Windows 10: Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

Discus and support Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tianavaig, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first time ever.

It has been sitting at 100% complete for about 20 minutes. The fan is making a lot of noise (it's usually silent).

My main/only concern right now is keeping the data on the external hard drive safe. It still has the connection light showing, and when I touch it I feel the gentle rumbling that tells me it's doing something.

Can I do a hard reboot? Is there even any other option? What is my best chance at keeping the hard drive safe?

I've read that a BSOD at 100% is no longer doing anything. But the noise from the fan and the signs of life from that hard drive sure make it seem like it's doing something.

The error is: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

Hoping someone can help.... thanks!

submitted by /u/Tianavaig
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tianavaig, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 28, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

1. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached - Similar Threads - Stuck BSOD external

2. External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated: Hi, I have an Acer laptop running windows 10. I have tried multiple times to defragment my external Hard Drive Seagate but every time it gets stuck 0% consolidated.I have run CHKDSK and I am posting the log below - can you please help?I also have another question, due to a...
  3. Backup to external hard drive stuck at 97%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup to external hard drive stuck at 97%: Hello,I'm trying to backup to an external hard drive but it keeps getting stuck at 97%. I've installed all Windows updates, done a clean boot of my PC and scanned the disc for errors none found. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. Any assistance you can provide in...
  4. Backup to external hard drive stuck at 97%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup to external hard drive stuck at 97%: Hello,I'm trying to backup to an external hard drive but it keeps getting stuck at 97%. I've installed all Windows updates, done a clean boot of my PC and scanned the disc for errors none found. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. Any assistance you can provide in...
  5. External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%: When I plug in my hard drive, Windows wants to repair it, then loads to 100% and gets stuck. I searched for other solutions and came across "chkdsk". When I tried that, the same error occured. I suppose the cause of the error is that my hard drive is using exFAT instead of...
  6. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  7. External hard drive giving BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive giving BSOD: when i plug in my passport ultra 1 tb drive it is giving me the BSOD and when I plug it into another computer it is giving me the same thing. the error message is: 5/22/2020 11:13 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name:...
  8. Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached: So this question is asked here and there with nothing concrete. I have an alienware alpha with Windows 10. Whenever I plug in an external hard drive Seagate Backup Plus NAB90MJS 2019 the computer goes into black screen. Things I have tried: 1. Using Legacy BIOS 2....
  9. BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive: Hello, title says it all. Basically I was torrenting a large file to an external hard drive. For many hours, it worked fine, and while I was using the laptop, it was just for listening to music. It was the only torrent I was downloading during the time and I wasnt seeding...
  10. Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router: Hoping someone can help me with this...scanning to external hard drive attached to router. My setup: Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 9010 (purchased from Dell's refurbished site, if that means anything) Asus RT-AC3200 router HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 printer Printer is...