Windows 10: Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games

Discus and support Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I recently ordered new parts in mid April, switching from Intel/NVIDIA to AMD entirely. I put together the computer and kept only a few things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by andojj, May 24, 2020.

1. andojj Win User

Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games

Hi,

I recently ordered new parts in mid April, switching from Intel/NVIDIA to AMD entirely. I put together the computer and kept only a few things from my old build, which would be my PSU and storage HDD and SSD. At first I simply had my AMD GPU in my old build, but while trying to play Valorant and some other games this would lead to black screen crashing. I figured it was a clash of potential NVIDIA and AMD drivers, so I uninstalled NVIDIA's drivers and all its files and kept it clean. I ALSO BENT TWO PINS ON THE CPU, BUT MANAGED TO STRAIGHTEN THEM QUITE PERFECTLY. I AM NOT A SMART MAN.

From there I moved to my all AMD system including new ram and mobo. I ran into issues again, which wouldn't let me play certain games as my monitors would go black and then following that my computer would restart entirely. I figured a clean reinstall of Windows might help, so that's exactly what I did. It went fine for a while, but during that time I really only played a unity game called Realm of the Mad God. This issue has only occurred on me while I was playing the following games: Sea of Thieves, Valorant, and Monster Hunter: World. These games are obviously more demanding, and I also have a 2560x1440 monitor so I have been taking advantage of that. I run into the same issue, which seem to go away for a little while but always find their way back to me. It tends to black screen crash and then restart, I will then let it restart and try to launch the game again, and will soon after experience the same thing. Then I try to do something to help, like open OHM Open Hardware Monitor and check the temps, which are always in a safe range, albeit the CPU spikes spike and then fall often.

Here are my specs:
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700XT

Mobo - B450 Tomahawk non max. I have the BIOS update to allow 3rd gen Ryzen functionality installed.

RAM - Corsair LPX 16GB 3200MHz.

PSU - Corsair CX 750W. PSU is roughly 6 - 7 years old.

I've done these things to try and fix the issue:

1. Reseat the GPU

2. Reseat the CPU and AIO cooler.

3. Reseat the RAM and move it into different slots.

4. Pressed firmly on all power connections going into the mobo and GPU to ensure they were in all the way.

5. Watched temps while playing demanding games and while idling with Chrome and Discord open.

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled AMD drivers, including updating them as of the day of this post.

7. Installed AMD chipset drivers.

8. Check event viewer.

Event viewer has given me some useful information, which seem to point to GPU, and some not useful information, which only shows the event. Every time I experience this I will receive a critical event 41, task category 63. Most of the time the BugcheckCode shows 0, which will have mostly 0's in all categories. But sometimes I will receive BugcheckCode 278 with varying BugcheckParameters. Here are two examples:

BugcheckCode278
    BugcheckParameter10xffffb28eda502050
    BugcheckParameter20xfffff80524260818
    BugcheckParameter30xffffffffc0000001
    BugcheckParameter40x3
    SleepInProgress0
    PowerButtonTimestamp0
    BootAppStatus0
    Checkpoint41
    ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn1
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse
    CheckpointStatus0

BugcheckCode0
    BugcheckParameter10x0
    BugcheckParameter20x0
    BugcheckParameter30x0
    BugcheckParameter40x0
    SleepInProgress0
    PowerButtonTimestamp0
    BootAppStatus0
    Checkpoint41
    ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn4
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse
    CheckpointStatus0

I'm going to update my BIOS and check for Windows updates as of now, but any insight would be appreciated. I am so sorry for the length of this post, but I'm kind of lost as this issue is very annoying and worrisome.

:)

andojj, May 24, 2020

2. Critical Kernel Power 41 (63): Black screen, restart when playing game

Kernel Power 41 63

Computer turns black and automatically restarts when playing high demanding games, no BSOD, not overclocked.

Games that have crashed:

• Far Cry 4
    • The Division
    • Fortnite
    • Overwatch
    • Counter Strike GO
    • Last Man Standing

Specs:

• Cooler master 550w PSU
    • RX 470 4gb
    • Pentium g4560
    • Asrock MATX b250m MOBO
    • 2x 4gb rip jaws RAM
    • WD 1tb HDD
    • Gammamax 300 CPU Cooler

I built the PC myself, errors started when playing high demanding games for the first time. Ran stress tests when first built, prime95 and heaven whilst logging temps for 8 hours, no crashes or high temps (max cup temp 54 C, max gpu temp 76 C). However, when playing games, within an hour, computer crashes (always kernel 41 63). I sent the PC to the outlet where I purchased the parts from, they had their own technicians run tests on all the parts. Initially, they found a fault with the PSU, which was at that time a 500w EVGA bronze. They replaced it with a 550w Cooler master gold. Still experienced 41 63, black out and restarts. Took it back, I said I suspected the MOBO was the issue, so they replaced it under warranty, problem persisted. I took it back for a third time, they took it to their head office, did extensive testing and found a fault with the CPU, they replaced it. Took them 3 weeks to complete... issue is still not resolved.

At this point, my computer has been disassembled and parts replaced multiple times.

Things I have done:

• Updated all drivers (CPU, GPU, BIOS, sound etc)
    • Clean installation of Windows 10 multiple times
    • Stress tested with Heaven and Prime95
    • Logged temperatures while stress testing and playing games, haven’t seen any high temps
    • Disabled and enabled different sound drivers to test for conflicts
    • Replaced PSU, MOBO and CPU

I’ve logged temps when both stress testing and while playing games. Here is my latest HWINFO log when playing Fortnite and then black screen and restart, kernel power 41 63. crash-test.CSV

Happy to run any tests, suggestions and upload further logs. Really stuck on what to do....

gondorcalls, May 24, 2020
  3. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, May 24, 2020
  4. davcdavc Win User

Random black screen while playing Games

i have already long time this problem every time i play games got Black Screen (No Signal at monitor) computer remains on and i need restart pc and is fine but after i play again games = black screen

tested on max and i dident got black screen

Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games o8dm5j.jpg

davcdavc, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games - Similar Threads - Sudden Black Screen

2. pc freezes while playing games, goes to black screen then restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc freezes while playing games, goes to black screen then restarts: This has started happening today and so far has happened twice. A few minutes after opening my PC for the first time on this day, my screen froze and made a buzzing sound. Background noise from my call was able to be heard and I could speak as well. A few seconds after, my PC...
  3. Computer Blue Screens and restarts while playing games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Blue Screens and restarts while playing games.: I have run the mini dumps and the main dump through Windbg. Here are the results of the main dump.SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 3bAn exception happened while executing a system service routine.Arguments:Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the BugCheckArg2:...
  4. Computer Blue Screens and restarts while playing games.

Computer Blue Screens and restarts while playing games.: I have run the mini dumps and the main dump through Windbg. Here are the results of the main dump.SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 3bAn exception happened while executing a system service routine.Arguments:Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the BugCheckArg2:...
  5. Black screen while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen while playing games: I bought this card gt 1030 while playing games i got a black screen and Hearing Windows sound like when you remove a pendrive from the pc and the game Works again.I'm using this card with a hdmi-vga cable beacuse my monitor has no hdmi slot. How to fix it???...
  6. Black screen while playing games

Black screen while playing games: I bought this card gt 1030 while playing games i got a black screen and Hearing Windows sound like when you remove a pendrive from the pc and the game Works again.I'm using this card with a hdmi-vga cable beacuse my monitor has no hdmi slot. How to fix it???...
  7. Computer is giving me black screens while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is giving me black screens while playing games: When I play games on my computer, my screen goes black, my LED lights on my fan start flickering, and I can't do anything but turn off my computer and restart, and even when I restart, my LED lights are still flickering, and the same thing happens when I try and play a game,...
  8. Black Screen While Playing A Game.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen While Playing A Game.: Hello, My pc is experiencing a problems these 5 days, which is a 'black screen' while playing a game the whole screen goes black, and the only cure to this is to restart pc, but it still goes black when I play a game again. [behind the black screen there is still playing the...
  9. Sudden black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden black screen while gaming: Randomly I get this black screen while gaming and I have to force shutdown the pc I think it is a software problem, because I do not have gpu related issues on Linux (even keeping it 100% full load for days) What could I do? submitted by /u/RazerPSN [link] [comments]...
  10. screen goes black all on a sudden while playing game everytime

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen goes black all on a sudden while playing game everytime: hi joydeep sir my screen goes black all on sudden while playing fifa 18 everytime. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-black-all-on-a-sudden-while-playing/d17803bf-2087-43ce-9673-f463ad0ebff1