Windows 10: Sub-standard font rendering in Windows 10?

Discus and support Sub-standard font rendering in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, Please forgive me if this subject has been discussed before and direct me to the right thread... I have tried hard to use W10 for my daily... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alijcam, Mar 9, 2016.

1. alijcam Win User

Sub-standard font rendering in Windows 10?

Hi All,
    Please forgive me if this subject has been discussed before and direct me to the right thread...

I have tried hard to use W10 for my daily desktop OS but many things force me back to W7; one of these is the general font rendering in W10. I have tried this comparison many times on different machines, GPUs, new installs of W7 & 10.
    I have posted 2 comparison views below - I hope they work OK - you will need to click on them and maybe zoom in to get to an un-scaled (or over-scaled) view to see what I'm on about. These were all taken off my dual-booting i5-4960+Radeon HD6950 setup, so the hardware is identical.
    See how the W10 version rendering is inconsistent and varies wildly in 'blackness'? This makes it unpleasant and difficult to read, especially for anyone who works with text most of the time. Note this applies to ALL native tools, applications, browsers and third party applications with any font selection and size. Is it just me? I can't believe that over the many many times I have installed W7 and 10 in the last 2 years that I have managed to get W10 set up in some fundamentally different way to W7. To me, this is SO obvious, I can instantly see that I could not use W10.

I have shown this to many techy colleagues who have a tinker with display calibration and so-on, but with no improvement, much to their surprise.

Has anyone any suggestions? For me this is one of the single largest barriers for not using W10...

Windows Explorer:

Sub-standard font rendering in Windows 10? [​IMG]

MS Word 2010:

Cheers

:)

alijcam, Mar 9, 2016
  2. rajeshs07 Win User

Font Rendering in Windows/Edge/Internet Explorer

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, the font rendering was so appalling, I had to go out and use a third party font smoothing engine. Link here:

https://code.google.com/p/gdipp/
    . This seemed to fix the rendering in a fair few programs, but not everything. And Edge and Internet Explorer seem to be two of them. I assume the two might use a different technique to render fonts. Here's a photo of how
    horrible the rendering looks on Edge:

Back to Windows in general, I believe this has something to do with the fact that Windows uses some monochromatic font smoothing technique (which I believe is better suited for high pixel density displays - around 300dpi+), whereas for standard ones, a smoothing
    system like the one Mac OS uses works better. Just wondering why Microsoft is hesitant to provide a font smoothing system that works well, for what I'd say, is the most used type of display (i.e. those with a pixel density value around that standard 96dpi).

P.S. I hope I've selected the right category/topics. If not, I'd be happy for an admin to change it to the right one.

rajeshs07, Mar 9, 2016
  3. SBoothy Win User
    looking for a n8 ebook reader

HI

With reference to ereader pro and font types you can copy TTF fonts from PC if you create a sub folder called `fonts`within the `resource`folder in mass memory (E) - you will have to use mass memory mode to see resource folder and copy fonts when connected
    to computer and reboot device before selection of fonts is visible in ereader pro.Unfortunately ereader pro does not render the line spacing\height particularly very well and therefore the height set is usually too big or to small relative to the size of the
    font.This is something the viewer not the file controls and therefore cannot be adjusted in the likes of Calibre. The quality of font render lets ereader pro down a little compared to Albite or Dorian.

I know its already been mentioned in thread but I have also found Albite pretty good (java based)for epub reading - there is quite a lot of page interaction settings - quick load and the rendered fonts are good - would also like instant page turn and a little
    more font size control (you can size by zooming %)

Boothy

SBoothy, Mar 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you search this forum for 'blurry' using the search box above you will find several threads related to the way text is displayed.

Perhaps one of those will help you. I can't say if they describe precisely the symptom you're experiencing - lots of pages.

Good luck!

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Sub-standard font rendering in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Sub standard font

2. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.: Hi Team,Our website is using Arial font as a primary font to render content and recentlyfor around 1 month, we got a lot of user's reports that mentioned the font rendering wired. we found a lot of similar issues on Excel onlineExcel Online text showing as symbols instead of...
  3. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.: Hi Team,Our website is using Arial font as a primary font to render content and recentlyfor around 1 month, we got a lot of user's reports that mentioned the font rendering wired. we found a lot of similar issues on Excel onlineExcel Online text showing as symbols instead of...
  4. Arial font rendering issue on the browsers of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Font rendering...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Font rendering...: Hey all. I spend the day working on my retina MacBook Pro after quite some time away working on Windows. My XPS has a 4k display and the fonts look horrendous. I mean, they are so thin and they truly disappear as they lack definition. I tried something called MacType which...
  6. Windows 10 UWP apps have bad font rendering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 UWP apps have bad font rendering: [ATTACH] I'm using Windows 10 Home Insider Preview (Fast), I see all UWP apps (include Photos, Setting,...) have bad font rendering, but I not sure it is Windows problem or my laptop problem Setting (bad font rendering) Photo (bad font rendering) File Explorer...
  7. Google Chrome with Font Rendering Enhancer

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome with Font Rendering Enhancer: Hi! I was using both Edge w/Chrome (where i have this extension as well) and Firefox...I've mentioned (and others agree) that Firefox's web page rendering is much better than Chrome's...Once the Google Chrome extension called "Font Rendering Enhancer" is added..What a...
  8. Windows 10 default font, total fonts (with sub-fonts example segoe ui italic, bold, etc)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 default font, total fonts (with sub-fonts example segoe ui italic, bold, etc): Hi i want to know the default system font of windows 10 how many fonts by total how many fonts with sub fonts example: segoe ui, segoe ui italic, segoe bold, segoe ui .......
  9. Firefox has terrible font rendering

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox has terrible font rendering: Hi. I'm using Firefox 43 (just upgraded from 42) and the fonts are terrible. Already disabled hardware acceleration, Direct2D (as suggested here)and nothing helps. [img] 34081
  10. Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 7 font rendering better than WIndows 10?: Hi everyone, First post here. I installed Windows 10 last week but just now I returned to Windows 7. There are some things I don't feel comfortable about Windows 10 just yet. (regarding privacy and compatibility). I'll give it some time until it 'mature' a little. Now...