine and no cludgy V.S.S to worry about.

Also only keep the OS and executable programs on the OS partition --keep data separate on other partitions or Disks.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 19, 2017
  14. Lambert58 Win User
    I had no idea I got bumped into my own thread, too scared to open my own, now it's two weeks later, I was just trying to decide to keep or dump Macrium and I thought I'd check someththing and instead of hitting my link, I went into my profile here and found this.
    Well, Now I will be following each piece, so, before I do, FiTomcat asked about my unit.....

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.321)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 9/22/2016 8:50:40 PM
    Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
    Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported) System Model GIGABYTE M4HM85P-00 1.x
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a 2.70 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4570R
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded Main Circuit Board b Board: GIGABYTE M4HM85P-00 1.x
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. F3 02/10/2014
    OK, I am going to start at the top and will post as I go.
    WOW!

Oh Mama Can This really Be tHE eND!

UPDATE:12:05
    Just about to run disk cleanup

Lambert58, Mar 28, 2017
  15. Lambert58 Win User
    3:30A, Just finish disk cleanup, had an hour or so of a dog emergency in the middle, so, not the entire 3 hrs. Used cleanmgr and cleaned my files, system files, AND ststem restore and shadow copies except latest.
    The alarm is going to bloin less than 3hrs, so, as good a place as any to break till afyer work tomorrow, B back by 7PM.
    THANX ALL! and yes, the problem persists, but I will checkk after a reboot to see what this brought about.

Well, Shakespeare, he’s in the alley - With his pointed shoes and his bells - Speaking to some French girl - Who says she knows me well - And I would send a message - To find out if she’s talked - But the post office has been stolen - And the mailbox is locked

Lambert58, Mar 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Stuck and going backwards with MR7 Home - Similar Threads - Stuck going backwards

2. Windows 11: Slowly responds when right clicking or going backwards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Slowly responds when right clicking or going backwards: This is SOOO ANNOYINGLY SLOW. Every time I right-click to copy/move files around in Windows 11, the system gives the spinning disk of death. Everything worked great on Windows 10, but not on Windows 11. Can someone help me fix this problem? I have looked everywhere for a...
  3. Windows 11: Slowly responds when right clicking or going backwards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Slowly responds when right clicking or going backwards: This is SOOO ANNOYINGLY SLOW. Every time I right-click to copy/move files around in Windows 11, the system gives the spinning disk of death. Everything worked great on Windows 10, but not on Windows 11. Can someone help me fix this problem? I have looked everywhere for a...
  4. MR7: Verify = "Permission Denied"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MR7: Verify = "Permission Denied": I'd made the System Image 3 weeks ago, and verified it the next day. Today, I ran the verification again. After a half hour, it got about 60% of the way through and then gave me "Verification Failure. Read Error. Permission Denied" The drive had not been removed from File...
  5. My Windows Update keep going backwards since I tried to update it, now it's stuck to Zero.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My Windows Update keep going backwards since I tried to update it, now it's stuck to Zero.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mean-Elderberry4207 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m8f8te/my_windows_update_keep_going_backwards_since_i/
  6. " and @ keys are backwards

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    " and @ keys are backwards: As title says. It's pretty frustrating as I've had this keyboard for over 2 years now. The setting in the OS is already set to 'United Kingdom' rather than 'US' submitted by /u/MishMashed_ [link] [comments]...
  7. MR7 Backups and Images

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MR7 Backups and Images: In MR7 what's the difference between the terms "backup" (create a backup) and "imaging" (create an image)? Seems like they point to the same process of creating an image (or images) for the purpose of backing up. *sarc 142876
  8. Monitors are backward

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitors are backward: I have 2 monitors on a dell docking station attached to my HP. To go to the monitor on the right I have to move my mouse to the left! any ideas on how to fix that other than physically moving the location of the two monitors? It worked fine on my Dell computer....
  9. backward compatibility

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    backward compatibility: I am reviewing my order list that includes a 3D printer and many traders are not guaranteeing backward compatibility testing with operating systems. I currently use Windows 10 Home, investing in a laboratory requires more money or investment. Sourced from www.ebay.co.uk,...
  10. when i type the keys go backwards

in Windows 10 Customization
    when i type the keys go backwards: Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-type-the-keys-go-backwards/74837678-aa78-4ac9-bf6f-c83e12fab76e