Windows 10: Stuck on Surface Logo after updates

Discus and support Stuck on Surface Logo after updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi In the company I work for we have several Surface Pros. They all have Windows 10 and very similar spec. We use Bitlocker on them all. Reasonably... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brian Mulvany, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Stuck on Surface Logo after updates

Hi

In the company I work for we have several Surface Pros. They all have Windows 10 and very similar spec. We use Bitlocker on them all. Reasonably frequently on any one of these Surface Pros after windows updates have been installed and the system reboots it will not reboot successfully into Windows.

After we choose to update and restart (or update and shut down) the following is what happens

Bitlocker screen appears - We enter code and thats fine

Then we get the Surface Logo screen and it doesnt get past this screen. It just stays with the Surface Logo and a spinning icon forever.

To get past this I have to turn the Surface off an on 3 times and then go through the advanced options screens and either choose system restore or safe mode and let it undo changes and then restart the Surface and everything is fine. However this is very time consuming as it happens multiple times and for end users it is very frustrating as they might be reliant on me or somebody else to talk them through it.

This doesnt happen with any specifc update or on any specfic build of Windows. This can also happen with no peripherals plugged in. Also as soon as I restore Windows and get logged in I can just do the updates again and it will restart no problem. The Surface Pros are not losing power during the update process. Any one device can have no errors during updates today and the next few times and then suddenly it will happen again in a few months time. The opposite can be the case with any other Surface Pro.

I am really not sure what is causing this. Maybe it is something to do with Bitlocker but I need this to be on permanently. If there was a way of automatically disabling this during reboots for windows updates only this might help.I have tried remporarily disabling it a few times on different laptops just before rebooting for updates and the laptops had no issues. However this might just be coincidence as these laptops might have rebooted fine on these occasions anyway.

If anybody here has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Brian

:)

Brian Mulvany, Oct 9, 2019

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Surface Pro (5th Gen) stuck on Surface logo at boot

Still no luck.

From the linked instructions:

Configure your Surface to start from a USB device

Once your USB drive is set up as a bootable drive with an appropriate operating system on it, you’ll need to set up your Surface to boot from this drive. This requires you to make changes in the UEFI so that the USB drive is the first option:

• Shut down your Surface.
    • Once Surface has turned off, press and hold the volume-up button.
    • With the volume-up button held down, press and release the power button.
    • Continue holding the volume-up button until the Surface or Windows logo no longer appears on the screen.
    • You should now see the Surface UEFI .
    • At this step, after a few seconds the Surface logo appears again. The same thing happens if I try with the USB stick inserted and use the volume down button. It
      looks like the tablet is not fully shutting down, rather going into sleep mode. Holding the power button down for over 30 seconds seems to make no difference.

RogerChevis, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Stuck on Surface Logo after updates

Installation Hangs at Blue Windows Logo, Error Code C1900101-20017

The BIOS update suggestion posted above by @Jegler helped me, @guhanath. I was on version 1.10 and updated to 1.90. The steps I took after that were just doing the official Windows 10 upgrade procedure.

Then the Windows 10 installation went without a hitch, and I'm no longer on Windows 7. I'm going to consider this solved, thank you @Jelger for the suggestion to update the BIOS!

KingDecimator, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Stuck on Surface Logo after updates

1. Stuck on Surface Logo after updates - Similar Threads - Stuck Surface Logo

2. Surface Pro 9 stuck on logo after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 9 stuck on logo after update: Month back got my Surface Pro 9 on bestbuy. Recently my tablet received latest update and stuck on the boot logo. At first I tried to reboot but end up in MS Logo plus spinning cursor, after 3 hours of waiting I force it to reboot by holding power button. This cause Logo at...
  3. Surface Pro 9 stuck on logo after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 9 stuck on logo after update: Month back got my Surface Pro 9 on bestbuy. Recently my tablet received latest update and stuck on the boot logo. At first I tried to reboot but end up in MS Logo plus spinning cursor, after 3 hours of waiting I force it to reboot by holding power button. This cause Logo at...
  4. MS UPDATE STUCK ON BLUE LOGO

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MS UPDATE STUCK ON BLUE LOGO: Hi, So i updated my windows to latest update and my laptop restarted and stuck on the windows logo with no loading whatsoever. Please help what should i do?...
  5. Stuck at boot logo after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at boot logo after 2004 update: Hi. I have a MSI GS65 8se i7 8750h, rtx 2060, 512gb+1tb ssds, 24gb ram. I applied the windows 2004 update just this morning, run a quick scan of defender afterwards, then rebooted. I cannot get past the boot logo of my laptop anymore after. Here are a few things ive done:...
  6. Windows screen stuck on no logo after I restarted for update

Windows screen stuck on no logo after I restarted for update: After the computer said my device was not up to date with updates i clicked update and it restarted my computer. After it restarted and finished downloading the update, it went onto the hp screen for a long time and it is still on it. My keyboard is also not working right now...
  7. Surface Pro Stuck on Windows Logo screen

Surface Pro Stuck on Windows Logo screen: Recently when I was using my Surface Pro 4, the screen suddenly crashed. I could still move my cursor, but could not access any apps, close apps, etc. This is when I forced shut down my laptop by using the 30 seconds button trick, which usually worked. This time, when I tried...
  8. Surface Pro (5th Gen) stuck on Surface logo at boot

Surface Pro (5th Gen) stuck on Surface logo at boot: Hi All, My Surface Pro is stuck at the Surface logo when booting. This happened after the latest Windows update and appears to be a driver issue. After about 15 - 20 seconds it reboots back to the logo and repeats until the battery dies. I've tried recovery with the...
  9. Windows10 Stuck at Logo after update (1809/ KB2267602)

Windows10 Stuck at Logo after update (1809/ KB2267602): My windows 10 just won't update the 'Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602(Version 1.299.1397.0)', shows Error. Also, it will download version 1809 and ask for reboot. But after rebooting, the Windows will freeze up at the logo with no...
  10. Surface Pro - Stuck on Windows Logo and Spinning White Circle

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro - Stuck on Windows Logo and Spinning White Circle: Hi, I've got a Surface Pro, which is stuck at the Windows logo and has a spinning white circle. I thought it was doing up-dates, but its been doing this for the past 12 hours. Not matter what i do, it just goes back to the same screen. Anyone have any ideas?...