Windows 10: Study shows 5 out of 6 routers inadequately updated for security flaws

Discus and support Study shows 5 out of 6 routers inadequately updated for security flaws in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A new study by a US consumer nonprofit has found that five out of six home routers are inadequately updated for security flaws, leaving the devices,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Study shows 5 out of 6 routers inadequately updated for security flaws

Read more:

:)

Brink, Oct 2, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

FTC files lawsuit against D-Link for router and camera security flaws

Read more: FTC files lawsuit against D-Link for router and camera security flaws | ZDNet

Brink, Oct 2, 2018
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 2, 2018
  4. silkstone Win User

Router behind a router = more secure?

Thanks.

So it is more secure from both exploits and brute force to have router > Router > Computers. An attacker would have to find exploits in both routers before gaining access to a network?

I'm not that worried, I just wanted to know the theory as I seem to get conflicting information. I had always assumed that having a router behind a router would be better security-wise.

I am pretty sure that my router would be on the list of those compromised in Vietnam by malware. The malware only changed the primary DNS for the router, so I would still not be immune to this kind of attack if someone gained access to my internet facing router, but it got me thinking more about security.

silkstone, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Study shows 5 out of 6 routers inadequately updated for security flaws - Similar Threads - Study shows routers

2. New Microsoft Security Signals study shows firmware attacks on rise

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Security Signals study shows firmware attacks on rise: Cybersecurity threats are always evolving, and today we’re seeing a new wave of advanced attacks targeting areas of computing that don’t have the protection of the cloud. New data shows that firmware attacks are on the rise, and businesses...
  3. Sleep Study not showing % of battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Study not showing % of battery: Hello! Does anybody know why the powercfg sleep study does not display any of the % of battery? Here's how it looks like: [ATTACH] The report was generated with powercfg /SleepStudy /output "C:\sleep_report.html". I'm running a brand-new ThinkPad T14s / AMD Ryzen 7 and I...
  4. Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5): Hello, I have an older PC that only supports 802.11n WiFi which doesn't allow me to connect to my router 5.0ghz band using Windows 10. If I buy a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) adapter, will it work in Windows 10 with WiFi 5 routers (5.0ghz band) or do they only work with new Wifi 6...
  5. Zoom flaw and security

in Windows 10 Customization
    Zoom flaw and security: Using Zoom, I wanted to protect my computer and verify my local security policy; but I don't have it. Is it because I use a Home version? How can I protect my computer from the flaw they talked about from Zoom? Thank you!...
  6. Windows 10 security flaw?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 security flaw?: There are a whole ton of weird articles saying the NSA informed microsoft about a serious security flaw in windows 10 that I don't particularly think it's true. I would like conformation on whether or not it's true Thanks in advance...
  7. Windows 10 security flaws

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 security flaws: Hi, This is Agnivesh This is a major security flaw with Microsoft windows 10 pro . I had actually forgotten my windows account password.I wanted to crack and make a new account on my laptop.I had tried a bunch of ways to crack the OS but none was proved...
  8. Windows 10 security flaw

Windows 10 security flaw: My brother sometimes uses my computer and I once deleted his account cause I thought he wouldn't need it, but he once wanted to use it and he didn't know my password and he created an account on his own. I do know that he has a flash drive that can bypass the password or...
  9. Unfixable security flaw in Secure Boot ??

Unfixable security flaw in Secure Boot ??: This guy writes about security issues. Windows Secure Boot: Insecure by design and mostly likely cant be fixed | Network World 59744
  10. FTC files lawsuit against D-Link for router and camera security flaws

in Windows 10 News
    FTC files lawsuit against D-Link for router and camera security flaws: The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has filed a lawsuit against D-Link, claiming the company put thousands of customers at risk of unauthorised access by failing to secure its IP cameras and routers, after security vulnerabilities were discovered last year....