Windows 10: Stuck without a UEFI image

Discus and support Stuck without a UEFI image in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all - I need some suggestions and maybe even some help from an issue I put myself in! I recently purchased a new laptop for my music production. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GriffonTheCat, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

1. Stuck without a UEFI image

Hi all - I need some suggestions and maybe even some help from an issue I put myself in!

I recently purchased a new laptop for my music production. I have a few years of data on my old desktop’s hard drive. I wanted to make an exact image of that drive and boot it from my new laptop.

Here’s where I went wrong - I overwrote the new laptop’s OS by cloning the old drive onto the new drive and now the laptop will not boot. The drive is not even being shown as an option in the boot menu.

My understanding of the situation is that the issue happened because the old desktop boots from a legacy BIOS while the new laptop is only UEFI compatible. To my knowledge, there is not a legacy boot option on the laptop.

I’m not sure if my desktop’s board has a UEFI boot option but, if it does, I’m hesitant to try using it in case it gives me any more issues. I’m not sure how I’d go on if I had 2 dead PC’s on my hands.

So here’s what I’d mainly like to know here:

• Is there a way that I can get a fresh UEFI image of windows 10 to boot from? Even though it wouldn’t have all of my data, at least I would have a working laptop.

• Does anyone have any other ideas for options that I could try for this to work?

Any info would be extremely helpful. I’ve been working on this for a few weeks now and it’s been an extremely disheartening process

submitted by /u/GriffonTheCat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GriffonTheCat, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:32 PM
  2. Brink Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Stuck without a UEFI image

Windows Spotlight image stuck

Hi Robin,

Windows Spotlight frequently changes the photos using
    Bing
    to provide an image-of-the-day giving everyone a fresher look every time they access their computers. This feature is dependent on the Internet connection and without it, you won’t be able to get yourself that special nature scenery.

Furthermore, we suggest following the steps below to resolve the issue:

• Right-click on the Start Menu.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the following commands (Wait for the process to finish before proceeding to the next steps.):
      • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, click Enter.
      • Sfc /scannow, click Enter.
      • Powershell, click Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
        then click Enter.
      • Restart the computer after the process.
    Don't hesitate to inform us on how it goes.

Thema:

Stuck without a UEFI image

1. Stuck without a UEFI image - Similar Threads - Stuck without UEFI

2. Creating an image without bloatware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating an image without bloatware: I've been tasked to create an image to be deployed on multiple PCs. We've got new Lenovo think pads which I run the oobe like I'm setting up a new device, installing the correct software (ms office etc), running a script to remove the MS bloatware, changing backgrounds etc....
  3. Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off: I was reading on BIOS stuff cause my PC always boots to the wrong screen and a suggestion to turn CSM off fixed that but introduced a UEFI loop (every time it closes, it opens again instead of booting the system). I turned CSM back on in order to be able to boot but does...
  4. Stuck on UEFI BIOS Utility

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on UEFI BIOS Utility: Hi all - I have a Windows 10 PC running an ASUS Sabertooth X-99 motherboard. I left it exporting a large video file from Adobe Premiere Pro for a few days; when I got back, it was stuck on the UEFI BIOS Utility motherboard screen. I tried turning it off and on a few times, to...
  5. Getting into BIOS without having UEFI capabilities

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting into BIOS without having UEFI capabilities: I am very new to just PC’s, let alone knowing things regarding software. I have recently realised that after a 3D mark run, my CPU’s boost clock was the same as the base clock (well actually slightly less for some reason at 2.78GHz and my base clock was 2.8GHz. But I found...
  6. Change Boot graphic on machine without UEFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot graphic on machine without UEFI: I have a Toshiba L755-S5368 Laptop that has no secure boot anywhere in the bios. My Laptop is about 4 years old , I am trying to change the boot graphic in my machine. Can I do this ? If so, How? John 29603
  7. VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium: I have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup from my tablet which is uses a 32bit uefi format installation. I tried to open it in viboot but it refused to open it, and got in a loading failed loop. Installs done with 64bit uefi work fine. I checked the image and it is...
  8. System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image restore failed, BIOS/UEFI: I'm trying to restore my system to its previous state with a system image that I created in Windows 10. The system image is on an external hard drive. When I boot into my Windows installation flash drive, which I used to install the operating system, I get an error. It says,...
  9. Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.: Hi, After resetting UEFI to default values, I can't start WIndows because boot goes to UEFI. The story is this: I wanted to make a clean install of W10 and for that I had to make some changes in UEFI because it wouldn't allow me otherwise. But after the installation...
  10. Stuck on background image without login-unable to reboot or power off

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck on background image without login-unable to reboot or power off: I have an HP Pavillion 2.0 hybrid which is currently stuck on a stock image that should appear behind the login prompt. However, no login prompt appears, and there is no shut down/re-start button visible. Holding down the power button on the side of the machine causes the...