Windows 10: Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225

Discus and support Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I really hope some kind and clever soul can help me - as I've been grappling with this issue for a week now and am at my wits end *cry System:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NickSee, Jul 21, 2017.

1. NickSee Win User

Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225

Hi I really hope some kind and clever soul can help me - as I've been grappling with this issue for a week now and am at my wits end *cry

System: PC. Motherboard:Asus M4A78 Pro, CPU: Phenom 9850 quad-core black edition, Bootdisk:HDD Crucial M550 128Gb SSD, Memory: Kingston HyperX 3x2Gb DIMMs, Graphics card Radeon xxxx Ti (can't remember and PC won't boot *Redface)

Over the last few weeks I noticed my PC would no longer resume from sleep correctly - fans would spin up, CDrom would initialise, but no HDMI output to screen and no response to power button - only option is to reset or hard power cycle. Setting bios (AMIbios) to S1 or S3 only prevented the issue, Auto would repeatably demonstrate the issue.

Last weekend whilst investigating the sleep issue and having to reset the PC as a result this windows 10 came up with a repair screen, successfully repaired and I was able to log in. It then occurred again and this time the system became stuck in a loop of "Windows failed to start." Boot manager dialogue (see below but ignore the virtualbox bit I borrowed this screenshot from elsewhere on www)

Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225 [​IMG]

At this point running MEMTEST I diagnosed a faulty DIMM. By cycling through 6 DIMMs through all slot combinations and many MEMTESTs I am currently running 3 x 2Gb modules that I am confident are good and I can run various Linux distros for hours on end with no issue. Weirdly I cannot run any Windows based recovery tools at all from CDRom drive or bootable USB, I know there is partition table corruption and possibly wimboot/MBR issues - more on this later.

If I tried to use Win 7 64bit DVD I'd get the loading files screen,then 0.5 second flash up of starting windows screen before coming back to the above boot manager screen.

If I press enter to continue, it says choose an operating system to start or press TAB to select a tool. The operating system has one option: windows setup [EMS enabled]. To specify an advanced option for this choice press F8 (doing so brings up usual boot options such as safe mode, with networking etc I have tried every option and ALL bring me back to the above screen).

I have tried various Windows ISO solutions including Kyhi's boot DVD/drive but all end up back at the above screen.

I'd love to be able to access bootrec.exe tool /rebuildBCD /fixMBR /fixboot but I just cannot get into any windows environment or command prompt to do so.

The only success I have is booting with Linux - the main tool I'm working with is GParted Live iso burnt to DVD. Using this (again for hours with no hardware issues) Debian based environment I can run the excellent Testdisk which allows the identification of missing partitions, recovery of MBR by copying across the backup MBR and so on.

other pics

dfsf

athe above is testdisk output. My issue is that testdisk seems to be saying that boot record is OK but partitions are mangled and I am struggling to identify the right partition structure to write to the partition table. Of the 3 found and shown above:

all show as deleted when testdisk first runs its analysis - but as user you choose whether to mark them as boot, primary, logical or extended - and then write that info to the partition table.

The first one does not display any files subdirectories
    The second one does show all the structure and files of my c:\ drive and I've been able to copy the files over to an external drive (but testdisk on another screen says this partition cant be recovered)
    The third partition contains Windows recovery files such as winre.wim and boot.sdi (can I do anything with these?) but by the looks of things overlaps the two versions of the c:\ drive potential partitions - maybe this is because I had to use Win 7 DVD to try to recover Win 10 as I was an upgrader from 7?

Final thing to mention is I was running two other HDD in a RAID configuration which I'm struggling to remember the details of but I have a horrible feeling I used windows 7 disk management to setup... if I have to bite the bullet and reinstall windows am I going to lose the ability to access those drives?

thanks for any observations or advice you can give *Think

:)

NickSee, Jul 21, 2017

2. Blue Screen of Death

I have a constant loop running after a failed windows 10 update that's creating havoc. The loop has an error code of 0xc0000225 your PC couldn't start properly.

If i try and start it in safe mode, it loops back to an error with a stopcode: NTFS FILE SYSTEM

and the circle loops again. It has been stuck like this for 2 days. Any advice?

Shelly-annde Vos, Jul 21, 2017
  3. CVerne Win User
    Windows 10 Repair Loop

Thanks for your reply. However, I am not able to get to the windows recovery console. When I try to boot from a Windows 10 boot USB image, I get the message I posted originally. There is no option to "Install Windows" or "Repair your computer." The message
    on the screen reads exactly as follows:

----------------------------------------------------

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer

2. Choose your language setting, and then click "Next"

3. Click "Repair your computer"

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

-----------------------------------------------------

I created the Windows 10 boot image on the USB because my computer is in the infinite BSOD loop and the forums indicate this is a way to recover.

Any further help on the above error message or the original BSOD loop problem is greatly appreciated.

-CPV

CVerne, Jul 21, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

It looks to me like the file system structure on your OS partition is bad.
    Do you happen to have run chkdsk with Kyhi's WinPE?

5. NickSee Win User
    thanks very much Axe0 for taking the time to reply on this - much appreciated Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225 :) unfortunately I couldn't get Kyhi's WinPE to run so the answer is no I'm afraid.

NickSee, Jul 21, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Could you explain what happens when you try to run Kyhi's WinPE in more detail please.
    You select the bootable device, your system attempts to load what's on it and then?

7. NickSee Win User
    Hi,

If I boot from that CD this is what we get:
    press any key to boot from CD ROM
    blue windows logo (no other text)
    8 minutes+
    hard drive light stays lit solid throughout
    CD rom data light flashes throughout

then I believe eventually we end up at the boot manager screen but I'm doing it as I type and will correct this post if that is incorrect (the other option is that it just stays on the win logo and I have to reset) I'll be back to check in 30 mins have a car to repair in meantime *Smile

aha just before I got back to car repairs - it has gone from windows logo to the usual Recovery screen 'Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. An unexpected error has occurred. Error code 0xc0000225. You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media contact your admin or manufacturer.' Press Enter to try again or F8 for startup settings.

NickSee, Jul 21, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

The drive itself is pretty much ruled out, could you please run another time memtest and post a photo of the result.

9. NickSee Win User
    Ok I'll set it up to run a few passes this morning and post back around lunchtime.

NickSee, Jul 22, 2017
  10. NickSee Win User
    Just check on the test progress:

and went back 20 mins later and it was doing this (see below) - not sure if that means there was a problem or the tests completed? So am running another 5 extended tests now.

Attachment 145223

NickSee, Jul 22, 2017
  11. axe0 New Member
    The test completed, but no result is given since the result is provided after you login.

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

12. NickSee Win User
    it has been doing extended tests since last post and is just coming up to complete the 5th pass no errors thus far

NickSee, Jul 22, 2017
  13. NickSee Win User

as I cannot log into Windows I cannot show you the results all I can do is report that it had found no errors just before it completes and reboots

NickSee, Jul 22, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    The reason why I suggest memtest86+ is because you can see the results immediately *Smile

15. NickSee Win User
    how do I run that please Axe?

NickSee, Jul 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Stuck in repair/windows boot manager loop error 0xc0000225 - Similar Threads - Stuck repair boot

2. PC stuck in repair boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC stuck in repair boot loop: Hi, I have an i7-6700k with a MSI Z170A gaming m3 mobo, and 32 gigs of Corsair dom plat ram normally running at 3100mhz, rated at 3200. I tried moving the speeds up to 3200,but now my computer is stuck in the auto repair boot loop and i cant do ANYTHING. It won't allow me to...
  3. Windows Boot Manager stuck in Automatic Repair loop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot Manager stuck in Automatic Repair loop.: Hi. I recently installed in my computer a distro of Linux OS, and partitioned the HDD for it, so that now my computer has two boot options at startup. After the installation of Linux, Windows still managed to boot normally as it always did.At some point, I decided to try...
  4. Windows Boot Manager stuck in Automatic Repair loop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Boot Manager stuck in Automatic Repair loop.: Hi. I recently installed in my computer a distro of Linux OS, and partitioned the HDD for it, so that now my computer has two boot options at startup. After the installation of Linux, Windows still managed to boot normally as it always did.At some point, I decided to try...
  5. Windows Boot Manager Error 0xc0000225: "The boot configuration data for your pc is missing...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Manager Error 0xc0000225: "The boot configuration data for your pc is missing...: I cannot boot into Windows. I have created USB media to repair my installation. Startup Repair was unable to repair the drive. SFC will not run I've been following the steps here but some seem a little extreme/confusing to me....
  6. Stuck in boot loop automatic repair.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in boot loop automatic repair.: My laptop ran out of charge and turned off automatically. When i turned it on it showed "preparing automatic repair" and shows this blue screen.when i clicked continue it brought me back to the same blue screen. Plz help me What should I do?[IMG]...
  7. Boot Loop 0xC0000225

Boot Loop 0xC0000225: Woke up turned my computer on and it won't boot and gives this error. I tried fixing the boot files and bcd and all the standard things and the only thing that fixed it was a clean install of windows 10 version 1909. I did nothing to cause this the computer was shut down...
  8. Windows 10 boot error 0xc0000225.

Windows 10 boot error 0xc0000225.: Recently I was trying to install another boot system on my Windows 10 volume system with a tool to install a dual boot system without a CD/DVD or USB, but after I've failed I have opened my Windows 10 volume system and there was too many files, and there was a "Unstaill.exe"...
  9. im stuck on error 0xc0000225

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    im stuck on error 0xc0000225: hi i have absolutely no idea what im doing and i need help im stuck on the error code 0xc0000225 and my laptop wont boot up properly ive tried all the online methods but none of them work i read somewhere i need to boot up windows 10 from a usb drive, however, i downloaded...
  10. Automatic repair loop with Error code 0xc0000225

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Automatic repair loop with Error code 0xc0000225: My computer had been stuck in an automatic repair loop. The error code is 0xc0000225 and it says that the operating system could not be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors. File: \WINDOWS\system32\config\system. I have tried repairing my...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. persistent error 0xc000225

2. next book stuck in a reboot loop 0xC0000225