Windows 10: Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows"

Discus and support Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all. My Surface Go was getting a bit slow so I decided to do a factory reset. But it's been hanging on the "Preparing to configure Windows. Don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NonaYoBidnes, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows"

Hi all.

My Surface Go was getting a bit slow so I decided to do a factory reset.

But it's been hanging on the "Preparing to configure Windows. Don't turn off your computer" screen for over 5 hours.

A cursory search on the net tells me this is not normal. My machine is the Surface Go model 1824, running Windows 10S.

What should I do?

:)

NonaYoBidnes, Jun 7, 2020

2. Computer Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows

Hi Reegan,

Your concern regarding the stuck on preparing to configure screen in Windows can be due to changes on your device configuration/settings or broken system files. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Which Windows build and version is running on your device? Type
      winver in the search box and press Enter to help you identify.
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run a full scan (SFC) and run a check health (DISM) command to rule out any issues related to corrupted system files which may prevent your device from starting properly.
    To do this, you can follow the steps on this Forum Article created by
    community MVP ZigZag3143.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Stuck on "Preparing to configure windows", restore windows is not work

Hi Ansonkan,

The "Preparing to configure windows" means that your computer is applying the necessary update and changes made on the computer. Being stuck on that page might be caused by software conflicts or due to corrupted system files.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you that you perform a clean boot. A clean boot will help eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program, update, or when you run a program in Windows 10. To do this, refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • On the run command box, type msconfig, and then hit
      Enter.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click
      Disable all
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open
      Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      OK, and then restart the computer.

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to normal startup mode.

For your reference, you can check this article.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Monica Cam, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows"

Preparing to configure windows stuck

I have wanted to restart my computer, after turning it back on it is stuck on a screen that says preparing to configure windows do not turn off your computer. It has been like this for over 3 hours and ive got important work to do. I am on windows 10,
    using the Dell inspiron 15 5559

itsewelina, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows"

1. Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows" - Similar Threads - Stuck Preparing configure

2. Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen: I opened up my laptop from sleep and see 'Preparing to configure Windows' screen, it's been an hour and still no progress. Have tried powering down a few times and it flashes back to this screen ... should I just wait it out?...
  3. Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen: I opened up my laptop from sleep and see 'Preparing to configure Windows' screen, it's been an hour and still no progress. Have tried powering down a few times and it flashes back to this screen ... should I just wait it out?...
  4. Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Stuck on preparing to configure screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on preparing to configure screen: Been stuck on this screen now for over 20 mins. I have no idea why pc is updated and I only ask to restart the pc because of the Xbox gamepass app would not sign me in or close down....
  6. Stuck on preparing to configure screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on preparing to configure screen: Been stuck on this screen now for over 20 mins. I have no idea why pc is updated and I only ask to restart the pc because of the Xbox gamepass app would not sign me in or close down....
  7. Stuck on preparing to configure screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Preparing to configure windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preparing to configure windows: [IMG] Hello guys, i have this problem with my laptop, every time i restart the laptop gives ME this thing and i want IT to stop, IT stays like from 30 minute to 1 hour, PLS HEELP...
  9. Preparing to configure windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing to configure windows: Desktop was working perfectly. Noticed windows needed an update so installed and pressed update and restart. Its been on " preparing to configure windows, do not turn off your computer" all day. What can i do to get rid of this? Only had the pc pc desktop a day...
  10. Computer stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen

in Windows 10 News
    Computer stuck on Preparing to configure Windows screen: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If after running Windows Update, you find that your Windows 10 is stuck on the Preparing to configure Windows screen for a very long time, then this post will help you resolve the issue. There is a lot that goes [...] This post Computer stuck on Preparing to...