Windows 10: Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application

Discus and support Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Look, this is a rather simple problem that did not exist in earlier Windows platforms. Wanna "create" a new filetype with a customized extension, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gremlinkurst, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application

Look, this is a rather simple problem that did not exist in earlier Windows platforms. Wanna "create" a new filetype with a customized extension, and specify default opening application? With Windows 10, there's a HUGE roadblock: "Open with> Use Standard Windows Service" yields utter CRAP. You can open the file with your preferred application, but there is a STUPIDLY missing "always open with" checkbox. Slack-jawed sheep-farkers.

It's a plain-text document, fer chryssake. My default encoding is UTF-8 due to my being multilingual, and "non-standard" characters get converted to pustulent rubbish when I use ANSI (and there are SO many idiots on the net that use ANSI for Unicode-only data!).

How do I get Windows to open a plain-text UTF-8 document with file extension LYR (song lyrics) using Notepad as the default application? Windows 3.1 through Windows 7? No problem. Windows 10? HUGE problem. WTFF?

I have no problem using RegEdit, but I lack the specific knowledge required to accomplish the desired task, to force Windows to use Notepad to always open files with the LYR extension. Also, an authoritative answer to this question will provide assistance beyond the immediate scope of this issue; I will be able to apply the solution to any filetype.

And yes, I am aware that custom filetypes will not properly render thumbnails in folder view; they will exhibit instead the default opening application icon.

411: Currently, I have a shortcut to Notepad in my "SendTo" folder, and that works great, but I really HATE it when Microsoft hamstrings user control.

:)

gremlinkurst, Nov 30, 2017
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Nov 30, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application :)

musum, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application

Brink, Nov 30, 2017
Thema:

Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application

1. Stymied by "Open With" Limitations; Cannot Specify Default Application - Similar Threads - Stymied Open Limitations

2. DEFAULT APPLICATION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DEFAULT APPLICATION: Hi ,I have only 1 chrome and only 1 microsoft edge still it is showing this . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-application/2a6d6d5c-b761-4da1-86c3-7ec5bc1b53fe
  3. The application cannot be opened.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The application cannot be opened.: There is a problem with the feedback center,please contact your administrator, to learn about fixing or reinstalling the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-cannot-be-opened/633a3a03-6649-46ad-9d68-066959fd151e
  4. Cannot open application

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open application: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect please see application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail. What should i do?...
  5. Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Default Applications [TWINUI]: Hello, I work in IT and I have a user who cannot change the default applications in windows settings. The Computer has already been re-imaged and is still having the same problem. I spoke with the computer manufacturer and they said that I would need to speak with...
  6. Default Windows Applications not opening.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default Windows Applications not opening.: Hello guys. I was on the 1903 update from a couple of months and wanted to open Microsoft store recently. So I double click on it and it just flashes for a split second and closes. All Microsoft default apps are behaving in the same way. Calculator, calendar etc. I've tried...
  7. How to limit library to folder I specify?

in Cortana
    How to limit library to folder I specify?: This is about Libraries in Win 10 but that's not an option, so I clicked "search." I have a "Shared Music" folder in the Public Share of a NAS. Other folders also contain audio files as mp3 or wav etc. Win10 Library specifies only "Shared Music" but it finds and includes...
  8. Cannot set default applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot set default applications: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment). I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by...
  9. Cannot open applications!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open applications!: My friend is having a problem where when he powers on his HP Notebook 17-x101na laptop. When he powers it on the start screen comes on but when he presses Enter to get to the log in screen nothing happens. He presses Ctrl+Alt+Del and then he gets the log in screen. On the...
  10. Cannot open applications!

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open applications!: My friend is having a problem where when he powers on his HP Notebook 17-x101na laptop. When he powers it on the start screen comes on but when he presses Enter to get to the log in screen nothing happens. He presses Ctrl+Alt+Del and then he gets the log in screen. On the...