Windows 10: Stuck changing local account password - need help

Discus and support Stuck changing local account password - need help in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I changed my local account password. I then logged into my microsoft account and changed it to be the same. Unfortunately, I failed to realize I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Joseph Stateson, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Stuck changing local account password - need help

I changed my local account password. I then logged into my microsoft account and changed it to be the same. Unfortunately, I failed to realize I needed both upper and lower case. I made a proper password for the microsoft account and then went back to change the local one to be the same.

Something is wrong. I am told that the "old" password is not valid. I am sure I have the correct original password the one not allowed by the online account but it is not working. I do not have the account linked but I tried the new microsoft account password which did not work.

I am afraid to log out as I may not be able to log back in. I tried creating a new admin account windows home but cannot as it asks for the current password.

Another problem: Yahoo mail my att.net thinks the password code update is spam and it never downloads to outlook or windows mail. I had to go to yahoo.com and mark the "microsoft account team" as not spam. Will I have to do that every time?

:)

Joseph Stateson, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Forgot Local account password

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you as you do not remember the local account password, we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if you have Microsoft account on your computer.

If so, I suggest you to log-in with the Microsoft account and change the password for the local account.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key, type Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Then click on Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap Accounts, and then click Sign-in options.
    • Tap Change your password and follow the instructions.

For reference: Passwords in Windows: FAQ

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Stuck changing local account password - need help

Changing Account Password

Hello,

In order for us to assist you in a better way, kindly answer the below questions:

• Are you referring to Microsoft account or Local account?
    • If it's a Microsoft account, did you follow the steps provided in this
      article
      ?

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Stuck changing local account password - need help

1. Stuck changing local account password - need help - Similar Threads - Stuck changing local

2. Need help to change from Local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Need help to change from Local account: I've tried my best, but I simply cannot change this local account. All I want to do is remove the local account and make it logged in only with Microsoft/Gmail, but no matter what I do its stuck at this "FCPL" account. Windows specifications Edition - Windows 10 Home Single...
  3. Need help to change from Local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help to change from Local account: I've tried my best, but I simply cannot change this local account. All I want to do is remove the local account and make it logged in only with Microsoft/Gmail, but no matter what I do its stuck at this "FCPL" account. Windows specifications Edition - Windows 10 Home Single...
  4. Need help to change from Local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help regarding stuck in local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help regarding stuck in local account: I only have a local account on my laptop. And whenever i am trying to do something it says "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" After that it says "To continue, enter a admin username and password" But i have no place for input and also there is...
  6. Help regarding stuck in local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help regarding stuck in local account: I only have a local account on my laptop. And whenever i am trying to do something it says "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" After that it says "To continue, enter a admin username and password" But i have no place for input and also there is...
  7. Help regarding stuck in local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Local user account with no need for password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local user account with no need for password: Hi, I have two computers. One is a Windows 7 and I am in the process of upgrading that to Win 10. The other is a new Dell Optiplex 5270, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD OS drive. Question regarding the new Dell Optiplex: One thing I want to do is have my computer...
  9. Help needed changing Windows account password!

Help needed changing Windows account password!: Hi When i went to log on to my Windows account on my laptop this afternoon it told me my password was incorrect. I tried again and again and again without success. I am completely puzzled by this because i have used the same password for years, and there are only about 4...
  10. Local Account Password changed

Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...