Windows 10: Stuck on desktop, no icons, no taskbar, can’t open anything, can’t reset

Discus and support Stuck on desktop, no icons, no taskbar, can’t open anything, can’t reset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Something very strange happened to a new computer yesterday. I logged on, booted up a game, and it froze. I shut it down and haven’t been able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Iro18, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Iro18 Win User

Stuck on desktop, no icons, no taskbar, can’t open anything, can’t reset

Hi,

Something very strange happened to a new computer yesterday. I logged on, booted up a game, and it froze. I shut it down and haven’t been able to get it running since.

System repair failed, cannot restore, cannot reset, cannot refresh. Boot up is very slow compared to normal. Sometimes it will attempt and fail automatic repair on startup and not even make it to login.

Login screen is blue instead of my desktop image. Desktop image is correct but no icons, no task bar, no start menu, can’t open anything, can’t get task manager open, can’t open command prompt.

When I click, I get the blue loading circle for a moment then an error at the top left titled “Microsoft Windows” saying the application is not responding and asks to end the process. I click end, then this repeats with the blue loading circle and error again.

I built this computer a few weeks ago and everything has been fine so far. I did plug in additional fan & usb wires to my motherboard last week but it was working fine. Not sure if an incorrect wiring or doing it after i already installed windows affects anything, but that was still fine for a week.

It sounds like i need to wipe the whole entire thing and start fresh from scratch, but doesn’t that seem extreme after it simply froze? No idea.. hopefully i didn’t break any hardware or something.

I also did see the last restore point was from an update yesterday, which it fails to uninstall/restore to previous point.

:)

Iro18, Feb 17, 2021
  2. CuFc 1960 Win User

Win 10 all of a sudden open programs won`t minimise or maximise

Hi

I haven`t made any changes ..so probably a Windows update...previously with any running programs I could left click the icon in the taskbar and it would maximise and minimise...not now...also I can`t right click on desktop?? I also notice when I click on start I have these 3 `new` icons on top left of desktop...exted..pinned tiles..all apps...I never saw this before and it`s not on any of my other Win 10 pc`s (none of which have the issues described) Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks

CuFc 1960, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Stuck on desktop, no icons, no taskbar, can’t open anything, can’t reset - Similar Threads - Stuck desktop icons

2. I can’t interact with anything on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can’t interact with anything on the desktop.: I accidentally unzipped a big file straight to my desktop so i used ctrl-z. Since then the task bar and desktop restart every time i click them, but other programs that are on work perfectly fine. At the bottom of task manager, Windows explorer is using 11% cpu and i can’t...
  3. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t open anything.: When I start my computer and get to the desktop menu, I can’t open any apps, I can’t open the search bar in Windows and I can’t do any commands. When I try to do anything my computer completely freezes / lags. Could this be because of broken hardware or some kind of virus?...
  4. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t open anything.: When I start my computer and get to the desktop menu, I can’t open any apps, I can’t open the search bar in Windows and I can’t do any commands. When I try to do anything my computer completely freezes / lags. Could this be because of broken hardware or some kind of virus?...
  5. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Stuck on Update and can’t open laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on Update and can’t open laptop: My laptop has been stuck on updating and when it says it’s “almost done” updating it goes white then when I press windows button + L to lock and sign in it goes back to updating. I tried to restart it but it gets stuck to the loading screen for 20 mins then goes back to...
  7. Windows 10 can’t open ANYTHING.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 can’t open ANYTHING.: So just now i was playing rocket league on my pc that i built a while back. I got off the game and tried to open valorant and it gave me a bad image error. Now i get an error code 0xc000012f saying bad image for one drive. I want to run an sfc scan but my computer isnt...
  8. Can’t Download Anything

Can’t Download Anything: My laptop installed a windows update tonight and afterwards I cannot download a single file. Every time I go to download something it says “Failed virus scan”. I looked up every solution, tried them all, and it still doesn’t work. Eventually decided to try and deleting my...
  9. All icons gone, can’t open anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All icons gone, can’t open anything: So I restarted my computer because the keyboard wasn’t working but the mouse was. After I restarted it, I come to a home screen with all icons missing, can’t open anything, and every time I go on the taskbar it just shows a loading icon and doesn’t do anything. If I also...
  10. Can’t Reset

Can’t Reset: I need help with resetting a corrupted hard drive. The hard drive won’t start and boots in what I think is recovery mode. I’ve tried resetting by a) Keep my files, which tells me I don’t have administrative permissions, or b) Remove everything which tells me that “there was a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 stuck on desktop no icons