Windows 10: Sudden Copy/Paste Folders in File Explorer Behavior Change

Discus and support Sudden Copy/Paste Folders in File Explorer Behavior Change in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; File Explorer used to give me the option to either overwrite or skip existing files when copying a folder from one drive to another to replace a same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pvan42, Nov 28, 2016.

1. pvan42 Win User

Sudden Copy/Paste Folders in File Explorer Behavior Change

File Explorer used to give me the option to either overwrite or skip existing files when copying a folder from one drive to another to replace a same name folder on the target drive.
    Today, that option dialog disappeared and the copy-paste process resulted in the automatic creation of a new folder on the target drive named CopiedFolderName - Copy. I want the option to overwrite back!
    FWIW, I'm on Win 10 Pro build 14965.
    Any suggestions very much appreciated!

:)

pvan42, Nov 28, 2016
  2. Ken451 Win User

Multiple Instances of Documents folder Under "This PC"

I'm running the latest version of windows 10 64 bit pro (as of 8/19/15). I've redirected all file folders under my user account to OneDrive, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos and shared them with the home group. The problem arises anytime I make
    changes to any of the listed folders (Cut, copy, paste, new file, delete file) produce multiple instances of the folder that I've preformed the action on under "This PC" in file explorer. Those copies remain there until I close and reopen Explorer. I'm at
    a complete loss whether it's the redirect or the share that's causing this but, it's most annoying. I have turned on and off sharing with the home group with no change in behavior. I have searched everywhere I can think of but, cannot find a similar situation.
    Any help or suggestions on where to look for help will be appreciated.

Ken451, Nov 28, 2016
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hi Likhitha,

I was able to try your suggestions in your post on June 10th. As far as the questions you asked:

1. On Google Play Store, searching 'phone companion' or 'Windows 10 phone companion', it doesn't show any apps that look like they would help copy files between folders on the mobile device. Please let me know specifically what you are referring to.

2. The behavior I described in my June 9th post is the same for the SD card or phone memory space.

3. I am trying to use File Explorer to copy the files. I am navigating to the origin folder on the phone with File Explorer and clicking 'Copy'. Then navigating to the destination folder with File Explorer and clicking 'Paste'. I am then seeing the behavior
    that I described in my June 9th post. As I wrote, if I use my Windows 7 PC, I can copy files this way with Windows Explorer with no problem.

I then went to Device Manager and was able to see the 'SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device' under USB Controllers, and I updated the driver for this. Even after rebooting the PC, the behavior was the same as I described in my June 9th post.

Again, thank you for working with me on this, and I look forward to hearing what you suggest trying at this point.

Curious2XT, Nov 28, 2016
Thema:

Sudden Copy/Paste Folders in File Explorer Behavior Change

1. Sudden Copy/Paste Folders in File Explorer Behavior Change - Similar Threads - Sudden Copy Paste

2. File Explorer - Dodgy Folder Naming Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - Dodgy Folder Naming Behavior: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎1/‎2020 OS build 19045.3693 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0 In File Explorer, in the Navigation Pane, when I create a new folder and start to type in the name, the cursor will automatically...
  3. File Explorer - Dodgy Folder Naming Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer - Dodgy Folder Naming Behavior: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎1/‎2020 OS build 19045.3693 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0 In File Explorer, in the Navigation Pane, when I create a new folder and start to type in the name, the cursor will automatically...
  4. File Explorer - Dodgy Folder Naming Behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  6. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  7. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Question Strange folder behavior. Files change position in Pictures folder. Explorer...

Question Strange folder behavior. Files change position in Pictures folder. Explorer...: Hello, the title pretty much sums it up. Here is also a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhFPuN8PeWI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-strange-folder-behavior-files-change/0844c9d1-a261-41e5-a368-baa5b43076be
  9. File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste

File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste: I've been trying to copy, paste and delete files on a couple of USB sticks and I've just run into problem after problem. Usually everything works fine, but today I've had some really weird things happen. When I was trying to copy and paste files, it said I could copy and...
  10. Pasting copied images to File Explorer

Pasting copied images to File Explorer: Yesterday I could copy images from a browser and paste them straight to the file explorer. The assigned name consisted of random numbers and letters but the whole point is that I could copy and paste the image straight to the desired folder or any other program. I'm trying it...