Windows 10: Stumped - need to add 2nd HDD to a XP VirtualBox VM

Discus and support Stumped - need to add 2nd HDD to a XP VirtualBox VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I need to create a XP VM to run some old cash register program. I have a Macrium backup of the XP hdd which is about 30GB. I've tried multipls ways to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Ztruker, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Ztruker Win User

Stumped - need to add 2nd HDD to a XP VirtualBox VM

I need to create a XP VM to run some old cash register program. I have a Macrium backup of the XP hdd which is about 30GB. I've tried multipls ways to make this mrimg file available to the VM so I can run macrium to restore to new hardware but I can't get Virtualbox to make it work. My last attempt was to use a 250GB HDD attached as a 2nd internal HDD. First I created a VDMK file using Code: VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "c:\Users\Owner\Virtualbox VMs\XP System\Drive2.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 I then created the XP VM under Oracle VB and tried to create a 2nd HDD on the AHCI drive controller but it always gets VERR_ACCESS_DENIED. I get this even if I take ownership of the file. Looking further in the error message I see Code: Permission problems accessing the file for the medium c:\Users\Owner\Virtualbox VMs\XP System\Drive2.vmdk VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0X80BB0001). I've also tried using a 32GB flash drive but I couldn't get the XP VM to see it. Any suggestions welcome. Note I can't use HyperV as it doesn't handle XP.

:)

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2021
  2. Ztruker Win User

I need to create a XP VM to run some old cash register program. I have a Macrium backup of the XP hdd which is about 30GB. I've tried multipls ways to make this mrimg file available to the VM so I can run macrium to restore to new hardware but I can't get Virtualbox to make it work.

My last attempt was to use a 250GB HDD attached as a 2nd internal HDD.
    First I created a VDMK file using

Code:
    I then created the XP VM under Oracle VB and tried to create a 2nd HDD on the AHCI drive controller but it always gets VERR_ACCESS_DENIED. I get this even if I take ownership of the file. Looking further in the error message I see

Code:
    I've also tried using a 32GB flash drive but I couldn't get the XP VM to see it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Note I can't use HyperV as it doesn't handle XP.

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2021
  3. Bree Win User

Not sure why you say that. I have created XP VMs in Hyper-V twice now, once by booting the VM from an ISO of the XP install disk, the second by restoring a Macrium Reflect image of a dead XP machine's HDD to an empty Hyper-V VM.

For the second one, I had installed software on an old XP laptop that I wanted to keep but the only part of the laptop that was still working was its (IDE) hard drive. I put the HDD in an expansion adapter and took a Macrium Reflect image of it, then booted a Hyper-V VM from a Macrium recovery ISO. In order that Macrium could find and restore the image I created a vhd disk, mounted it, then copied the .mrimg file to it. I then attached it as a second drive for the VM.

My purpose was to upgrade it from XP to Windows 10 keeping files and apps, which you can do, but in stages. First XP > Vista, then Vista to W7, and finally W7 to W10.

4. Hopachi Win User

I've had similar issues in the past.
    It might sound like a bold move but it does the trick: make an ISO image containing the Macrium Reflect image.

Place the .mrimg in a folder, add the folder to Folder2Iso to create an ISO of it.
    Then simple use that large ISO in the VM.
    You will need a second virtual DVD drive for the second iso (backup image) asuming the first one boots Macrium Reflect cd/iso.

Note:
    This works on all hypervisor platforms, since it's using iso disk image. This is available during boot.

But on VirtualBox: why not use a share folder and place the .mrimg there... assuming you have the guest additions up and running in XP guest. Your second HDD can act as a shared folder, be it temporary for the needed image.
    EDIT => my bad, in order to restore it entirely, we boot from Macrium so there are no additions for shared folder requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does.

I've used XP a couple of times in Hyper-V, on Win10.
    You can even install some additions / integrated services (applies to XP SP3) using the older integration iso from 2008 or 2012... but XP is pretty functional as is.

Hopachi, Aug 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Stumped - need to add 2nd HDD to a XP VirtualBox VM - Similar Threads - Stumped need add

2. Activation of Windows XP on VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  3. Activation of Windows XP on VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  4. XP VM nternet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM nternet access: i have my Wn10 machine running Hyper-V and i've started my xp VM machine but cannot get the NIC drivers or anything else running in it to make it useable. can someone please help? This is my first attempt at setting up a VM....
  5. Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?: Hello, I have a licensed copy of windows 8.1 that I installed as a vmware virtual machine and performed a free upgrade to windows 10. Been working fine until I had a problem that requires moving to Virtualbox. The VM works fine under Virtualbox now but says I need to...
  6. i need to uninstall VM Oracle Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need to uninstall VM Oracle Virtualbox: hi, a week ago when my windows 10 update arrived it showed that i need to uninstall VM Oracle VirtualBox because the windows version doesn't the app. i can't find it anywere, not in control panel and redegit....
  7. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  8. installing vm VirtualBox extension pack

in Windows 10 Customization
    installing vm VirtualBox extension pack: I am trying to download a vm VirtualBox extension pack from VirtualBox site, but when it is downloaded it cannot be installed. when I ope it through an error message says: " this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app...
  9. Orcle VM VirtualBox suddenly not working.

Orcle VM VirtualBox suddenly not working.: I have been using this Oracle software since W7, after moving to W10 (home edition) two years ago, everything was working fine. Then I put it aside for a while but now that I want to use it again I receive the error E_FAIL (80004005) Component MachineWrap. I thought it was...
  10. New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help

New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help: I stuck a new HDD into PC and is currently set as 2nd HDD. It is blank and new. What I want to do is install windows 10 on this drive , and set it to the main boot. The problem I am having is what is my best option. Do I do a windows 7 install on new HDD from DVD? or...