Windows 10: Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login!

Discus and support Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Bit of a story here... Been having issues lately with updates causing the spinning stars and no login issue - I had actually sorted the problem but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richard Jay, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login!

Bit of a story here...

Been having issues lately with updates causing the spinning stars and no login issue - I had actually sorted the problem but it appears that Windows created a restore point just prior to these changes this is important for the story later on.

I also have another issue that I was trying to solve with my Western Digital external hard drives which Windows suddenly has problems with - it is telling me that the drives do not have drivers! Now, no matter how many times I update the drivers or even delete them and reinstall them using Device Manager Windows is still telling me that these drives have no drivers despite Device Manager telling me that the EHD's are working properly after the driver reinstallations At no time did Disk Manager or File Explorer recognize these drives...

Now comes the tricky part! Because I could not find an easy solution to the problem I dug ever deeper into the issue to try and find a solution to why Windows could not recognize the drives on various forums... Several suggestions were found saying that the problem could be with the USB hub controllers and that the drivers probably needed updating - this did not work either. I found further suggestions that deleting the devices and then rebooting would impel Windows to reinstall the drivers appropriately. Driven by desperation I did this! Well Windows booted fine and the login page appeared as normal... However, I had no mouse or keyboard and so could not login...

My only recourse was to try and use the Windows Recovery system on bootup which I did... I successfully restored my computer back to the one and only restore point available see above... On rebooting the computer never got to the login and just did the spinning stars thing as it was doing a few days ago before I sorted it....

I tried to use Windows Recovery to access safe mode in order to deal with the Windows update issue by deleting the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder as I had previously done, however, every time I got to the safemode login Windows Recovery had already rolled back my system and so I no longer had a mouse or a keyboard and so could not login! I tried this a few times, including using the command prompt to disable the automatic actions of Windows Recovery to try and stop it from performing the rollback every time I tried to use safemode - did not work!

As a last resort once I had, again, gone back to my one and only restore point I tried to access the SoftwareDistribution folder using the command prompt in Windows Recovery but nothing I can do will locate this folder. Yes, I am not particularly familiar with command prompt directions since my DOS days are decades behind me now however I did do a lot of research and executed several different sets of commands serially to see whether this folder could be found within the Windows directory without luck! I must emphasize that this folder was never deleted by me at any time and only the contents of the relevant subfolder as per the original directions on any number of websites and forums... In any case the fact that I am stuck with the spinning stars problem indicates that the restore process put the updates back in their usual spot - problemis I cannot locate these files in my current situation and delete them...

Now, deleting those USB hub controllers was obviously the wrong thing to do, I accept that, well and truly. However, I now have a problem that I can only oscillate between two real scenarios neither of which allow me an option to even login to my system! In isolation I can fix both these problems but together they are an absolute nightmare!

Logic suggests that I have to get to a point where my mouse and keyboard work and then try to fix the Windows update spinning stars problem, but I cannot get there once I have done the restore through Windows Recovery I still cannot think of a solution to get into my system and delete the update files...

BTW, a lot of forum suggestions to deal with USB problems bring up the possibility of using PS2 mouse and keyboards but I have no PS2 ports on my system so that is not a potential solution.

I am in a real bind and need a solution...

Thanks for reading!

:)

Richard Jay, Jan 31, 2021
  2. mars Win User

USB Login Form

HI!

Can someone help me regarding my USB and a Java program. So I have created a Jar file where there is a login form. I have my USB that is partitioned in two. What I want to happen is before I open one of the partitions, my Login form will run. For example my usb has a Drive Z and a Drive Y, if I double click drive Y, my login form will appear. If password is not correct, then it will not be opened.

Please help. Thanks! *Smile Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login! :)

Regards,
    Mars

3. XDCash Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen - Not recognizes any keyboard and mouse

Windows 10 Login Screen not recognizes to ANY keyboard and mouse (both wired and wireless) but when power up to start up and the keyboard is working fine before login screen.

BUT - I am able to enter BIOS (keyboard working fine) and Acer Recovery Program (pressed by ALT + F10) and both keyboard and mouse working fine.

ONLY Login Screen not working where I have to type in password to unlock screen, however the keyboard’s number lock light went off when got on that screen, before that - it was light on while I am on BIOS and Recovery Program.

This not even make sense.

However, I tried those list.

• System restore (failed third times).
    • Refresh PC (failed).
    • Startup Repair (failed).
    • Tried go on safe mode but keyboard and mouse not recognizing.
    • I tried unplug both usb and restart without it until login screen open and reconnect both keyboard and mouse, still not recognizing.

I tried everything, seem nothing work at the login screen.

Any advice?

XDCash, Jan 31, 2021
  4. BrianP87 Win User

Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login!

USB Keyboard and Mouse no longer work on Windows 10 Login Screen

Hello,

Last night my computer was functioning normally but this morning when I turned it on, it will boot to the Windows 10 login screen and the USB connected keyboard and mouse cease to function. I have tried a number of troubleshooting steps but nothing is appearing
    to work.

1)The keyboard and mouse function on the BIOS setup screen so I know the devices and ports are still functioning correctly

2)I've tried plugging in the peripherals to different ports, the LEDs will light up on the devices briefly but they still do not function.

3) I unplugged both devices, restarted the computer and plugged the devices in once I'm on the login screen to see if the drivers reinstall but no luck.

4)I am unable to open the device manager or enter safe mode without the use of these devices to login to Windows.

My computer has a MSi b150M Mortar motherboard and an intel i5 CPU running Windows 10 Home edition.

BrianP87, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login!

1. Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login! - Similar Threads - Stuck between spinning

2. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB Ports stop working and stuck on Windows login due to disabled Keyboard & Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Ports stop working and stuck on Windows login due to disabled Keyboard & Mouse: My Windows 10 PC suddenly restarts and USB wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse stop working at the Windows login screen. They work absolutely fine in BIOS. Due to this, I'm stuck at the login screen forever. Nothing works and a clean install is the only option that seems to...
  6. Keyboard and mouse not responding at login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mouse not responding at login screen: I was fettling my fan curves on my ASrock X570 pro4 (AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with 32GB 3000 DDR4, 512Gb Nvme SSD) to quieten it down a little, I was using the ASrock utility in Windows 10 (2004 update). The temps were at about 40degrees (CPU and motherboard) 52degrees (chipset)...
  7. Windows 10 Stuck At Login Screen With Spinning Circle

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Stuck At Login Screen With Spinning Circle: Before I begin, I was able to use my computer up until now. I got home from work, and was able to log into my desktop computer. I was in the process of following some instructions on how to fix an issue with the Mail App. One of the instructions told me to disable...
  8. No keyboard or mouse on login and safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No keyboard or mouse on login and safe mode: Hi My keyboard and mouse are only working in the Bios and in the Recovery Console. I have tried to system restore as well as safe mode and some of the other “F” keys functions. The bios has no USB legacy setting. My question is, can I delete the USB driver over the...
  9. W10 stuck in Login screen, USB kb and mouse not working

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 stuck in Login screen, USB kb and mouse not working: So I have W10 since the release, clean install, and had no problems at all. Last night I just turned off my PC without any problems. But when I start it now, it is stuck in the W10 login screen. I do see the time and date, and the clock on the login screen is working. If I...
  10. Stuck at spinning circle before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at spinning circle before login screen: Hello, So here's my issue: I started my computer and came back to find a BSOD. It displayed an error code and mentioned something about a driver error. I waited until the loading reached 100%, but it didn't restart on its own so i shut the computer down manually by holding...