Windows 10: Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all.

Discus and support Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I was trying to repair my Laptop and have found myself caught on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen for hours upon hours whenever the Laptop is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TrippPittman, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all.

So, I was trying to repair my Laptop and have found myself caught on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen for hours upon hours whenever the Laptop is turned on.

I have been looking stuff up about this error all over and have seen that starting windows from a bootable drive or, even using a command prompt to turn off automatic repair. I would like to try this fixes, but my laptop wont respond to F1, F2, F10, or F12, or hell any of the Fs. I have to use the FN function key to even press F1-12 and I believe it is not reading that button press on start up before the Automatic Repair screen.

I have had multiple errors trying to update to the newest windows version due to a UEFI problem and was looking to fix that. In the process of fixing this problem, I had been turning my computer on in off to load a fresh start of windows on my computer to fix the UEFI error and boom, the Automatic Repair screen popped up.

I can provide any additional information needed, but would like to know a way to start my computer again without it staying in the Automatic Repair screen. I can hear my fans turning off and on while that screen is up, so I feel like my computer isn’t completely frozen. I have a Dell G7 gaming laptop, if that means anything...

:)

TrippPittman, Jan 9, 2020

2. My HP laptop is stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair has been for many hours

Hello Sarah,

I'd like to verify if you're computer is still stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair state. If not, I'd suggest to perform the steps below:

1. Force shutdown your laptop, check first if your computer will boot normally. If not, after your computer restarts several times. you'll see the Windows 10 Boot Options menu.

2. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options.

3. Choose Command Prompt, copy and paste the commands below and press Enter the after each line:

• bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 9, 2020
  3. windows 10 preparing automatic repair black screen (Stuck)

Hello,

I Have Dell G3 laptop "Preparing Automatic Repair" - black screen. I don't see the Windows loading. I just have a black screen with logo DELL in the centre. Nothing is moving, nothing else appears, until the
    "Preparing Automatic Repair" appears at the bottom.

I've tried doing the hard restarts many times, but the laptop will never boot into the Recovery Environment.

I tried hard restarts but it keeps repeating this cycle over and over again - "Preparing Automatic Repair" - black screen "STUCK" . I even left my laptop on the black screen for a couple of hours, hoping it might fix
    itself but it does nothing.

How can I get out of this problem that Windows has forced my laptop into?

Thank you

Bachtiar_R, Jan 9, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all.

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all.

1. Stuck on “Preparing Automatic Update” screen, laptop will not boot at all. - Similar Threads - Stuck “Preparing Automatic

2. Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: I updated from windows 11 to windows 12 and restarted it booted correctly but the second time i did i got in a "preparing automatic repair" loop that follows a bsod with a stop code "driver_pnp_watchdog" i can get to bios settings but not troubleshooting and advanced options...
  3. Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: I updated from windows 11 to windows 12 and restarted it booted correctly but the second time i did i got in a "preparing automatic repair" loop that follows a bsod with a stop code "driver_pnp_watchdog" i can get to bios settings but not troubleshooting and advanced options...
  4. Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen after an update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen after an update.: After an update the computer restarted. For some reason it is now always getting stuck on Preparing Automatic Update screen. When I restart the laptop, ot comes up with the blue "device ran into problem screen", restarts and then loops around....
  5. Laptop stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair": Hi fellas, yesterday my laptop went off abruptly. Since then I have not been able to get it working up again. What happens is that whenever I turn it on, it shows the Asus logo and the circles circling around as usual, after that it goes black for a second and I get the same...
  6. Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair: Hello everyone. My computer gave me an error stating "The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application." after installing the most recent windows update. It is...
  7. HP laptop stuck at "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen

HP laptop stuck at "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen: When the C drive was "repaired" by Windows on my laptop, it restarted. I saw the HP logo briefly, then the computer threw up a Blue Screen of Death. The stopcode is: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM. Then, it got stuck on the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. My computer model is a HP...
  8. Laptop stuck in "preparing automatic repair" screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "preparing automatic repair" screen: o I was using my laptop and it suddenly restarted and then displayed the message " Preparing automatic repair" and the Toshiba logo (manufacturer of the laptop). I have left for 3 hours and it is still stuck in the same screen. I tried restarting the laptop, booting into...
  9. Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair: sometime yesterday I tried to boot my windows 10 laptop and it got stuck on the login screen, before I pressed anything to go to the password screen. I tried moving the mouse around to no result. I figured it was frozen so i held down the power button until the laptop turned...
  10. Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen.

Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair screen.: Since last night my laptop has been stuck on the loading screen with writing saying “Prepaing Automatic Repair. i have tried turning my laptop on and off again. I have tried activating safe mode so I can go on my computer. I have tried doing a system reset with only my...