Windows 10: Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

Discus and support Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . . in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ScottKelley1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new.

I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work.

At this point, I've spent all week on this - I need to find someone who is truly an expert on the issues involved - am willing to pay well...

Where can I find such a person?

Scott Kelley

:)

ScottKelley1, Jan 22, 2021

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Jan 22, 2021
  3. Smittychat., Jan 22, 2021
  4. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

1. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . . - Similar Threads - Stymied moving Win10

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT: i had recently built my new pc with 4gb ram and an i3 3240 cpu and Asus p8h61 mx motherboard with windows 7. But when i converted my hard disk from MBR to GPT my computer is not booting and there is just a blinking underscore on top left corner. When my computer first came it...
  4. Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT: i had recently built my new pc with 4gb ram and an i3 3240 cpu and Asus p8h61 mx motherboard with windows 7. But when i converted my hard disk from MBR to GPT my computer is not booting and there is just a blinking underscore on top left corner. When my computer first came it...
  5. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  6. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  7. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  8. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  9. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....
  10. I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10: I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as GPT install per above? Edit: Also, does the BIOS need to be changed or does it figure it out MBR vs GPT? (I have an older...