Windows 10: Stupid Question Regarding Redundant Windows 10 Licenses

Discus and support Stupid Question Regarding Redundant Windows 10 Licenses in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello All, My question is probably very stupid but I will pose it anyway. My current PC is a home built PC that I made in Feb. 2015. At the time that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rocky, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Rocky Win User

Stupid Question Regarding Redundant Windows 10 Licenses

Hello All,
    My question is probably very stupid but I will pose it anyway. My current PC is a home built PC that I made in Feb. 2015. At the time that I made my computer I purchased a copy of Windows 8 (not 8.1) Home Edition, which I immediately upgraded to 8.1 and then to Windows 10 preview. (I was on Windows 10 Preview before the end of Feb. 2015.)

About 2 months ago (April, 2016) I decided that I really wanted Windows 10 Pro (for no particular reason) so I purchased a whole new license for Windows 10 Pro. Because my computer was already activated for Windows 10, I had to call Microsoft and they had to assist me in installing the new copy of Windows on my PC.

Short story made long, what happened to my previous license? Is it still good and can I transfer it to a different PC? I am now using my new license for Windows 10 Pro but did I lose the right to use the original license for Windows 8?

Any opinions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bennett

:)

Rocky, Jun 23, 2016
  2. dbarselow Win User

Windows 10 and Licenses

Hi I have a question regarding licenses when installing Windows 10. When a person installs windows 10 does it kill the license of the previous installation of windows 7,8,8.1.

dbarselow, Jun 23, 2016
  3. makmadd Win User
    Regarding volume licenses vanish after win 10 upgrade

Hello All experts,

1) I have 20 volume licenses of Win7 Pro. I upgraded 5 of them to Win 10 and then downgraded to Win 7. Should I be able to use the Win 7 licenses of these 5 machines on other hardware if existing installed hardware crashes for any reason (In this case we
    have volume license for Win 7 and only want to install win7 not win10)?

2) In above case if you believe that I can not use above mentioned 5 licenses, are my other remaining 15 licenses valid for any other hardware with same key? (Note: We have only 1 key for our all 20 licenses.) for example - Leave aside the above 5 machines
    that have win10 now. Rest of them have win 7 i.e the 15 PCs that are never upgraded to Win 10. Suppose one of these 15 machines hardware goes down, can I put new hardware for that and can I install win 7 using the same key on the new machine? Will it be
    activated?

3) Please go through this article < http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/ > . I thought it would be beneficial to upgrade and then downgrade. But I believe in contrary if once upgraded
    to Win we can never use Win 7 volume license. Is that correct?

4) I have not found any information and any awareness what will happen about win7 volume licenses after win10 up gradation from win7 volume licenses on any Microsoft website? Is this mean that this win 10 is vanishes win7 volume licenses for big increasing
    the Microsoft business?

If above all licenses are vanish after upgrade win10on 5 PCS only what can I do to reinitialize all win7 volume license without pay money?

Regards,

Mak

==============================================================

Please refer below communication

Hello all experts ,

I have windows 7 professional volume licenses. now I got below link about windows 10 up gradation

http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/

I have one question regarding this windows 10 up gradation. I have 20 volume licenses now I can install these licenses to any hardware if suppose my exiting hardware goes crash . As per above artical link after win10 up gradation it has made digitally entitlement
    entry to Microsoft server for future installation on same hardware . so we could install windows10 in future on same hardware not on any other hardware. Now my question is I have volume licenses for win7 pro suppose I have installed these 20 licenses on 20
    hardware PCs upgrade to windows10 for future windows10 installation and I got digital entitlement for all 20 PCs . And after that I again reinstall all these windows10 to windows 7 pro [note: My view is only for future windows 10 which is free those upgrade
    before 29july with digital entitlement right now I want only use windows 7].

In above case my hardware means 20 PCs are having digital entitlement means these all PCs are OEM for windows10 . Now what about my windows 7 pro volume licenses remains? means could I still used these 20 volume licenses on any hardware if suppose my exiting
    hardware is got crash {note :- It obvious that I cannot used these both windows10 and windows7 on forty PCs. I have installed win 10 only for digitally entitlement for these 20 hardware PCs now I am using win7 only no win10 at all}

Or is that windows7 volume licenses are vanished after I upgrade these hardware to win10 and reinstalling win7?

My question is what is status of windows7 volume licenses after windows 10 up gradation and reinstall win7pro ?

Is it still valid for nay PCs hardware or it would become OEM licenses after upgrading win10?

======

Hi,

In response to your query, please be informed that the volume licenses are injected in the motherboard once you install it therefore, after upgrading to Windows 10, it will be linked to Windows 10, which means you will not be able to use the Windows 7 license
    key in any other hardware since you have already used that key to upgrade to Windows 10.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

===========================================================

THanks and regards

Jay

makmadd, Jun 23, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Did you buy the Pro upgrade? Or did you buy a full retail copy of pro?

Mystere, Jun 23, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    It's my experience that if the Win8 was a Retail version [have the disc] and only installed the one time it can be installed on a REPLACEMENT computer. You'd have to go through the same steps as originally done, update to Win8.1 then go for the free Upgrade for Win10. But it has to be done soon, before July 28 or 29 to get it free, 1 year after the full release of Win10 in late July 2015. Upgrading to the Technical Preview [or now called Insider Preview] tied it to the computer which is why you needed a new license.

Berton, Jun 23, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    I purchased a full retail copy of Windows 10 Pro, that is why I had to have Microsoft help me to activate it.

Rocky, Jun 23, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Well, if your old license was a retail copy (not OEM) then you can indeed transfer it to another computer. Your Windows 10 license is stand-alone, so it does not apply to the old license.

Mystere, Jun 23, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Why did MS have to help with retail Win 10? They should have told you there was no need to install Win 10 retail on that PC - it already had Win 8 and therefore digital entitlement

Your original Win 8 licence remains good.

Edit: Ooops. my bad - I note it was Home to Pro upgrade...either way changing the key would upgrade it.

Superfly, Jun 23, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    To use old 8 licence on a another pc, all you need to do is clean install windows 10 home and activate using 8 key. No need to install 8, get all updates, upgrade to 8.1 and then on to 10 i.e. 3 installs in effect.

Sometimes it complains old key is in use, so you need to install 8 on new pc, and telephone activate it. Several ways you can install without having to reinstall 10 e.g.

1) create dual boot pc (virtual hard drive is a good way)

2) use a spare hard drive, temporarily removing windows 10 hard drive

3) install on external usb drive using UEFI boot manager, Windows To Go Creator, All-in-One Microsoft Windows Setup software - The EasyUEFI Development Team

Then once activated, you can use 8 key on the windows 10 install.

cereberus, Jun 24, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    If you had 10 home, then you go to activation menu, click on "go to store", and under buy 10 pro button, you click on link "I have a 10 pro key", and enter your key to upgrade to PRO. No need to call MS.

cereberus, Jun 24, 2016
  11. Rocky Win User
    I tried that but it did not work because I purchased a full retail copy of Windows 10 Pro, not an upgrade. Even with Microsoft's assistance, it still took a clean install and three Microsoft employees to figure it out. By the end I was on a party line with several people from 2 different countries and 3 different departments.

Rocky, Jun 24, 2016
  12. Home built machine + Win8 purchased + Win10 Purchased

Both Windows licenses are separate and valid FPP licenses, as far a I can tell from your description.

Slartybart, Jun 24, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

No way!?... Wow for real?
    Win 10 recognizes the key as an upgrade... kinda automates the anytime upgrade we had before.

Superfly, Jun 24, 2016
  14. Rocky Win User
    I wished it was that easy. It was a big hassle and took many heads to figure out. That part is all good now but I still don't know what to do with this stupid Windows 8 license.

Rocky, Jun 24, 2016
  15. Superfly Win User
    Your Win 8 licence is all good... I have a bunch of Technet Win 7 and Win 8 in the closet...those were good OS' tho...
    So, the question is what does Win 10 bring to the party?

Superfly, Jun 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Stupid Question Regarding Redundant Windows 10 Licenses - Similar Threads - Stupid Question Regarding

2. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  3. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  4. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stupid question

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stupid question: I just bought a new laptop, and I want to change the lock screen to a picture from a file. I did everything you're supposed to do, but I can't find an 'ok' button, or 'save changes' button, or whatever. How do I get my changes to stick?...
  6. Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning: Hi folks, I upgraded an 11-year old laptop to a new SSD just before Christmas and used the Win 7 key to activate the clean install of Win 10. I'm putting in a bigger SSD and going to use Macrium Reflect to copy the Win 10 machine (so that all M$ Office and all of the other...
  7. Question regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding windows 10: I am running an hp PC with windows 10 running in it And facing some issues I wan't to do a system restore But the problem is that if I do it then I will get back to windows 8 as it was my original os and I upgraded it to windows 10 during free update period ... So the...
  8. Questions regarding license key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Questions regarding license key: Hi, I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometime back. This was during the time the free upgrade was still available. After some time Windows 10 crashed and so I had to format and install Windows 7 again. Now I bought a license key for Windows 10 pro yesterday and...
  9. question regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    question regarding windows 10: Is there any App (preferably free) that will work with Windows 10 that can create photo collages.?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-regarding-windows-10/6413a3cf-7b66-4c46-9ae8-4fcae635c385
  10. Windows stupid... have questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows stupid... have questions: I rarely use Windows, but need it sometimes to help my children with their computer problems/needs. I have an HP dm4-3050us laptop that came with windows 7 Home. I have done the upgrade to Windows 10 and everything is working all right. The computer is dual booted with Linux...