Windows 10: Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.

Discus and support Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; RUFUS, as shown in post #24 Well I had done it with Unetbootin and worked fine. But when I got into Partition Wizard I got the same warning as before.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kmint, Feb 24, 2016.

1. kmint Win User

Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.

Well I had done it with Unetbootin and worked fine. But when I got into Partition Wizard I got the same warning as before.

Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. [​IMG]

kmint, Mar 5, 2016
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

You are using Partition Wizard as installed in the PC, again.

YOU NEED TO USE THE BOOTABLE CD.

Boot from PW Boot CD.

Dont forget to have your windows installer ready before doing it.

3. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I built my new UEFI computer two weeks ago. The SSD from my old computer was MBR. I could not get it to convert to GPT with the operating system on it.

I tried booting from MiniTool Partition Wizard flash drive and got the same results as you. I tried creating a backup image with Macrium Reflect, then converting the disk to GPT, then restoring the backup. No luck. So I ended up converting the blank SSD to GPT, booting from Windows 10 UEFI flash drive and doing a clean install.

MiniTool Partition Wizard did convert my storage only hard drive to GPT without any data loss.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Many a times. Here is the first time, for myself.

When a partition is running the system, it is not accessible for this operation. Bootable CD does it without any problem.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad you got it to work. Wouldn't work for me. What step was I doing wrong? Bios set for UEFI booting. Initially tried to boot from flash drive created from MiniTool Partition Wizard Free ISO. It would boot up to the point just before loading MiniTool but then freeze, I think incompatible graphics card - but that flash drive would boot on my other computers all the way into MiniTool. Booted from Kyhi's Recovery PE flash drive which contains MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro. Attempted to convert SSD to GPT and got the same results as kmint.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
    First time:
    It was Legacy BIOS setup disabling UEFI. Disks was MBR, containing Logical partitions too.
    PW bootable USB was made with UUI. Booted from it, Selected the disks one by one, converted them to GPT, applied.
    Set the BIOS to UEFI, booted the windows installer as UEFI (using boot menu), installed Windows. It automatically created the MSR partition, and I was sure that it is done.

Later times (at least 10-12 times for friends and colleagues. They got new boards but kept old HDDs):
    BIOS set to UEFI by default (new boards). UEFI Bootable PW created with Rufus. Converted the disks to GPT. Ran windows installer as UEFI. All set.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Why were you running the Windows installer after converting the disk to GPT?

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    To have a clean install in UEFI mode. *Smile After the disks are changed to GPT, the installed windows is of no work there.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well...that happens to be what kmint is trying to do in this thread. Convert an MBR disk with an operating Windows 10 installed on it to GPT for use on an UEFI system. So you haven't previously done what we are attempting to do in this thread. What you have done is converted disks to GPT and THEN installed Windows 10 on them after the conversion.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  11. kmint Win User
    No @Arc, I only used the same screenshot to show the same warning again, but I have booted from the bootable USB Flash, that I have burned first with Unetbootin and later with Rufus and got the same result. So, it's not from Windows, it's from the USB drive. And it doesn't work.

In any case, I don't mind if it is MBR or GPT, UEFI, CSM or whatever because I will only use two partitions and small sized, what I want is to fix the different problems in switching off (doesn't switch off well, three leds remain on and won't start when I press start button), sleep mode or fast boot.

Maybe I will need to empty the disk and wipe it completely to install W10 on GPT again, but it's 270 GB and it takes very long to move to the external disk.

Thank you.

kmint, Mar 5, 2016
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Saying again, he will be able to do it using the Partition Wizard Bootable CD. And if he wants to save the data on the Partition D, then he has no other way than it.

He is using the installed PW. The bootable CD will not give you the windows taskbar.

But everything will be followed by a clean reinstall. Any change in the disk mode makes windows unbootable.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

And that is the same experience I had as well.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    kmint, what settings of Rufus you are using while making the bootable PW?

According to the disk management screenshot you posted in post 3, you should follow this:
    Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. [​IMG]
    And, if it shows this error in bootable PW, you may proceed. Because after the conversion it will be unbootable for sure.

Get the windows installer ready. Do the installation as and when the conversion is done.

15. kmint Win User
    I used the settings you told me in the post #24, where you said to use the other option for GPT.

Anyway, I'll try again with these ones just in case I did something wrong.

Thanks!

kmint, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. - Similar Threads - Stuck UEFI reset

2. No display after resetting bios to defaults.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No display after resetting bios to defaults.: I upgraded my pc, a new mb ram and cpu. All old parts were working before. mb: z790 strix gaming wificpu: i5-13600kf gpu: gtx 1080 next upgraderam: Teamgroup 7800 ddr5psu: evga 1000 watt goldstorage: Corsair nvme, Samsung evo pro ssd, 2 old HDDsWhen I booted first time it...
  3. No display after resetting bios to defaults.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No display after resetting bios to defaults.: I upgraded my pc, a new mb ram and cpu. All old parts were working before. mb: z790 strix gaming wificpu: i5-13600kf gpu: gtx 1080 next upgraderam: Teamgroup 7800 ddr5psu: evga 1000 watt goldstorage: Corsair nvme, Samsung evo pro ssd, 2 old HDDsWhen I booted first time it...
  4. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in UEFI Bios mode: Hi,I wanted to erase the files on my computer to sell it, but when I started it I got a quick message that something was wrong with Windows. Since then I'm stuck in the UEFI Bios mode where I can't get out. Pressing the "Save and Exit" gives me the message that I did not make...
  5. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in UEFI Bios mode: Hi,I wanted to erase the files on my computer to sell it, but when I started it I got a quick message that something was wrong with Windows. Since then I'm stuck in the UEFI Bios mode where I can't get out. Pressing the "Save and Exit" gives me the message that I did not make...
  6. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Computer resets to default after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer resets to default after restart: Every time I turn on my computer I log in and find out that my wallpaper, pins, desktop, and other settings reset to defaults. It's really annoying and I don't know how to fix it, can anybody help? submitted by /u/Hamburger_____ [link] [comments]...
  8. Stuck after clicking restart in UEFI Settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuck after clicking restart in UEFI Settings: I have an Alienware Aurora A9. I’m trying to change which gpu my computer is using. Currently being used is an Intel gpu and id like to switch to my nvidia gpu. But im getting stuck after I click restart in UFEI Settings and its not booting up my boot manager to allow me to...
  9. Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates: No, there are no driver or device issues (first thing I checked). Everything worked absolutely fine on Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 and my speaker default is reset with each update (along with practically everything else because, well, Windows 10). ***Moved From:...
  10. Stuck in UEFI BIOS after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in UEFI BIOS after Windows 10 update: Just came home to see my box finishing a new Windows 10 update and restart. Restart ended in a “Blue Screen”, then reboot that went straight to the BIOS. BIOS shows everything as normal as far as I can tell. The OS SSD is also listed as boot device 1 but every restart leads...