Windows 10: Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell

Discus and support Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To paraphrase Destin Sandlin, "Smarter Almost Every Day;" just not on this day. While tidying up my backup scheme for photographs, I came across a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ShePointsIDig, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell

To paraphrase Destin Sandlin, "Smarter Almost Every Day;" just not on this day.

While tidying up my backup scheme for photographs, I came across a puzzle.

There are some subfolders in a certain folder that are clearly displayed with Windows Explorer, but that don't show up in Windows PowerShell.

Operating System is Windows10 Home 64-bit. Running on Acer Aspire TC-780 Desktop PC.

These are screenshots from Windows Explorer showing the folder "Barbara's Garden 2020" and its subfolders; also, the folder properties and advanced attributes from two of the subfolders are included. These two folders appear to have identical properties, yet "Camera Offloads" shows up in Windows PowerShell <dir> but "Echo Test 2" does not.

Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell [​IMG]

From Windows PowerShell: [[[ Is there a monospaced font in the tenforums editor??? ]]]

PS E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020> dir

Directory: E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
    ---- ------------- ------ ----
    d----- 8/3/2020 12:20 PM Critters
    d----- 12/1/2020 12:47 AM Camera Offloads

PS E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020> cd "echo test 2"
    cd : Cannot find path 'E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020\echo test 2' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + cd "echo test 2"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (E:\users\public...020\echo test 2:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

[Maybe I should capitalize the same as folder name?]

PS E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020> cd "Echo Test 2"
    cd : Cannot find path 'E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020\Echo Test 2' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + cd "Echo Test 2"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (E:\users\public...020\Echo Test 2:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

PS E:\users\public\pictures\barbara's garden 2020>

Does anyone have any explanation/fix for getting PowerShell to recogize subfolders that Windows Explorer clearly recognizes? Thanks in advance. Art

:)

ShePointsIDig, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell :p

Frick, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell

1. Subfolder appears in Windows Explorer but not in Windows PowerShell - Similar Threads - Subfolder appears Explorer

2. PowerShell appears randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PowerShell appears randomly.: PowerShell appears randomly, and it's not one window, it is' 2, and after several minutes from appearing, both of them take too much RAM. So, is that normal for this to happen or that's a problem or virus? And what happens if I uninstalled it from the computer? Is that...
  3. PowerShell appears randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell appears randomly.: PowerShell appears randomly, and it's not one window, it is' 2, and after several minutes from appearing, both of them take too much RAM. So, is that normal for this to happen or that's a problem or virus? And what happens if I uninstalled it from the computer? Is that...
  4. PowerShell appears randomly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Mail Subfolders?

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Mail Subfolders?: I am trying to use the windows mail app for the first time and under the accounts I see the inbox and more. When i click the more button it brings up all my folders but those folders cover up the emails making it hard to drag from inbox to the correct folder. Is there a way...
  6. How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders: My Windows 10 Explorer does not behave as expected. (Windows 10 Version 2004) A search in File Explorer in Windows 10 always shows files of subfolders even if I click on 'Current folders'. The German Microsoft support could not help in a long telephone call. I ran...
  7. Strange subfolder in Windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange subfolder in Windows?: Hello Have I found a strange folder called system32 I think the folder is a virus? Komischer untergeordneter Ordner in Windows?
  8. File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?

File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?: In file explorer we have several folders and subfolders set up. Some never get populated while others do. Is there a way when starting at the first folder to see contents of subfolders without having to click all of them and determine which are populated and which are empty?...
  9. File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...: I know that a particular file must be indexed correctly because I can as a test do a File Explorer search of the subfolder it is in, using an unusual name in the file's contents, and I can thereby produce that file name as a search result. So in general terms, indexing must...
  10. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...