Windows 10: Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed.

Discus and support Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; *This is a copy and paste of my post from another forum because I haven't received any help* I know it helps to give as much detail as possible with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alexander_277, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed.

*This is a copy and paste of my post from another forum because I haven't received any help*

I know it helps to give as much detail as possible with issues like this so I will try to be descriptive as possible.

I often connect my laptop up to my TV to play games or watch something from my couch. Because it's not an HDMI 2.1 supported TV, I sometimes lower the resolution slightly to increase the refresh rate to 120HZ I can't do this on it's recommended settings and to increase game performance. This has usually worked fine, except for the fact that I've had issues with HDR looking washed out, but that's on all resolutions.

In order to try to fix this HDR problem, I figured I'd try the simplest solution first, which was to use my Xbone X's HDMI cable to see if my laptop HDMI cable was damaged.

After the usual HDMI cable HDMI 2 was disconnected and the Xbox one cable was connected, Windows resized my laptop to 640x480, and it has continued to do this with both cables ever since. Sometimes I can get full screen by changing the resolution and closing the laptop screen, but it defaults me to a 30HZ refresh rate, or on some resolutions 59HZ. Before this TV would have a default of at least 60HZ at all times. If I attempt to change the refresh rate, windows changes the resolution back down to 640x480, and sometimes even changes the colour output. I've used the Nvidia control panel to see if I can override windows and set the monitor back to what it should be, but either the colour output gets changed and it changes the maximum dynamic range to limited or it simply won't show my TV's refresh rate capabilities in the control panel. It's like it just cannot process the image onto my TV any more, which I dread to think may be indicative of hardware failure I've only had the laptop for a couple of weeks!

I've tried everything I can think of, changing HDMI ports, restarting, reinstalling Nvidia Drivers, I've even very frustratingly reinstalled Windows, but to no avail. Edit: should have said reset Windows, not reinstalled, apologies.

At one point it even start to output display using my built in Intel Graphics, and this was after I reset Windows.

I should point out that the native laptop display seems fine on its own, but simply removing an HDMI cable has really seemed to mess things up with external displays.

Sorry for pictures instead of screenshots, my laptop still hasn't been set up properly again.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=15laP-8Jtd1lkinTNRuaYsAFJ1KcxiAb7

Laptop specs:
    MSI GS75 with Geforce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
    Intel Core i7 10750H @ 2.60GHz
    16 gigabytes RAM.
    1920 x 1080 240HZ laptop native display.

TV details: 4K UHD Samsung Q70R 55" with maximum refresh rate of 120Hz.

Edit: Additional notes, I connected the laptop up to a standard 60hz 1080p monitor to test that and it worked as it should have with the laptop lid closed. Also worth pointing out my TV is working fine with my Xbox, Prime, and Netflix, so very unlikely to be the fault of my TV.

Edit 2: As a test I tried using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and got the exact same problem. Very strange and frustrating.

:)

Alexander_277, Jul 20, 2020
  2. MilkyWay Win User

Where are the resolution/refresh rate settings in AMD Crimson?

Having to use Windows display settings manager to change resolution. Advanced display settings shows the resolution but to change refresh rate i have to go to display adapter properties!

It's just a longer step than it being right there one click away in CCC. Not only that but CCC is still there in Crimson if you use the advanced settings.

MilkyWay, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Laptopc can´t connect to TV

Hi,

Please reply to the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Are you connecting the PC and TV using a HDMI cable?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• First you need a video cable for making the physically connection. For better picture quality, you should connect the computer to the TV using standard VGA ports or via the DVI to HDMI cable provided your TV supports these ports.
    • Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate output to the TV screen. You can either mirror content of your computer on the TV or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.
    • Pick up your TV remote and switch to "External Inputs" from the menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the TV before turning on the computer as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

You may also need to change the screen resolution of your TV using the Display settings in your Control Panel else the picture may appear distorted.

Please revert if you face any issues with PC not connecting to TV.

Jessen P, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed.

TV resolution problem

Hi,

1920x1080 is the standard resolution for TV's in full HD.

For us to better assist you, please answer the following questions:

• Have you tried changing the resolution of the monitor through Intel HD Graphics Control Panel?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, go to Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and try changing the resolution to get the best picture and size of the video displayed on your monitor.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed.

1. Sudden bizarre display issues while connecting to TV refresh and resolution being changed. - Similar Threads - Sudden bizarre display

2. Extending display suddenly broke after changing resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending display suddenly broke after changing resolution: I have been using 2 monitors with no issue on windows 11. One is at 1440p and the other at 1080p. Tried changing the resolution on one of the monitors to 2160p which it turned out to not support. After this, I cannot extend the display on both monitors. Duplicating and...
  3. Extending display suddenly broke after changing resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending display suddenly broke after changing resolution: I have been using 2 monitors with no issue on windows 11. One is at 1440p and the other at 1080p. Tried changing the resolution on one of the monitors to 2160p which it turned out to not support. After this, I cannot extend the display on both monitors. Duplicating and...
  4. Display resolution issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display resolution issues: Hi all At my wits end! I came home yesterday to find my screen resolution had altered presumably during an automatic update or alternatively a power cut. I have a 24 inch monitor which handles a 1920 x 1080 resolution. The maximum showing on the device manager display tab...
  5. Change the display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change the display resolution: I want to change the display resolution from 1366 X 768 to 1920 X 1080. How can I do that? In my system OS is Windows 10 Home and the highest display resolution is appearing as 1366 X 768....
  6. Changing refresh rate causing severe resolution issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing refresh rate causing severe resolution issues: Thanks for reading, im having trouble with my display settings. When I change the refresh rate to 144hz the resolution drops from 1920x1080 to 920x1060 or something similar. Its a bad resolution for sure, was wondering if anyone knew how i could fix it? Rocking a gtx 1070ti...
  7. Display resolution issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display resolution issues: The normal display resolution for my computer screen is 1920 x 1080. Lately, for reasons I can't fathom, I'll wake the computer up and the resolution will have changed to 1680 x 1050. This produces a stretched, kind of squashed appearance. When I go to Display Settings, the...
  8. display resolution issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    display resolution issue: ok so ive looked ofr answers everywhere and tried a variety of things like removing drivers and re instaling them and making sure my graphics driver is up to date etc. nothing is working. my problem is this. when my computer boots up while connected to my big tv (48" samsung...
  9. 4k tv resolution issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4k tv resolution issue: I'm running an LG 4k UHD tv with a GTX 1080. The first day I brought it home I was able to set the proper 3840x2160 resolution but then I updated the driver. Now anytime I set that resolution, starting from the standard 1920x1080, I get a black screen. It's not the TV...
  10. Display Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Resolution Issue: Hey there, I'm having an issue with my Dell Inspiron N411z running Windows 10 TP 10130. The screen resolution is very off and everything is bloated. I tried going into both Settings and Control Panel and neither could fix the issue. Do you think this may be a driver issue?...