Windows 10: Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into...

Discus and support Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story, laptop screen was having issues, took a gamble and tried replacing the cord first. No dice and in the process I lost all screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/getrill, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into...

Long story, laptop screen was having issues, took a gamble and tried replacing the cord first. No dice and in the process I lost all screen functionality so I ordered a replacement lcd panel since that was originally plan b but that will be a while longer to arrive.

At that point I was able to use the laptop's HDMI port with my TV and that was all fine, just not the most practical. I got an HDMI/vga adaptor to try and use it with an older monitor but the monitor kept giving an error for "out of range" and requesting a lower resolution. After running back and forth to the TV a few times to try and set it manually, but ultimately never appeasing the monitor (still unclear why, I set it to exactly what it wanted), I got the bright idea to boot into safe mode thinking that might force an all-around lower resolution in case my settings on the TV were just not sticking when I connected another display.

That move seems to have amounted to shooting myself in the foot because apparently my HDMI port does not work at all in safe mode, now all I can do is turn the computer on and listen to it whirr. I had assumed that safe mode would be a one-time deal based on the way I set it in msconfig, but I guess not? Otherwise I do not know why it no longer works with the TV after manually rebooting it (I do not suspect the video card was the original issue because HDMI connection never presented any of the symptoms that warranted the original repairs).

Is there some sort of reliable series of key presses I can do to navigate to a "start windows normally option", starting from boot? The only other windows machine I currently have access to is a work computer that warned it would require an encrytion key if I entered safe mode so I didn't mess with that, otherwise my idea was to try a side-by-side walkthrough with the broken one.

Am a bit concerned that if the original problem is not fixed via the replacement lcd panel, I've effectively locked myself out of this machine altogether now. So any help will be appreciated.

submitted by /u/getrill
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/getrill, Dec 23, 2019

2. Computer got stuck on Safe Mode

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As your computer is stuck in Safe Mode, try these steps.

• Press Win + R key on the keyboard and in the run Window type
      msconfig.
    • Click the Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot if it is selected.
    Hope this information helps.

Ravinath P, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into...

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into...

1. Stuck in safe mode? Laptop screen is busted, was using HDMI port successfully. Booted into... - Similar Threads - Stuck safe mode

2. Laptop stuck on loading screen and safe mode won't help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck on loading screen and safe mode won't help: I tried the startup repair but its just says "startup repair couldn't repair you PCPress advanced options to try other options to repair you PC or shut down to turn off your PC Log file:"I tried a bunch of command i saw on here but none of them workedI need help please!...
  3. Laptop stuck on loading screen and safe mode won't help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck on loading screen and safe mode won't help: I tried the startup repair but its just says "startup repair couldn't repair you PCPress advanced options to try other options to repair you PC or shut down to turn off your PC Log file:"I tried a bunch of command i saw on here but none of them workedI need help please!...
  4. Stuck at sign in after booting into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck at sign in after booting into safe mode: Just booted into safe mode to use AMDs clean up utility and reinstall my chipset drivers but every time I come to sign in it will say just a moment and asks to search the store for a required app? I can't sign in and restarting just puts me back at sign in with safe mode...
  5. Computer stuck at start up when booting using safe mode

Computer stuck at start up when booting using safe mode: I'm having trouble updating to 2004, so I tried to restart the computer in safe mode. However, now my computer just gets stick when booting. I only see the MSI logo (not even the spinning dots which usually show up below the logo) and this screen just stays there until I...
  6. Stuck on Login screen in Safe mode

Stuck on Login screen in Safe mode: Long story short I am where I would put my password to login on safe mode but every password I've tried won't let me login and I don't know what to do. Please help submitted by /u/TOOCH447 [link] [comments]...
  7. STUCK IN SAFE MODE BOOT UP.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    STUCK IN SAFE MODE BOOT UP.: Hello guys. So i need help last night i booted up my laptop into safe mode to hopefully resolve my Bluetooth problems but now i have more big problem. you see my 4 digit pin dont work anymore and i tried googling for answer and i read that i need to go to command prompt in...
  8. Stuck on lock screen in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on lock screen in safe mode: Hello, I'm Maricruz Covarrubias and I can't get out the lock screen in safe mode with my password. I tried that method where you hold the shift key and clicked on restart in power button menu and go to the troubleshooting section and clicked restart again where it gives you...
  9. Dell Laptop stuck in Safe Mode

Dell Laptop stuck in Safe Mode: 1 I recently got a virus on my computer which my antivirus was able to get rid of successfully but when I restarted the laptop it is now in safe mode and I can't figure out any way to get out of it. I have tried bootrec /fixboot among other inputs to no avail. This has been...
  10. Stuck in "minimal safe mode" boot cycle

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in "minimal safe mode" boot cycle: Hi, I was just in the process of changing my SATA hard drives over to using AHCI instead of IDE. Following some instructions from the web I issued the command "bcdedit /set{current} safeboot minimal". I rebooted the machine and sure enough it booted into safe mode. It was...