Windows 10: Stuck on old Windows build - Update to newer fails

Discus and support Stuck on old Windows build - Update to newer fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm stuck on Build 18932. And I think Windows restarts randomly because this is too old? Can this be correct? When I open Windows Update, it will say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wimow, Jan 8, 2020.

1. wimow Win User

Stuck on old Windows build - Update to newer fails

I'm stuck on Build 18932. And I think Windows restarts randomly because this is too old? Can this be correct?

1. When I open Windows Update, it will say 19536 is a available
    2. It downloads it, and starts to install
    3. When my computer restarts, it will start updating
    4. But after only a minute or two, the PC will restart again
    5. Now it will say "Undoing changes made to your computer"
    6. Windows boots normally again, still at old version, and not a single mention that anything failed.
    7. Checking for updates again - GO TO 1.....

Things I already tried:

• Downloaded the update tool. "Just says thanks for updating to the latest version" and exit is only option
    • Downloaded Media Creation tool - it will not let me choose to keep files and settings, forcing a complete reformat, which is not an option.
    • Deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder
    • Started in Safe mode, but apparently you can't update in safe mode.

Why are there no error messages, or log files saying why it fails?

Here is a log I managed to compile, but I can't find anything useful: https://pastebin.com/1Xju06CE

:)

wimow, Jan 8, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jan 8, 2020
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jan 8, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Stuck on old Windows build - Update to newer fails - Similar Threads - Stuck old build

2. Cannot update to a newer build from 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot update to a newer build from 1909: I have tried to install the latest update several times, but it is always failing on 77 percent before the reboot. It just reboots and the system is not updated.Can you suggest what is wrong?I managed to find the install logs, but I can't understand them, to be honest.UPD: my...
  3. Cannot update to a newer build from 1909

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot update to a newer build from 1909: I have tried to install the latest update several times, but it is always failing on 77 percent before the reboot. It just reboots and the system is not updated.Can you suggest what is wrong?I managed to find the install logs, but I can't understand them, to be honest.UPD: my...
  4. Cannot update to a newer build from 1909

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Updates Failed - Stuck at 1803 build since

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Updates Failed - Stuck at 1803 build since: Ever since 1803 build , i'm unable to update to newer Windows 10 build.Updates still get downloaded and installed, then prompted for restart to finish installation, but failed with unexpected error at 20-30% progress and proceed to revert / remove any changes made, then boot...
  6. check windows update for a newer and more secure build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    check windows update for a newer and more secure build: "check windows update for a newer and more secure build" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-windows-update-for-a-newer-and-more-secure/eb6683ff-ac84-4621-83a2-1fd5a290e016
  7. check windows update for a newer and more secure build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    check windows update for a newer and more secure build: "check windows update for a newer and more secure build" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-windows-update-for-a-newer-and-more-secure/eb6683ff-ac84-4621-83a2-1fd5a290e016
  8. will newer nvidia driver versions work on old windows 10 builds

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    will newer nvidia driver versions work on old windows 10 builds: for example assume i tried to install nvidia driver version 445.87 on windows 10 build 1511. will i be allowed to do that or i won't and i will get an error message during the setup which says i am installing driver on an incompatible version of windows? if the setup worked...
  9. Windows 10 Build 1803 Not Updating To Newer Build

Windows 10 Build 1803 Not Updating To Newer Build: I just reinstalled windows from a USB key and started up the updates but check for updates says "You're up to date" but I have newer builds on my other computers (1809). The time on this computer is also wrong with automatic "Set time zone automatically" option enabled and...
  10. Stuck on Build 10166 Windows Update not giving newer builds

Stuck on Build 10166 Windows Update not giving newer builds: Hello everyone, For a few weeks I'm already stuck in Build 10166 of the Windows Insider program, Microsoft said that insiders would receive the launch version before public but I still haven't received an update to the final version yet. However non insiders already have...