Windows 10: Sudden Decrease in Performance?

Discus and support Sudden Decrease in Performance? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ok, first off, I upgraded to the insider preview a long time ago from Win7 Ulti. I can't recall exactly when, but it was sometime between November and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SylenThunder, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Sudden Decrease in Performance?

Ok, first off, I upgraded to the insider preview a long time ago from Win7 Ulti. I can't recall exactly when, but it was sometime between November and January. When I was still on 7, I was having some intermittent issues, and was thinking about wiping, but then I just upgraded.

Since then, things have been awesome. (With the exception of the issue with full-screen DX9 apps since 10130 or somesuch. Can't wait for them to fix that.) However, just recently I started having a really odd performance issue. I notice it mostly when I'm opening a browser or Steam. Well, I take that back. The PC will sometimes take a few minutes longer to start up than normal. I forget that one though because I hardly ever turn the PC off or reboot it.

I have monitored the system when I'm seeing this huge delay, but cannot for the life of me narrow down the cause. CPU is between 3 and 8%. RAM is around 22%, and nothing seems to be hung or clocking. Yet it's taking 3-5 times longer for the application to open up. As if the CPU was busy doing a bunch of other tasks, or the RAM is full and dumping, but neither is the case.

I'm currently running the standard build and turned off the insider updates. My CPU is an i7-3930, 16GB RAM, and a GTX660Ti GPU. I can upload a Speccy if that would help. I'm leaning towards doing a wipe, but really would like to avoid that if at all possible. I hate spending a week restoring everything and then realizing I missed something in the export.

:)

SylenThunder, Sep 2, 2015
  2. daskeland Win User

N8 Sudden Decrease In Battery Life

After three additional Belle refreshes, power consumption is back to the way it was prior to initial refresh; medium usage, 2 days+ between charges.

daskeland, Sep 2, 2015
  3. N8 Sudden Decrease In Battery Life

Just to say that my N8 battery never lasted more than a day from whence I bought it. I have just gone upto belle and I'm now getting just over a day. I suspect a lot of these standby variations must be down to the batteries themselves or a change in the
    charging cycle.

Greycounciller, Sep 2, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Sudden Decrease in Performance?

topgundcp, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Those were the first steps I took, but I don't recall offhand if I ran the TFC. I'll have to give that a shot when I get home.

SylenThunder, Sep 2, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    In addition you might want to run: chkdsk /r C:
    and also from admin command prompt:
    • Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • sfc /scannow

topgundcp, Sep 2, 2015
  7. pete1208 Win User
    When it happens, bring up task manager and check your disk IO. I've noticed that win 10 loves to peg it a 100% after sign-in for 60 secs or so. So I set steam to not start on signin. I wait for the disk to IO to stop.

Others have suggested that some 3rd party anti-virus cause problems. If you upgraded and left it on, try removing it.

pete1208, Sep 2, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

Having the same issue recently. Upon boot up, the system goes to black screen for about 30 seconds before opening up to desktop. I think it's because of Steam. It's like an OS within an OS or something.

badrobot, Sep 2, 2015
  9. SFC didn't find anything wrong, but running an integrity check on the drive from Partition Manager did show that it was "dirty" and it repaired the file system errors. I also additionally defragged the MFT. After performing all 6 steps, my PC is back to how it was running previously.

Thanks guys!

SylenThunder, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sudden Decrease in Performance? - Similar Threads - Sudden Decrease Performance

2. significant performance decrease

in Windows 10 Gaming
    significant performance decrease: i have a gaming pc which runs very good on most games but today my pc has been acting weird and on games i have the worst fps just randomly like that.before i would have very good fps on a game called squad for example, where i would have 60-70 fps at best but now it is just...
  3. significant performance decrease

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    significant performance decrease: i have a gaming pc which runs very good on most games but today my pc has been acting weird and on games i have the worst fps just randomly like that.before i would have very good fps on a game called squad for example, where i would have 60-70 fps at best but now it is just...
  4. significant performance decrease

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Decreased gaming performance.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decreased gaming performance.: Why is it that after updating W11 22H2 the performance of playing games has decreased and it often crashes, even though all the drivers from Nvidia have been updated, Thank you....
  6. Decreased gaming performance.

Decreased gaming performance.: Why is it that after updating W11 22H2 the performance of playing games has decreased and it often crashes, even though all the drivers from Nvidia have been updated, Thank you....
  7. BATTERY ISSUE AND PERFORMANCE DECREASING.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BATTERY ISSUE AND PERFORMANCE DECREASING.: Dear Microsoft team, I would like to raise issue of my HP laptop battery performance and the system getting slower day by day. So it has been two and a half years of my purchase my system has deteriorated drastically in the past 7 months, battery performance is almost zero,...
  8. BATTERY ISSUE AND PERFORMANCE DECREASING.

BATTERY ISSUE AND PERFORMANCE DECREASING.: Dear Microsoft team, I would like to raise issue of my HP laptop battery performance and the system getting slower day by day. So it has been two and a half years of my purchase my system has deteriorated drastically in the past 7 months, battery performance is almost zero,...
  9. Windows performance decreased

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows performance decreased: So i did a new installation of windows from a Srttrail.txt error with a USB. Unfortunately my Lenovo Laptop has bad performance now running games. It was like 60 fps and now down to 12 fps....
  10. Sudden Decrease in PC performance windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden Decrease in PC performance windows 10: this started happening just yesterday my computer has the following specs for further details CPU- i7 6700k 4.0ghz ram-32 GB GPU- sli 2x1080 so lets get to the issue at hand my pc usually runs great can watch any videos with ease or play any games with high fps but...