Windows 10: Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.

Discus and support Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why would I get a "Protected folder access blocked" notification from Defender when I open an xls under the conditions listed below? The app is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mjohnsonn2, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.

Why would I get a "Protected folder access blocked" notification from Defender when I open an xls under the conditions listed below?

The app is EXCEL.EXE, the folder is D:\Documents\Stuff.

1. I've accessed the same xls in that same folder many many times in the past and gotten no "blocked" notification so apparently it has not been necessary to add EXCEL.EXE to the CFA "allowed app" list in the past.

2. D:\Documents has always been on the CFA protected folders list.

3. Even though the message said access was blocked, the xls opened fine.

I have made no changes since this happened. I did not add Excel.exe to the allowed list, but I can now open the xls without any Defender notifications coming up.

Sure I can ignore the incident, but any ideas about what happened?

Windows 10 Pro 19042.685
    Office 2019

:)

mjohnsonn2, Dec 24, 2020

2. Windows Defender Blocking

CFA is a new Windows Defender anti-ransomware feature, and if you feel that you don’t need ransomware protection, then you can just follow the steps in this article to turn off CFA:

Allow a blocked app in Windows Security

However, that Microsoft article is purporting to tell us how to:

“Add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked.”

When in fact it's really only telling us how to turn off CFA – which will allow your friendly apps access to protected folders to be sure; but right along with unfriendly apps, malware, ransomware, and data wipers –
    so it’s important to understand how logically distorted this particular article is.
    Turning off CFA is not allowing an app through CFA; and it’s not allowing an app through the WDSC; it’s just turning off CFA – which means that nothing will be blocked. If nothing is blocked, then nothing can be “allowed”.

The Microsoft article that actually describes how to allow a blocked app through CFA is right here:

Virus & threat protection in Windows Security

When you see one of these Unauthorized Changes Blocked notifications; follow these simple steps to allow the program through
    Controlled Folder Access:

1. Click on the notifications icon at the far right in the taskbar.

2. Write down the file path provided in the notification.

3. Click on the notification, and then on the Add button (+).

4. Navigate to the file identified in the notification, and then select and “open” it.

The file path in the Unauthorized Changes Blocked notification tends to be truncated – although there’s usually enough of it there to locate the app without any trouble if you just assume that it’s in the Program Files or Program Files
    (x86) directory. If the file path is truncated to the point where you can’t locate the blocked app in the file-picker dialog; then open
    Event Viewer; navigate to the Windows Defender Operational
    log; and locate the blocking event (Event ID 1123):

1. Right-click on the Start button and select Event Viewer.

2. Navigate to Applications and Services
    >
    Microsoft > Windows
    > Windows Defender > Operational

3. Filter for (or just look for): Event ID

Generally speaking, CFA should be turned off whenever you’re installing any new application, and then turned back on again once the installation is complete.

Additional information can be found here:

Windows Defender is blocking too much saying it viruses

If CFA starts blocking apps when you haven’t enabled it, this might be the effect of a compatibility bug that seems to be activating CFA in the presence of some third-party AV apps. In this case, the first thing to try would be disabling the third-party
    AV to see if this activates Windows Defender. If so, then toggle CFA on, and then back off again – and then enable the third-party AV in order to turn Defender back off. If that doesn’t work, then you’ll probably have to uninstall, and then reinstall the third-party
    AV app.

Additionally, some third-party AV apps that are capable or running in tandem with Defender (in its real-time mode) might cause problems with CFA. For example, we’re not sure if the anti-exploit protection packaged with Malwarebytes Premium is fully
    compatible with Windows Defender’s CFA.

If CFA is acting erratically in the absence of a third-party AV app then follow these troubleshooting steps

1. Remove any undetected malware by scanning with several third-party malware-removal apps, starting with Malwarebytes Free:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...al-tools/d824b9af-ebd8-4c47-94e2-8ee6c544c100

2. Remove any antimalware remnants by running the cleanup utilities for any preinstalled or previously installed AV apps:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...al-tools/2bcb53f7-7ab4-4ef9-ab3a-6aebfa322f75

3. Run the standard Windows 10 system integrity checks:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

GreginMich, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Defender Blocking An APPLEIEDAV File Repeatedly

You should be able to verify the file’s signature by right-clicking on it and selecting
    Properties.

Controlled Folder Access is a new Windows Defender
    anti-ransomware feature, and if you don’t want ransomware protection, then you can dismiss these
    Unauthorized Changes Blocked notifications just by turning off CFA:

Windows Defender Security Center > Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access

You can also continue to get notifications about unauthorized access events, but without having the access blocked, by setting CFA to
    Audit Mode.

Right-Click on the Start button and launch
    PowerShell (Admin)
    ; and then copy, paste, and enter this command:

Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess AuditMode

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...guard/enable-controlled-folders-exploit-guard

To allow the program through Controlled Folder Access when you see the
    Unauthorized Changes Blocked notification; follow these simple steps:

1. Click on the notifications icon at the far right in the taskbar.

2. Write down the program’s file path as provided in the notification.

3. Click on the notification, and then on the Add button (+).

4. Navigate to the file identified in the notification, and then select and
    Open it.

The file path in the Unauthorized Changes Blocked notification tends to be truncated – although there’s usually enough of it there to locate the app without any trouble if you just assume that it’s in the Program Files or Program Files
    (x86) directory. If the file path is truncated to the point where you can’t locate the blocked app in the file-picker dialog; then open
    Event Viewer; navigate to the Windows Defender Operational
    log; and locate the blocking event (Event ID 1123):

1. Right-click on the Start button and select Event Viewer.

2. Navigate to Applications and Services
    >
    Microsoft > Windows
    > Windows Defender > Operational

3. Filter for (or just look for): Event ID

Generally speaking, CFA should be turned off whenever you’re installing any new application, and then turned back on again once the installation is complete.

Additional information can be found here:

Windows Defender is blocking too much saying it viruses

Troubleshooting Steps:

If CFA starts blocking apps when you haven’t enabled it, this might be the effect of a compatibility bug that seems to be activating CFA in the presence of some third-party AV apps. In this case, the first thing to try would be disabling the third-party
    AV to see if this activates Windows Defender. If so, then toggle CFA on, and then back off again – and then enable the third-party AV in order to turn Defender back off. If that doesn’t work, then you’ll probably have to uninstall, and then reinstall, the
    third-party AV app.

Additionally, some third-party AV apps that are capable or running in tandem with Defender (in its real-time mode) might cause problems with CFA. For example, Malwarebytes Premium might need to have its compatibility settings changed – and we’re not
    sure if the anti-exploit protection packaged with Malwarebytes Premium is fully compatible with Windows Defender’s CFA.

If CFA is acting erratically in the absence of a third-party AV app, then follow these troubleshooting steps

1. Remove any undetected malware by scanning with several third-party malware-removal apps, starting with Malwarebytes Free:

List of Malware Removal Tools

2. Remove any antimalware remnants by running the cleanup utilities for any preinstalled or previously installed AV apps:

List of anti-malware product removal tools

3. Run the standard Windows 10 system integrity checks:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

GreginMich, Dec 24, 2020
  4. NikSilver Win User

Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.

Why does Controlled Folder Access block known Microsoft executables?

Hello all

I use Controlled Folder Access (CFA), and every so often I get a notification telling me that a Microsoft program has been blocked from making changes to memory. I am very happy with CFA, and I'm very able to add and remove programs from the "allowed" list.
    That is not my question.

My question is: why are known Microsoft executables (which are part of Windows 10) being blocked? Surely CFA should know about Windows 10's own executables.

My usual response to this is just ignore it; everything carries on fine when I ignore it. In the screenshot below WmiPrvSE.exe is being blocked, and that's part of Windows 10 itself. This has happened a few times a day for the last week or so. I'm ignoring
    the notifications and I expect them to go away eventually. And I expect to get notifications later about some other Windows 10 executable being blocked.

Another obvious question is: Can I do anything to "refresh" CFA's knowledge about which executables are legitimate Windows 10 programs. I don't want to add all these programs to the "allowed" list. I just think CFA ought to know which executables are part
    of Windows 10 and are allowed, and that maybe I ought to be able to "remind" it.

So in summary:

• Why are Windows 10's own executables being blocked by CFA?
    • Can I do anything to "remind" CFA about what it should know already?

Many thanks.

Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked. 0b4e3259-9fe7-446f-9516-665c3d754385?upload=true.jpg

NikSilver, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked.

1. Sudden Defender CFA "blocked" notification. Nothing blocked. - Similar Threads - Sudden Defender CFA

2. My notification setting is blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My notification setting is blocked: The notifications in my setting is blocked. I cannot turn it on so I could not get any notification from apps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-notification-setting-is-blocked/37b16809-ca04-4c9e-9528-5835890d0540
  3. Frozen notification blocks screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen notification blocks screen: This notification see image comes up and freezes each time we use our laptop. I have switched notifications off yet this still happens and means we lose part of the screen when trying to work. Any ideas how to get rid of this and stop it continually appearing other than...
  4. CFA blocking svchost.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CFA blocking svchost.exe: my CFA is blocking a a process with the name of svchost.exe. I provided it access to it. Is my laptop safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cfa-blocking-svchostexe/5afee0d3-1607-4c56-8330-ac8d01ec3a0d
  5. CFA blocking svchost.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CFA blocking svchost.exe: my CFA is blocking a a process with the name of svchost.exe. I provided it access to it. Is my laptop safe? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cfa-blocking-svchostexe/5afee0d3-1607-4c56-8330-ac8d01ec3a0d
  6. Defender firewall block

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender firewall block: This opened when I logged in: Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of SchedulerConsole on all public and private networks. Name: SchedulerConsole Publisher: Unknown Path: C:\program files...
  7. CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CFA blocking explorer.exe and Word etc - why??: As the subject says. Really strange. Keeps blocking random things when using the official Office programs. I've added them to the allow app section now, but I feel it may continue to block more. Is it ok to white list them or should I be keeping whatever it's blocking...
  8. Defender blocking everything

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defender blocking everything: Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem that I have started having with defender, It blocks everything I try to do, I cannot save any pictures or add music files to now playing lists without it throwing up a message and blocking everything...….I have attached a...
  9. Accidentally block chrome notifications

in Browsers and Email
    Accidentally block chrome notifications: I accidentally block chrome notifications from Action Center by right clicking and stop show notifications. How to unblock this? 119176
  10. Accidentally block chrome notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally block chrome notifications: I accidentally block chrome notifications from Action Center by right clicking and stop show notifications. How to unblock this? 119176