Windows 10: Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

Discus and support Stuck shift key, enter is disabled in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Trying to quickly enter "?" into a program using <shift+/><enter><enter> Works for about 10 lines, then the enter key is disabled and the shift key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by clinteverage, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

Trying to quickly enter "?" into a program using <shift+/><enter><enter>

Works for about 10 lines, then the enter key is disabled and the shift key is locked. Sticky keys have been disabled in control panel. The only way I've found to fix is to restart the laptop. Is there anything else I can try?

:)

clinteverage, Jun 11, 2020
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Right Shift key for in Remote Desktop client for Android gets stuck

I'm using RD client-android version with bluetooth keyboard.

with G-board keyboard app.

and using Korean keyboard Input on windows 10 home.

there's right shift key stuck problem(it has been a long time ago. many users claim it). left shift key is fine.

reproduce: ('Use scancode input when available' option enabled at android RD client)

Rt.shift [down] -> 'B' key [down] -> Rt.shift [up] -> 'B' key [up]

->then, shift key stuck

* 'B' key is just a example. every letter can reproduce it.

At stuck state If I stoke Lt.shift key, then stuck solved.

If I disable 'Use scancode input when available' option, stuck problem doesn't happened.

but If I disable it, I can't use Korean Input on windows.

I tried several bluetooth keyboards and keyboard apps(android). but every combination It stuck.

fix the notorious Shift key stuck problem please!!

***Modified title from: RD client(android) right shift key stuck***

KwonOhChul_1, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

shift key acting like it's stuck, ctrl and num keys don't work

Hi janieneh,

There's a possibility that the keyboard issue that you're experiencing may be due to having an outdated driver or could be a software conflict. However, there's also a chance that sticky keys may have been enabled on your laptop. Before we try to troubleshoot
    the software side, please try the following workarounds and see if one on the list addresses the problem:

• Turning off Sticky Keys.
      • If this feature is turned on, then have it turned off. Just navigate to
        Settings > Ease of access > Keyboard > Sticky Keys
        , then toggle it
        Off
    • Holding down both Shift keys.
      • Press and hold down both Shift keys at the same time for 4 to 5 seconds.
    • Perform full shutdown
      • To perform a full shutdown, click the Windows key > Power Icon > Shutdown. Once computer is off, press the power button to boot it up.
    Please let me know if the issue persists after performing the steps above by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

1. Stuck shift key, enter is disabled - Similar Threads - Stuck shift key

2. Shift key stuck on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key stuck on: Had my laptop for a few years and never had any problems until now. Shift key turns itself on and I can only turn it off by restarting the laptop. Is there a quick fix for this? Fairly certain it’s not sticky keys...
  3. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  4. Enter key behaves like shift+enter

Enter key behaves like shift+enter: When doing anything, like typing in Word or typing into the Google search bar, my Enter key doesn't do what it normally would do, like creating a new paragraph in Word or searching in Google. Instead, it acts like shift+enter. This also happens with the on-screen keyboard....
  5. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  6. Shift key stuck.

Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  7. Enter Key is registering as a SHIFT KEY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter Key is registering as a SHIFT KEY: I have read through hours of threads and watched hours of YouTube to no avail. One day my enter key simply stopped registering as an enter key on my Samsung Galaxy Alpha Flex laptop running windows 10. I have not done the Windows 11 upgrade yet out of preference. I originally...
  8. Enter Key is registering as a SHIFT KEY

Enter Key is registering as a SHIFT KEY: I have read through hours of threads and watched hours of YouTube to no avail. One day my enter key simply stopped registering as an enter key on my Samsung Galaxy Alpha Flex laptop running windows 10. I have not done the Windows 11 upgrade yet out of preference. I originally...
  9. Enter Key is registering as a SHIFT KEY

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Shift button stuck but sticky keys disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Shift button stuck but sticky keys disabled: Hello, I have a weird problem where the shift is sort of "stucked" and I have to click it once to release it. Changed keyboard - didn't help, checked if sticky keys are on (not) What else could cause this? Thanks 175108